Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-25-2018, 07:33 PM   #1

The fight goes on!!

Well, and here I thought I had found all of the gremlins in my Alante....not!
So today was great weather so I thought I would install the rain gutter spouts I purchased, I was getting a lot of dirt and streaking on both front sides from roof runoff. Installed the passengers side no problem, went to the drivers side and got up on the ladder to remove the caulking to access the rail screw.... and did a double take. Are you ready for this... Jayco installed the gutter and awning rail on the drivers side UPSIDE down, yep, sure did. It just boggles the mind some of the stuff they do. I never noticed as I had no occasion to work on them, and you really have to look at them to notice it. But with it being upside down there is NO GUTTER at all to channel water.
So now it has to go in and I get to fight with Jayco on who pays as my OEM warranty expired 2 weeks ago, hopefully the extended will help cover it but I am not holding my breath.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 08:29 PM   #2

Upside down gutter

Yes our Seneca has the same issue with the driver side gutter & I often thought it was strange that the A/C condensation would run down side of the motorhome but never gave it enough thought until I tried to install rain gutter extensions and figured out the problem.
I hope that you can get Jayco to stand behind the incorrect install ( it will be hard for them to say it happened after the warranty expired ) GOOD LUCK and don't take no for an answer
Les

Les & Sandy
2016 Seneca HJ - Scangauge D - Truma Comfort
560 watts solar - Blue Sky 3024iL -IPN ProRemote - Trojan T-105RE
Good Sam Life Member - FMCA Member - Passport America
Les7h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 09:23 PM   #3

I have contacted Jayco about the gutter, and we will see what happens, I have an apt for the slide work on 3/12 so if I can get this approved it can be corrected on the same visit.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
Old 02-26-2018, 06:22 AM   #4

Maybe it's a new improvement to keep leaves from clogging up the gutter like the leaf guard? Just joking and sorry about your bad luck. Jayco should fix this.

hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 06:37 AM   #5

Kinda of makes you wonder if Jayco performs any kind of generic quality assurance inspection before a rig bearing its name leaves the factory.

John from Central Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 08:33 PM   #6

I received an email back from Jayco today asking for photo's of the gutter, sent them in... now I wait.
Old 02-27-2018, 11:17 AM   #7

Yep, our left side is also upside down. Going to contact Jayco about correcting it. I just have to laugh at some of the things I see. Guess this falls under the category of "Not My Job"
KenAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 11:22 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenAK View Post
Yep, our left side is also upside down. Going to contact Jayco about correcting it. I just have to laugh at some of the things I see. Guess this falls under the category of "Not My Job"
I just received an email back authorizing the repair under warranty (mine has run out) so there's that. Try emailing Stephanie at stephanie_butler@jayco.com as she handled my issue, be sure to include photo's of the end of the gutter one each top and bottom view.
I think Jayco needs to have a talk with the guy on the production line who is attaching these gutters, maybe he is dyslexic.
Old 02-27-2018, 01:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseS View Post
I think Jayco needs to have a talk with the guy on the production line who is attaching these gutters, maybe he is dyslexic.

Glad they are willing to fix it

Maybe the guy was up on the roof, looking down when installing them and from his perspective they were upside right?

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 07:18 AM   #10

I have one up and one down on my Seneca on the same side of the unit. I thought it was odd and that this was related to the slide toppers but now am curious. Will have to some digging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 05:12 PM   #11

I was wondering why the AC condensation was running down over my dinette slide...

The driver’s side gutter is upside down on mine!

I didn’t climb up to look at it closer but I was wondering: do you trust a dealer to fix this or is it a factory repair?
klspahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 07:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by klspahr View Post
I was wondering why the AC condensation was running down over my dinette slide...

The driver’s side gutter is upside down on mine!

