Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-15-2019, 06:25 AM   #1

Question Suspension Mods

I have questions. I keep reading about all the mods people are making to Jayco suspensions. I have a 2015 35 UN. It had 8000 miles when I bought it earlier this year. To me it rides great for what it is. Nothing seems unsafe and the cost to comfort ratio doesn't warrant big mods, to me. So my questions.

How can I tell if some of these mods have or haven't been done already crawling around under RV?

If my ride is comfortable are the OEM parts dangerous and still need replacement?

Is 90 psi what everyone rides on?

What is so wrong with steering that everyone seems to do that immediately? Mine steers great.

Does anyone honestly regret spending the time and money making mods for little return?

Sorry for so many questions.

Sold the Harley, Sold the Vett, turned around and bought a Precept!
Somanhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 07:44 AM   #2

Maybe the previous owner did some of the work? If it drives and steers good don't mess with it. These of us that modded usually did it because our coaches were a handful! The f53 is very responsive to mods and is money well spent if you need to do it.

hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 09:21 AM   #3

I would take it to your truck/trailer (dealer) shop. Let them determine to what mods have been done to your rig. OEM parts are generally good for 40,000 miles but there will always be better after market parts out there. Each item you have questions for could be searched through this:

https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=015066...95:_douuy_o5dq

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 12:32 PM   #4

I have a 2018 Alante 26X with around 10K miles, I had a Safe-T-Steer installed when it was fairly new as everybody seemed to think it made the coach handle better and it was safer in case of a blow out. I wish I would have spent that money on gas in the tank and another dozen trips somewhere as it only made the steering wheel harder to turn, it did not make any noticeable change in the way it handled in the wind and I learned how to handle a blow out when I learned how to drive at 15 1/2 years old. If I was just looking for harder steering, I could have disconnected my power steering (sorry I could not resist that one, ha-ha) My opinion is just that and many people seem to like theirs. I am getting ready to install some Air-Bags on the rear Suspension as much of my storage is behind the rear axel and I have noticed just a little sagging in the rear portion of a motorhome that I really enjoy. JH
micp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 08:41 PM   #5

Thank you for your service. I am a Vietnam vet so I can appreciate a little bit of where you are coming from. As previously mentioned it’s a personal choice and comes down to what you’re comfortable with. Some have done the CHF without blinking an eye and then added more mods as needed.
I bought my coach new and it was the first class A I had ever driven. I previously owned a class C and several TT’s over the past 30+ years. I have had it going on 3 years now and never felt it needed any suspension improvements. It’s a truck chassis and I’m perfectly satisfied with how it rides and handles. Maybe I’m too dumb and just don’t know the difference but I’m perfectly OK with that.
I generally drive 62-65 mph pulling a Cherokee Trailhawk, keep the tires at 95 psi, try to keep a safe distance behind the vehicle in front of me and I don’t worry about how many vehicles pass me. My goal is to get to our planned destination safely and enjoy the sights as we go. If we have to get from point A to point B we build in enough travel time so we’re not in a race. I really believe the longer wheelbase of the 35’ makes a difference in handling. The OEM parts are not dangerous but just like your personal car or truck, things wear out and eventually need replacement. Perform the recommended maintenance as required and both you and your coach will be fine.
Do what makes you comfortable. After all that’s what this RV thing is all about. Good luck.