Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-04-2015, 08:37 AM   #1

Tell me what you love and don't love about your Precept

Hi. I'm new to this forum and my husband and I are looking into upgrading our beloved Cougar TT to a Class A. The first Class A that we saw with a floor plan that worked for us was about a year and a half ago when we stumbled onto the Precept 31UL. We walked through and felt that it worked great for our needs. Later, we test drove it and my husband was amazed at how nice it was to drive (the test drive itself has quite the story), but this was his first time driving something of that size and it was great. Since then we have looked at other brands, specifically the Winnebago/Itasca.

My question is, what made you decide on the Precept? What do you love? What do you not love? What would you change? What aspects of the Precept made you decide on it rather than some other brand? Is the couch in the 2016 (we haven't walked through one in almost a year) more comfortable than the 2015? It looks like it might be deeper.

Thanks for any information you can give. If you have pictures or have done some great mods, we'd love to see that too.

Kelly
luv2camp04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 10:18 AM   #2

Why did we buy the 2015 Precept UL? For us, it was the most bang for the buck. We would of liked to have been able to buy a Newmar Canyon Star, but they were $50-60k more. When comparing the other's comparable priced units during our search, these were our deciding factors;
  1. Since most smaller gasser MH's are on the F-53 chassis and have the V10 motor, the drive train's among brands were mostly the same but the "J-Ride did offer a somewhat better driving experience IMO.
  2. Jayco's 2 year warranty was also a contributing factor since most only offer the standard 1 year coverage.
  3. Interior layout
  4. Features were plentiful in the Precept that were all extra in others; 5500 Gennie vs. 4500, 2 AC's, LED lighting throughout, GPS, tough wall compartments with lighting, Fiberglass roof, Tankless WH (though some hate it), Water compartment/controls, Convection Microwave, Slam shut compartment doors.....
Now some dislikes....
  1. Cheap carpet
  2. Bathroom door setup (bedroom accordion closure must be open to gain access to bathroom)
  3. Lack of LP quick connect for grills
Not many dislikes is there..... so that is why we went with the Precept.

Steve

Steve & Sharon
2015 Precept 31UL
Tow - 2010 Honda CR-V
gmapatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 12:14 PM   #3

Definitely bang for the buck. Well said gmapatime
Old 08-04-2015, 12:25 PM   #4

I agree, as well, on the most bang for the buck. In addition we liked the solid surface countertops, the bunks in the 29um (I'm not sure if they will make a bunk model in 2016), the large pass through storage and LED lighting. The J-ride helps in my opinion for a better ride. Certainly better than our old Class C. All of our issues have been very minor.
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
CaptainHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 01:20 PM   #5

We really liked the Winnebago/Itasca, but went with the Precept because it had everything included without all the add ons that other manufacturers had as options. The comparable Winnebago always seemed to be 20-25k more, with less wiggle room in the price.
After purchase, the 2 year warranty is sure to be the added bonus of what I consider to be one of my better decisions.

JoeMazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 07:49 AM   #6

I sure appreciate everyone's responses. We may not be doing this for a year or so (but who knows, could be sooner). It's always great to have some personal perspective on the product.

Some of the negatives that were stated would not really be negatives to us, such as the accordion door. Since it's usually just the two of us, we don't really ever close ours in the trailer now. Also, I noticed someone said something about no LP quick connect, however it looks like they've added that for 2016. The dealer we are talking to sent me a very thorough list of some of the new features for 2016. That is making it hard to resist.

I'd love to hear more opinion or see photos!! I'll keep you posted on what we do. For now, we are taking our trailer to Whidbey Island this weekend for a little R & R!!

Kelly
luv2camp04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 06:21 PM   #7

We had a 31ul first and it was a nightmare. Handling was not good and lots of major warranty issues. Moved up to a 35un and it's much better in handling, floor plan, and so far no major issues. Only one trip of five days and 1250 miles and it was fine. Going to do a 30 day 4500 mile trip in September. We hope it goes well.
Jacobsnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 01:48 PM   #8

There is a Precept owners group here and there is lots of good information and pictures of Precepts.

To get there; click on Communities, then on Social Groups. You will see on this screen, a picture of a Precept. Click on it and you’re in.
SMI Duo "Stay in Play" Braking
Barley, our Golden Retriever, on board and Buster in spirit!

McGarrett50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 05:14 PM   #9

Just picked up our 2015 Precept 35 UP

Bought it in Albany NY and drove to Atlanta.
Handled great, J Ride I guess made the difference from what I read from older models
Camped out 2 nights on the way and everything worked great
One minor problem was with cable TV
Had a lot of "snow" might be connections but other than that it was great
Golferdave78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 07:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golferdave78 View Post
One minor problem was with cable TV
Had a lot of "snow" might be connections but other than that it was great
We had the same problem in our new TT. One of the staff at an RV park was nice enough to check it out when we settled in. The cable outlet on the inside wall has a green light on it with a button next to it. That is for the antenna amplifier (I think that is what it's called). He told me when we are hooked up to cable, just push the button to turn off the amplifier. You only need the amp it you are pulling in the TV signal from the roof antenna. That did the trick for us! Hope it works for you as well.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 23MB Elite
Previous RV's, 1988 33-foot Barth Class A and 1994 Flagstaff Pop-Up
Desert RVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 11:26 AM   #11

x2 to Desert RVers. Also some campgrounds have lousy cable reception and you get snow despite the amplifier being off. One such is the KOA in Fancy Gap, WV. If you plan to stay there, don't count on the cable, wifi or AT&T reception.

Also, bring your mountain goat!
SMI Duo "Stay in Play" Braking
Barley, our Golden Retriever, on board and Buster in spirit!

McGarrett50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 10:16 PM   #12

Check out the 35S. We think it is the best floor plan yet in the Precepts. Full length king bed, more closet space and larger drawers, better shower and in the bathroom. Blade RV Dealer WA | New & Used RVs, Fifth Wheels, Travel Trailers, Toy Haulers, Baja Class A and Class C Motorhomes Sales Mt. Vernon, Washington has some great pics
towing Honda CRV
lilmoover35UN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 05:15 PM   #13

Check to see if your Over the air antenna amplifier was on, had same experience, turned off amplifier and he picture
Ussisteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 08:10 AM   #14

We picked up our new 2015 35UN a couple of weeks ago that we purchased a couple of months ago, The only thing we do not like about it is the accordion door to the bedroom, So I contacted Jayco, after having engineering look into it, it was determined that I was able to order the new sliding door to replace the accordion door like the latest 35UN's are coming through with. So I have ordered it and it will be installed in Albany when it comes in in the next several weeks. Jayco customer service was fantastic on this issue.
nma33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 07:43 AM   #15

Our big issue with our 2015 31UL is the lack of lumbar support in the driver and passenger seats. The seats are well made, each with 6 way power yet there is no lumbar support. Some designer was asleep at the wheel when they came up with this. The 2016 has been upgraded and the new seats are very comfy.
Old 11-29-2015, 12:10 PM   #16

I wonder if it's possible to retrofit the 2015 with the 2016 captain's chairs and what it would cost?
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
CaptainHappy is offline   Reply With Quote