Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-29-2021, 08:51 AM   #1

Suspension

We have a 2020 31ft Allante and want to get a smoother ride with more control. What have some of you done to improve the ride on the hwy? Shocks, any sway devices?
Ken Dodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 09:36 AM   #2

Make sure your tires are set to the right pressure as shown on the door pillar card. Not the sidewall pressure which is the max allowed for max load carrying. If you have replaced the tires it may be different and check with the tire manufacturer as to the pressure based on weight carried.

For example I bought new tires that had a higher weight rating so based on Goodyear chart I only needed 10 pounds less than sidewall to carry my actual (scaled) load.
Over pressure tires will give a harsh ride, handling problems and premature tire wear.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 11:22 AM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to Foretm
In addition to tire pressure, depending on your model, you may consider the following:

1. Tracbar - also referred to as a pan hard bar, but basically prevents the axle from moving side to side when under load, but allows it to move up and down. Putting one of these on the rear axle will help immensely with sway and feeling like the rear end is being psuhed around by passing trucks, etc.

2. Steering Stabilizer - A horizontal shock absorber of sorts added to the steering arm, which stiffens the steering a bit and reduces rut tracking and will help alot with a front end blowout.

3. Shocks - If you're looking for a smoother ride, you may want to consider aftermarket shocks, most folks prefer the bilsteins. I have not done this mod, but I have the previous two and it was night and day difference. I highly recommend the first two is you have a 31V or any other rig with long overhang and especially 19.5" wheels.
Foretm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 08:05 PM   #4

Yep. We did all 3 (Koni’s all around) and added Sumo’s all around. Tires at 82psi cold. About the best you can do short of getting LiquidSprings installed, they are in Indiana.

#Bru_Tube

Alante31V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 01:35 PM   #5

We bought our Allante 31V a few weeks ago with 4k on it and it has a Roadmaster system on it. Is this a stock system or was it added on?
Ken Dodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 02:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Dodd View Post
We bought our Allante 31V a few weeks ago with 4k on it and it has a Roadmaster system on it. Is this a stock system or was it added on?
Add-on.

We have same one.

#Bru_Tube

Old 01-02-2022, 06:50 AM   #7

In addition to the above, GET IT WIEGHED!!! Front and back, left and right. All four separately. Then call Michelin tech support and they will tell you what tire pressures to use. I found my 2018 31UL was light in the back, Michelin recommend 90psi in the front, and 70psi in the rear. Helped reduce sway.
2020 F150 Sport Toad
TGoldsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 01:33 PM   #8

We ended up putting liquid springs on the back. Helped the ride and holding on the road tremendously.
pmarana3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 09:46 AM   #9

Suspension

Precept owner here, added Roadmaster front controll and Sumo's all around. Helped incrementally. Do not expect a huge difference for anything you do because it is still a big box going down road and will move on you! Check out CHF, Cheap Handling Fix, it is an adjustment to sway bar locations that may or may not be available on your rig. (Wasn't on mine with JRide). Brian
Brians first rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 11:31 PM   #10

OK, If your looking for better handling. I did, steering dampener, panbhard rod or diagional link, Koni shocks with quad shocks in rear, Sumo Springs all around, various sway bar upgrades. Remember Koni shocks are built for comfort and Bilstien are made for performance so they will ride much firmer. I did all these to our 2016 Alante 31L. It handles great big trucks no problem, handlees curbs and gutters without the side rocking or lean.. But it dosen't give you a smoother ride. If you plan on keeping the Alanie for a while Nd an on .many miles go to Liquid Springs. Mine will ship this month.
Old 01-19-2022, 01:28 PM   #11

I have an Alante 31V that I bought new in early 2018. It was pretty loose on the road so I did the CHF on the sway bars, added a Roadmaster steering stabilizer and a Super Steer track bar. My tire recommendation is 83 PSI all around. I run a bit firmer at 85-87 all around. My ride has been really good for the last 4 years and 36,000 miles. However, it is starting to lean a bit on turns and rock so I am considering new KONI FSD shocks and replace my sway bar bushings with polyurethane. I have considered Sumo Springs but my ride is pretty good and I don't think it will improve enough to justify the cost. Might add a Roadmaster HD sway bar to the rear.
HJ Rosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 06:26 PM   #12

For what it is worth, Sumo’s / Koni’s (both all around) seemed to make driving our 31V over 55mph a none issue, sometimes I catch myself going up to 75mph.

#Bru_Tube