Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-20-2018, 06:39 AM   #1

Tire pressure 2018 Alante 26x

What is the best tire pressure for this RV? The book says 82 psi cold front and rear. When I checked them the front was 85 and the rear 70. Also when you check the rear tires I'm assuming the gauge is showing both tires at the same time. Sorry I'm new to this game.
Rico 1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 06:57 AM   #2

The usual recommendation is to set the pressures per the book or what also might be on the label behind the driver's seat.
Each of the four rear tires must be checked so finding the other valve stems is important.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 04:22 PM   #3

I have found on my 31V, 2017, that the recommended settings are squishy, and loose handling. I run mine at 95 front, and 100 rear, all 4. I also added a Safe T Steer.

Next step for me is CHF.
Graunke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 07:40 AM   #4

I'm running 88-90 on mine. Higher and it rides rough. 31 ul 2016 with 19.5 tires.

hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:39 AM   #5

I have a 26AY, and have tried several pressure settings, the recommended 82psi is a bit 'squishy' for the way I load, have tried 90,95 & 100. So for me, over 15K miles of testing I found 85 front and 95 rear seems to work best. But I have air suspension in the front so your results may vary The Goodyear tires seem to be very 'Hard' riding.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 01:30 PM   #6

OK, now I'm even more confused than when I came here to ask the question. I down sized from DP to Alante 31V. I have steering stabilizer and CHF to front and rear. I am happy with the results. But here is where I'm lost "Tire pressures'. I have tried to find a scale locally that could weigh each tire or even each axle to calculate load on tires or axle but no luck. Why the higher pressure on the rear axle that runs four tires? Based on weight published I should be running 90 PSI all the way around. I kept the tire pressure monitor from my DP and would like to set it to monitor this new motorhome along with toad. But there are a lot of ideas as to correct pressure for this 19.5 tire and rig. Anyone ever get their RV weighed to go buy tire manufacture recommendations?
KenAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 01:40 PM   #7

Find a scale that has duel weight platforms, for say a tractor trailer setup, straddle the platforms and you can get front/rear axle weights, barring that just drive the front axle onto the scale, get the weight, then pull through until just the rear axle is on and get that weight. You will have to split the weights to get left/right but it will be close. I am lucky as my local truck scale is a four platform scale and will weigh front/rear, left right, and each wheel for $20, all at once. Most of my loaded weight is in the rear, so I run then higher. Every coach and situation will differ so you start with a 'general' seting and then adjust until you find the sweet spot.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 01:46 PM   #8

Thanks, I know where I can do that locally! Happy trails and see you on the road
Old 08-12-2018, 02:41 PM   #9

A CAT scale can get your axle weights.
GrumpyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 02:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyDad View Post
A CAT scale can get your axle weights.
Small town and none available. Thought about asking TEX DOT if they could weigh me with their independent wheel scale they use on trucks they spot check. But maybe not wanting to start a new friendship, LOL
Old 08-12-2018, 04:14 PM   #11

Maybe find one on yiur next camping trip. Always best to visit them fully loaded anyway. Not sure where the closest one to you is, but it can't be that far.

I'm luck though, I have one ten minutes away from my house. It's closer than the storage yard.
GrumpyDad is offline   Reply With Quote