Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-05-2018, 05:38 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
JesseS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenAK View Post
JesseS shouldn't effect warranty because all they did was pull back interior paneling and install two stiffeners at point where ladder attached to back wall. Roof already had factory backing so nothing done there. I had to have pictures of process to make me happy. Or at least as happy as you can be when dealing with stupid. Now what to do with gutter? Maybe install fiberglass plugs in old holes as the will be covered? How do you repair calk under gutter in two or three years? No good answer to (how do you fix stupid).
CW wanted to open my rear wall from the outside, removing all of the trim and caulking to insert backing blocks.... I said no thanks, and ended up with two ladders. Actually the other one is handy for bikes or clothesline.

I am still debating on getting the gutter fixed or leaving it alone. I will wait and see what my RV repair guy thinks.
__________________
2016 Alante 26AY
Roadmaster Braking, BlueOX Tow Bar.
Kelderman Air Ride, Safe-T-Steer, Supersteer Trak Bar rear w/ Sumo Springs.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 06:04 PM   #22
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Goose Creek
Posts: 17
Maybe if the upside down gutter issue becomes a more widespread issue, Jayco will come up with a good, sound fix process for dealers to follow. We can hope.
__________________
Charlie1047
Goose Creek, SC
2017 Jayco Precept 31UL
Toad - 2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport
charlie1047 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 06:16 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Palestine
Posts: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie1047 View Post
Maybe if the upside down gutter issue becomes a more widespread issue, Jayco will come up with a good, sound fix process for dealers to follow. We can hope.
OK so I ran my slide out and I have a 1/4" drop on front slide. Now looking at topper mount looks to me like more holes to lower mounting point on slide. DW had a good idea though!!!!
Maybe mount a piece of channel above this mess, might be worth checking out. Man I love this woman
KenAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 06:27 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Palestine
Posts: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseS View Post
CW wanted to open my rear wall from the outside, removing all of the trim and caulking to insert backing blocks.... I said no thanks, and ended up with two ladders. Actually the other one is handy for bikes or clothesline.

I am still debating on getting the gutter fixed or leaving it alone. I will wait and see what my RV repair guy thinks.
Looks like you and I ought to be easy to spot You with two and me with one on left. Looks like Jayco needs to add some QC to their name. Wish my slide was two inches wider so I had room for my blanket alongside mattress. LOL it's always something.
KenAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 07:08 PM   #25
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Goose Creek
Posts: 17
Look at Trim Lok Drip Rail on Amazon as a possible solution. What do you think?
__________________
Charlie1047
Goose Creek, SC
2017 Jayco Precept 31UL
Toad - 2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport
charlie1047 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 07:30 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Palestine
Posts: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie1047 View Post
Look at Trim Lok Drip Rail on Amazon as a possible solution. What do you think?
Looks like you might be on to something here. Cheap fix with peal and stick 25' long. Heck Jayco might even pick up cost and install. Bet it is a whole better than other options. Anyone else check this out? Good job charlie1047
KenAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 07:42 PM   #27
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Goose Creek
Posts: 17
Thanks but I saw it in the January issue of Motor Home magazine on page 62. The gentleman in the article mounted it above his windshield to prevent streaking from roof run off.

Amazon has longer lengths available so you wouldn't have to piece.

Could be a good solution without putting any more holes in the roof, messing up paint or changing slide topper pitch.
__________________
Charlie1047
Goose Creek, SC
2017 Jayco Precept 31UL
Toad - 2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport
charlie1047 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 04:29 AM   #28
Senior Member
 
klspahr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Carlisle
Posts: 162
I like the trim lok idea. Maybe they’ll start to make it in colors to match Jayco units since there seems to be a lot of us that need it!
klspahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 05:56 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Palestine
Posts: 112
Well I got my email back from Jayco telling me that they installed the gutter track that way so I could install awning covers if I want. So I guess the one on other side must be upside down. I told them I don't buy that answer, we'll see what they say tomorrow. Guess they meant to do that!
Anyone else get that reply?
KenAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 11:39 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Manchester Center
Posts: 1,520
The fight goes on!!

I looked at new Seneca 37ts and they have the same configuration as I do. The bedroom channel is set upside down with the topper mounted in the channel. So I think it might be a hard sell to get them to change it on my model as they apparently designed it this way.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Paul
2018 37TS
Jeep JL
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 07:49 AM   #31
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Odessa
Posts: 409
Awning covers??

The slide topper rolls up into a " hard plastic shell " and uses the channel on the gutter - how would an awning cover mount to the same channel? And what is an awning cover? And why would you want one? And why wouldn't we want one on the right side?
I do like the idea of maybe a 2nd gutter as mentioned
Les
__________________

Les & Sandy
2016 Seneca HJ - Scangauge D - Truma Comfort
560 watts solar - Blue Sky 3024iL -IPN ProRemote - Trojan T-105RE
Good Sam Life Member - FMCA Member - Passport America
Les7h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 08:30 AM   #32
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Palestine
Posts: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVermont View Post
I looked at new Seneca 37ts and they have the same configuration as I do. The bedroom channel is set upside down with the topper mounted in the channel. So I think it might be a hard sell to get them to change it on my model as they apparently designed it this way.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OK just got off phone with Jayco and that is the way they are installed. Said this was to keep awning from rubbing (I assume in closed position) and to facilitate mounting topper due to height of topper. No reply to my comment that it might be a design flaw that the topper was so high that if rail was mounted gutter up topper water would run back to motorhome. So it looks like aftermarket stick-on channel is my only answer.
KenAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 10:20 AM   #33
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Palestine
Posts: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Les7h View Post
The slide topper rolls up into a " hard plastic shell " and uses the channel on the gutter - how would an awning cover mount to the same channel? And what is an awning cover? And why would you want one? And why wouldn't we want one on the right side?
I do like the idea of maybe a 2nd gutter as mentioned
Les
These are both the same thing. The awning cover over a slide is the same as a topper. Some slides don't come with these as standard.
KenAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 09:16 PM   #34
Senior Member
 
