Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-13-2020, 07:30 AM   #1

Tire Monitor

I am in the market for a tire monitor for my 2018 Precept. There are so many for sale, not sure what the best one would be for my rig. Any advice would be great. Thanks!
lov4labs8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 09:02 AM   #2

I use and am satisfied with the Tire Minder Smart TPMS...... there are review videos online.
Old 10-16-2020, 06:50 AM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to Foretm
I personally use the TST TPMS system and absolutely love it. I have the flow through sensors and so when I need to adjust the air I do not have to remove them. Trust me doing so can be a pain in some cases.

https://tsttruck.com/
Foretm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 08:27 AM   #4

I have a TireMinder and it works great. The TST also gets great reviews. There’s many others that may work well too (at a lower $). IMHO the TPMS is not there to tell me I need to add air to a tire, it’s job is to alert me that I’m loosing air due to a puncture or a tire just lost all its air (blow-out). I’ve had 2 dramatic tire failures (TowMax/China) and both times my TPMS alerted me before any collateral damage occurred. The TowMax’s are long gone and G’year G614’s have taken their place.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 04:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foretm View Post
I personally use the TST TPMS system and absolutely love it. I have the flow through sensors and so when I need to adjust the air I do not have to remove them. Trust me doing so can be a pain in some cases.

https://tsttruck.com/
like you, we have a 2019 Entegra 31V - RVI TPMS we do not have your 'flow thru' monitoring sensor - please share any/all info you can on the use of flow thru sensors - I agree, removing then repairing them can be a big pain. Thanks for any info!
JAHIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 04:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAHIV View Post
like you, we have a 2019 Entegra 31V - RVI TPMS we do not have your 'flow thru' monitoring sensor - please share any/all info you can on the use of flow thru sensors - I agree, removing then repairing them can be a big pain. Thanks for any info!

We have TST, and as I recall with the flow throughs, they are a bit heavier and they want you to have all metal valve stems. Mine are half rubber half metal so I went with the caps. It's a bit of a pain but not the end of the world. I'm retired so I have the extra 15 seconds per wheel to check the air as I unscrew them. I like the system and their tech support is easy to get ahold of and they are very nice.
Angus
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 05:03 PM   #7

I have the TST non flow-through valve stem system: very pleased. When tire replacement time comes I may put in the internal sensors. I say "may" because I have no complaints about the valve cap sensors. My original sensor batteries are now 18 months old and they are strong enough for the signal to reach my dashboard without turning on the signal booster. I have a 34' fifth wheel and F-250 SuperCab, so it's a bit of a reach, and it has no signal problem.
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS Modern Farmhouse (16" wheels, spring shackles set on lower hole of frame, SumoSprings TSS-107-40, standard kingpin, B&W Companion slider, TST-507 TPMS, Progressive Industries hardwired 50A EMS HW-50C)
2019 F250 SRW SuperCab 4X4 SB 6.2 (10,000# GVW) 3.73 Axle 18" wheels
Nature Ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 06:52 PM   #8

We like the old style Tire Minder. It gives pressure and temp of up to 22 tires, Don't do the phone interface. You want somrthing yeu can push a button and have it clock around all of the tires. It helps with peace of mind. BTW since using the valve stem sensors, our tires don't have the stem leaks, and you can change the batteries without demounting the tires,
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 04:03 AM   #9

Have the TST, not the flow through version. Very reliable and customer support is solid.
Old 10-17-2020, 06:34 AM   #10

Does the added weight to the valve stems require you to re-balance the tires?
ekonkjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 07:41 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAHIV View Post

I bought metal valve stem extenders, and of course the existing valve stems are metal to start with on the Entegra Vision 31V. I bought the 135 degree ones for the front, and for the rear I can't recall off hand, but I also bought braided extender for the inner dual tire. I'm not near the RV right now, but if needed PM me we can get you fixed up. I like the flow through, since I can simply air the tires up or down through the sensor and do not need to remove it.

https://www.amazon.com/CK-Auto-Exten...tag=mozilla-20

https://www.amazon.com/YEHAM-Stainle...22Y0JGZ47QJE3X
Old 10-17-2020, 07:44 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan617 View Post
We have TST, and as I recall with the flow throughs, they are a bit heavier and they want you to have all metal valve stems. Mine are half rubber half metal so I went with the caps. It's a bit of a pain but not the end of the world. I'm retired so I have the extra 15 seconds per wheel to check the air as I unscrew them. I like the system and their tech support is easy to get ahold of and they are very nice.
Angus

On the class A RVs, the stems are metal to start with, so no issue and trust me its not 15 seconds to get them off the F53 chassis. The orientation the stem and the wheel covers, getting them on and off is a royal pain. With no difference in price and already having metal stems, why go with the caps I have to remove?
Old 10-17-2020, 07:45 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekonkjack View Post
Does the added weight to the valve stems require you to re-balance the tires?

Not on the F53 chassis... that weight is negligible compared to the tire and rim combo.
Old 10-17-2020, 07:49 AM   #14
Site Team

I am on my 2nd set of TST monitors. No complaints with the equipment or service. My newer truck already had a built in system, so now I have 4 spare sensors.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 04:20 PM   #15

Another TST owner for a few years here. I have flow-through on my trailer w/ metal stems and non with rubber stems on my truck. Both work great. It is not a big deal to remove the truck sensors to adjust tire pressure. I had a TT flat on my last trip due to a puncture. The TST gave me plenty of warning so I could find a safe place to get to the side of the road before a catastrophic failure.

Last year I was pushed out of the right lane on a bridge by an 18-wheeler. I grazed some metal decking on bridge that tore the stem right off the TST monitor on one of the trailer tires. It still held air!

I’m a TST fan.
hbravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 12:22 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by lov4labs8 View Post
I am in the market for a tire monitor for my 2018 Precept. There are so many for sale, not sure what the best one would be for my rig. Any advice would be great. Thanks!

I bought and have used TireTraker for 11 years. I like their Lifetime Warranty. I also have tested TST internal system and published on my RV Tire Safety blog the only direct comparison of two different TPMS I am aware of. They both work as advertised (Temperature and Pressure).

I would recommend against buying on price as there are some low cost systems on ebay etc but you will be unlikely to get any support or an email or phone number to call.

With any external TPM you should run bolt in metal valve stems as even the "High pressure" valves can bend and fail.
Old 10-28-2020, 12:23 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I am on my 2nd set of TST monitors. No complaints with the equipment or service. My newer truck already had a built in system, so now I have 4 spare sensors.
Don't get rid of the spares, unless you plan to get rid of the truck in 7 years. All of our built-in sensors on our truck have died. So we used our Tire Minder for all tires including spares. The batteries in the built-ins are good for 7 to 8 years and are not replaceable. You have to replace the entire sensor. The new built-in sensor costs around $270.
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 12:38 PM   #18

We use the EEZTire TPMS system, $280 on Amazon with 4 sensors and can support up to 18 sensors I believe. Has been great and their customer services was amazing when I was struggling getting them setup. User error. Sensors are easy off/on when needed to change batteries or fill the tire.
Mr&MrsSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 01:30 PM   #19

If cost is an issue look on ebay. I use the six tire monitor with the solar panel on the top of the monitor but the unit is small. If you think you might tow a car in the future you might add a few tires to monitor. It's a great investment.
Joey55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 01:39 PM   #20

After my TOAD got a flat and provided me with about 1k in damage I got a TPMS. Mine is the TireMinder and it works great. New ones have more bells and whistles than my 6 year KD model. Best part is the outstanding customer service. Helpful, responsive, honest , caring and provided by folks in Florida not BangO Bango.