Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-15-2021, 01:39 PM   #1

SuperSteer SS401 Questions

Hey Guys,

So my trac bar came in today, and I’m reading the instructions. How did you guys torque the 3/4” end rod bolt and the jam nuts on the frame bracket? Neither scenario will accommodate a socket, so the normal way I’d torque a fastener or bolt is not viable.

Thanks much.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 07:57 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
Hey Guys,

So my trac bar came in today, and I’m reading the instructions. How did you guys torque the 3/4” end rod bolt and the jam nuts on the frame bracket? Neither scenario will accommodate a socket, so the normal way I’d torque a fastener or bolt is not viable.

Thanks much.
Just installed mine 401 today, the jam nut on the rod end I put a crescent on and put a lot of my 200lbs on it and called it good. don't think it really does much... The jam nuts on the frame bracket don't have a torque so I tightened with a crescent as well.

My biggest problem was getting my rod to extend far enough to line up with the frame bracket. It was tough to work the threads of the frame end far enough, they would bind as if they were slightly boogerd. Had to remove the rod after installing it and work it out far enough then reinstall. Once work out the threads were smooth. Whole project took about twice as long as I expected, just about right...

I went for a interstate test drive afterwards and HUGE difference when semis pass. Still feel them but 90% better. (18K 190inch 2020 F53 29F with lots of overhang).
Tarjas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 07:39 AM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to Foretm
I had mine installed at a truck shop, so not sure how they did it, but i'm with Tarjas, i say do the best you can with what you can get in there.

If you really want to, you could get one of these....

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WVX5Y5B/
Foretm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 08:19 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foretm View Post
I had mine installed at a truck shop, so not sure how they did it, but i'm with Tarjas, i say do the best you can with what you can get in there.

If you really want to, you could get one of these....

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WVX5Y5B/
Ahhh, very handy to have but spendy to get ! Exactly what this job needs though ….

Old 05-16-2021, 09:08 AM   #5

While you are from there be sure and check the torque on your sway bar bolts. The left side top and bottom bracket boots were loose enough to turn by hand. Yikes. Ford really hasn’t given me much confidence so far on a brand new RV.
Tarjas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 04:21 PM   #6

So to answer my question for those interested, apparently you need a crow’s foot adapter. For the Jam nuts on the plate, its this size:

Crows Foot for jamb nut

I will need an even bigger version for the jamb nut on the actual bar.

Here is a calculator to figure out the torque setting if you use a crow’s foot:
Torque Wrench/Extension calculator

Tags
ss401, supersteer, torque