I didn’t climb up to look at it closer but I was wondering: do you trust a dealer to fix this or is it a factory repair?
It's an easy fix except for the two slide toppers. They will have to remove the caulking and screws and slide the topper bead out of the track as they remove it, then do the reverse putting it back on. The dealer or any decent RV shop can do it, no need to go back to the factory. Mine goes in for the repair on the 12th.
Old 03-03-2018, 04:40 PM   #13

You guys got me wondering as I have a/c condensation dripping down the sides of my 2017 Jayco Precept 31UL. Just brought the coach home from having some warranty work done so I thought I'd check out the gutters. It looks to me like the gutters on both sides may be upside down. There is no channel on the top but there is on the down side. I too could not get gutter extensions to fit but didn't think much of it. I guess it's back to the dealer!
Toad - 2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport
charlie1047 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 05:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie1047 View Post
You guys got me wondering as I have a/c condensation dripping down the sides of my 2017 Jayco Precept 31UL. Just brought the coach home from having some warranty work done so I thought I'd check out the gutters. It looks to me like the gutters on both sides may be upside down. There is no channel on the top but there is on the down side. I too could not get gutter extensions to fit but didn't think much of it. I guess it's back to the dealer!
Seems to be an epidemic of upside down gutters, wonder if it is the same guy on the production line?
Old 03-03-2018, 05:09 PM   #15

On the inspection question, if it starts when they turn the key that may be it!We are now 29 months in ownership of our 16 Eagle.Still have laundry list of unfinished repairs.Sent Trailer Life Resolutions about 20 pages of documentation see what happens! Thanks & Good Luck
Attached Thumbnails
Mtns XXX.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 04:11 PM   #16

Bummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseS View Post
It's an easy fix except for the two slide toppers. They will have to remove the caulking and screws and slide the topper bead out of the track as they remove it, then do the reverse putting it back on. The dealer or any decent RV shop can do it, no need to go back to the factory. Mine goes in for the repair on the 12th.
Only problem I see is complete new set of screw holes. When they flip it the screw will now be on top of gutter! I hate extra holes. CW fix for mounting my ladder on wrong side was to remove interior panel and install backing plates (including photos). I didn't want 32 new holes on a two month old rig. Now I got to talk myself into letting them add more holes.
One more question? If we lower the topper track to the bottom will they still slope away from RV, or will water want to puddle at track? Sure looks like they will be lower than slide on mine!
Old 03-05-2018, 04:37 PM   #17

Good point!

I climbed up and looked at mine. Right now the awning has 2.25” inches of drop on the bedroom slide. It looks like there would be 1” of drop if you flipped the gutter. If you tried to reuse the existing holes in the motorhome body there would be even less drop!

I’m not liking this...
klspahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 04:46 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by klspahr View Post
Good point!

I climbed up and looked at mine. Right now the awning has 2.25” inches of drop on the bedroom slide. It looks like there would be 1” of drop if you flipped the gutter. If you tried to reuse the existing holes in the motorhome body there would be even less drop!

I’m not liking this...
I don't think you could use the existing holes as they wouldn't line up. Just raise the gutter as far as possible without exposing the holes then the caulking would fill them in. I am not a fan of holes either that's why I mounted my solar panels without them. I wouldn't let CW open my rear wall to put blocks behind the wrong side ladder because they can't do anything right, and I don't need my warranty voided on the 10 year roof because they broke the seal and opened up the back wall, not to mention the very real possibility of water intrusion due to sloppy work.
Old 03-05-2018, 04:47 PM   #19

I haven't run my slide out to measure but that ain't much. Do you have Alante or Precept? Really doesn't matter looks like we all get new holes whatever we do, even lowering to match old holes what are the odds of the screw holes lining up.
Old 03-05-2018, 05:05 PM   #20

JesseS shouldn't effect warranty because all they did was pull back interior paneling and install two stiffeners at point where ladder attached to back wall. Roof already had factory backing so nothing done there. I had to have pictures of process to make me happy. Or at least as happy as you can be when dealing with stupid. Now what to do with gutter? Maybe install fiberglass plugs in old holes as the will be covered? How do you repair calk under gutter in two or three years? No good answer to (how do you fix stupid).