JesseS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenAK View Post
Well I got my email back from Jayco telling me that they installed the gutter track that way so I could install awning covers if I want. So I guess the one on other side must be upside down. I told them I don't buy that answer, we'll see what they say tomorrow. Guess they meant to do that!
Anyone else get that reply?
My email, after sending photo's, stated that they would cover the repair, so someone looked at it and decided it was a factory error.
As for the trim Lok, I really like the idea of putting it above the windshield, I get a lot of dirt and black rubber streaks from both rain and heavy dew.
My apt is on Monday and I will let my RV guy decide if it's worth reversing the gutter, or if it will cause issues with the slide toppers, if this is the case I will try to get Jayco to cover the cost of the drip lok.
__________________
2016 Alante 26AY
Roadmaster Braking, BlueOX Tow Bar.
Kelderman Air Ride, Safe-T-Steer, Supersteer Trak Bar rear w/ Sumo Springs.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 07:51 AM   #35
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Palestine
Posts: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseS View Post
My email, after sending photo's, stated that they would cover the repair, so someone looked at it and decided it was a factory error.
As for the trim Lok, I really like the idea of putting it above the windshield, I get a lot of dirt and black rubber streaks from both rain and heavy dew.
My apt is on Monday and I will let my RV guy decide if it's worth reversing the gutter, or if it will cause issues with the slide toppers, if this is the case I will try to get Jayco to cover the cost of the drip lok.
I called Jayco yesterday and was assured that this is the way they install on the drivers side. The person I talked to said she went out to the assembly line and was told that is the correct way. In fact the one she looked at was also installed that way. So no change for me, but I can live with that. So far no new problems that I haven't been able to take care of. Camp On!
KenAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 08:18 AM   #36
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Dale Hollow Lake Tn/Ky
Posts: 2,525
[QUOTE=KenAK;616732]I called Jayco yesterday and was assured that this is the way they install on the drivers side. The person I talked to said she went out to the assembly line and was told that is the correct way. In fact the one she looked at was also installed that way. So no change for me, but I can live with that. So far no new problems that I haven't been able to take care of. Camp On![/QUOTE

Just a thought for Jayco, if the driver side needed to be different than the passenger side wouldn't it make sense to engineer a different gutterrail strip rather than install the original upside down? There are several things on an RV that are side specific so why not a different part for the gutter rail? While you're exchanging calls with Jayco why don't you ask that question.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 08:42 AM   #37
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Palestine
Posts: 112
[QUOTE=Bassdogs;616746]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenAK View Post
I called Jayco yesterday and was assured that this is the way they install on the drivers side. The person I talked to said she went out to the assembly line and was told that is the correct way. In fact the one she looked at was also installed that way. So no change for me, but I can live with that. So far no new problems that I haven't been able to take care of. Camp On![/QUOTE

Just a thought for Jayco, if the driver side needed to be different than the passenger side wouldn't it make sense to engineer a different gutterrail strip rather than install the original upside down? There are several things on an RV that are side specific so why not a different part for the gutter rail? While you're exchanging calls with Jayco why don't you ask that question.
As a mater of fact I suggested that to the person I talked to. There is already a piece made just for awning / topper attachment without gutter. Maybe they could get a bonus for the suggestion. As a P.S. they said the gutter was installed that way to keep it from rubbing on topper (when closed?) She looked at the pictures I sent and said "that's the way they do it".
As I see it on my unit at least this is not a simple fix. With RV level there is only a slight drop of maybe 1/2 inch away from rail. To flip the gutter would lower mounting location, and possibly result in the topper housing rubbing when closed. The is one of those battles I choose not to fight.
KenAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 09:32 AM   #38
Senior Member
 
klspahr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Carlisle
Posts: 162
I know a guy that just looked at an 2017 Alante 26X and both sides are installed “upside down”. That model has a side on both sides.

Just because Jayco installs them that way on purpose does not make it correct in my opinion. It is just bad design and planning. The gutters serves an important purpose.
klspahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 10:03 AM   #39
Senior Member
 
JesseS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by klspahr View Post
I know a guy that just looked at an 2017 Alante 26X and both sides are installed “upside down”. That model has a side on both sides.

Just because Jayco installs them that way on purpose does not make it correct in my opinion. It is just bad design and planning. The gutters serves an important purpose.
Exactly! it is a design flaw for sure, it's like someone found out the slide topper would not fit correctly and drain water due to the attachment point being too low, so instead of re-designing the gutter rail just said, "Oh well, just turn it upside down" So with this type of mentality I am not surprised at all of the other issues we have. I for one will never purchase a Jayco product again.
__________________
2016 Alante 26AY
Roadmaster Braking, BlueOX Tow Bar.
Kelderman Air Ride, Safe-T-Steer, Supersteer Trak Bar rear w/ Sumo Springs.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Jayco, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.