Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-19-2017, 09:24 PM   #1

Thinking about the 5 star tuner

Have a 2015 precept 35un ford v10 would enjoy hearing pro and con on the 5 star tuner plus any mpg estimates looking at return on a 500.00 investment thanks Don
stimpey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 06:49 AM   #2

Read the thread below this one "Five Star Lives up to It's hype" for typical comments. Your gas mileage likely will not improve.

In my situation I'm not convinced it improves anything for me because the original 87 octane tune failed to load in the ECM but my experience has been different from many others. I can't tell there was any horsepower or torque improvement but when you are moving 20,000+ pounds down the road how much improvement would be noticeable?
Old 04-20-2017, 07:41 AM   #3

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...ype-45123.html

Here's a link to the thread that NickM mentioned.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:23 AM   #4

After driving over 1300 miles with the 5 star tuning, I have no regrets, Like I said in the other thread, You have to learn how to drive with it, with cruise on and in Tow/Haul, as soon as you see or feel a loss of speed you have to give it some peddle, it hangs on in 5th or sometime drops to 4th, at that point make sure you still apply peddle to keep the speed up, if you apply enough peddle it won't drop to 3rd. I missed it a couple of times and had it drop to 3rd, but once I got the hang of how to drive with it it made the drive so much better, And you can definitely feel the power difference, much faster to pass and to merge onto highway. I am looking forward to our 5,000 mile round trip from NJ to Yellowstone and back! BY the way, I have 2015 35UN.
Attached Thumbnails
36UN at CS.jpg  
nma33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 08:13 AM   #5

Like the 5 Star on our 35un. Big test coming in two weeks with a 1300 mile trip. On short trips it's been great.
Jacobsnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 09:40 AM   #6

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by nma33 View Post
After driving over 1300 miles with the 5 star tuning, I have no regrets, Like I said in the other thread, You have to learn how to drive with it, with cruise on and in Tow/Haul, as soon as you see or feel a loss of speed you have to give it some peddle, it hangs on in 5th or sometime drops to 4th, at that point make sure you still apply peddle to keep the speed up, if you apply enough peddle it won't drop to 3rd. I missed it a couple of times and had it drop to 3rd, but once I got the hang of how to drive with it it made the drive so much better, And you can definitely feel the power difference, much faster to pass and to merge onto highway. I am looking forward to our 5,000 mile round trip from NJ to Yellowstone and back! BY the way, I have 2015 35UN.

I just purchased one. question I have do you leave it in tow haul and on cruise even when not towing a vehicle
Old 04-27-2017, 09:44 AM   #7

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by nma33 View Post

I just purchased one. question I have do you leave it in tow haul and on cruise even when not towing a vehicle thanks for your input
Old 04-27-2017, 10:05 AM   #8

I only use Tow/Haul when I'm in traffic or very hilly terrain.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 12:25 PM   #9

If towing I use it, and in traffic, hilly roads.
Jacobsnc is offline   Reply With Quote