Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-18-2018, 07:53 PM   #1

To Buy or not to buy new 2017 Precept 31 UL

We are 5 days away from signing the purchase documents on a New 2017 Jayco Precept 31 UL. My wife loves the inside and i like the full paint job .
However after reading all the posts about the handling , steering, wandering , trucks and wind issues , I am about ready to forget about the whole thing and not buy anything at all. Sounds pretty scary and I am thinking about pulling the plug
Extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 08:30 PM   #2

ask for an extensive road test ... if they say no then ... you walk away ... its a lot of money to risk

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 08:33 PM   #3

Welcome to the forum.
So, would this be your first motorhome? Your first class A? Your first RV?

Have you driven the Precept? If so, what did you think. If not, why don't you drive it before deciding.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 08:43 PM   #4

Don't be too discourage. This forum probably represents a small slice of Jayco owners and many find there way here looking for solutions to problems. I doubt there would be an RV industry if the issues on this forum represented a significant percentage of the RV's Jayco built.

I ditto homer1959, take the rig out for an extensive road test. During a portion of the road test have someone else drive and you follow behind to get a idea of how true the rig rides down the road. Run (not just be told how it works) EVERY system, flip every switch, open and close every door, etc. At least have an assures they are working when you leave the lot. Of course there is no guarantee you won't miss some little things but the little things usually aren't the things that cause heartache.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 09:07 PM   #5

Thank you all for your reply. I should specify that this would be our 3 rd class A which would include a 2001 Fleetwood Bounder which had a wandering issue that never got fixed but it was work to drive. A 28’ Winnie did not have any issues .
I was more terrified of our 38’ Cyclone behind anF 350super duty going downhill, But never steering problems.
I did test drive the Precept about 20 miles but no interstate driving within 100 miles of the dealership. There was about 3” of play in the steering wheel but did not feel any wandering, just the back and forth to keep it straight .
This 2017 Precept has the J ride Plus which apparently does not mean much to some . I will do another test drive before signing though. It is such a beautiful coach that it is hard to pass up.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:00 PM   #6

This one will handle better than others...the wheelbase on the 31UL is 228". The overall length is 32'9" so your over the 55% rule.

Most of the bad handling motorhomes have under 200" wheelbases...I have seen some 30' with 190" wheelbases. The Alante 29S is a good example. Overall length is 31'4" and wheelbase is 190" which is below the safe margin and handling will be compromised.

I owned a Tiffin motorhome that had marginal wheelbase to length and I will never do that again.

Like others I say take it for a long test drive and see what you think. Make sure the dealer has the tire pressures set correctly. The F53 chassis will ride like a buckboard but all gas motorhomes have this feature. Unless you go up to diesel and airbag suspension it really doesn't matter which brand motohome because they all are on the Ford F53 in a class A now that GM bailed out of the RV world.

I actually owned a Georgieboy motorhome on a GM chassis with the 8.1 and allison 1000 transmission. That motohome handled well and ran great. Used oil but had plenty of power.

Good luck...it;s never easy writing that check. Just remember it's only money!
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 10:09 PM   #7

As with any new class A motor home, once you get it fully loaded, weight it and then have 4 wheel alignment at a good truck/rv shop. Call Jayco motorized customer service and they authorized the service to be done and then reimbruse you. This will improve you handling. Add a super steer or other steering stabilizer not only for safety reasons but also to help tighten up the steering. Good luck and BTW I have a 2016 31ul on 19.5" tires. We really like our unit and can one hand drive when needed[emoji16]
Dave55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 12:56 AM   #8

We have a 2018 31UL which has the 228" wheelbase and 22.5 inch tires. After test driving numerous brands of Class A's gassers this by far was the best driving and handling unit. The thing that helped it the most after getting it was a front wheel alignment which Jayco payed for after authorization. (Alignments are not done after the build on most all new units)

My concern would be the price you are paying for a 2 year old unit. Unless you are getting more than 35% off you aren't getting a deal. A few changes have been made for the 2019s with the biggest ones in my book being a residential fridge and tank hot water heater instead of tankless. Good luck with your journey!
1955farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 06:44 AM   #9

I'm with taking the extensive testing drive and checking everything out. Drive interstate at your normal speeds and rough two lanes. You have mh experience so that is good. If you normally don't drive over 60 you won't have a problem. Higher speeds with ill handling units is a chore. My 31ul is 190 wheelbase with 19.5 tires. It took $1000 of shocks, chfs, and alignment to get to ok driving now at 65ish.

hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:12 AM   #10

I did test drive the Precept about 20 miles but no interstate driving within 100 miles of the dealership. There was about 3” of play in the steering wheel but did not feel any wandering, just the back and forth to keep it straight .
This 2017 Precept has the J ride Plus .......[/QUOTE]

hawkster, we got a brand new 35S that had the same problem last year. I thought.
After installed a steering stabiliser the the back and forth to keep it straight went away. Sometimes with lots of cross wind i feel that there is still a little play in the steering wheel. But it is not a play it is the cross wind. The steering stabiliser helps to keep the steering wheel straight. So before you take it out for a test drive check the wind direction.
Otherwise we are very happy with our Jayco. Yes, there are issues (as every other brand has) but that's why there is a 2 year warranty.
Sadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 11:45 AM   #11

Like others have said, don't be too discouraged by some of the posts here or on other online forums. People tend to write about issues they have to vent or for feedback on resolutions. Rarely do people post that everything works great and they have no problems, just hearing the squeaky wheels of issues. I'm an avid BMW motorcyclist also and after reading some of the forums you would think every bike on the road is going to suffer a catastrophic failure. 100k miles later on mine and haven't had any major unexpected issue. Go for what makes you all excited to get out on the road with and all will work itself out.
GollyGwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 01:13 PM   #12

Wow, ok. Now we are excited. I had the service manager drive it and he was very happy about the handling. I will definitely keep in mind the upgrades just in case.
It is reassuring indeed to hear from folks who are actually on the road. We are soon to be retired and plan on taking it easy driving and cruise the USA for a year.
As far as price, they gave us max blue book on our 2013 f350 and Cougar trailer, so we are very happy with the upgrade. Can’t wait to get going and will definitely stay in touch on this forum. Thanks again for the wise inputs
Old 07-24-2018, 03:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave55 View Post
As with any new class A motor home, once you get it fully loaded, weight it and then have 4 wheel alignment at a good truck/rv shop. Call Jayco motorized customer service and they authorized the service to be done and then reimbruse you. This will improve you handling. Add a super steer or other steering stabilizer not only for safety reasons but also to help tighten up the steering. Good luck and BTW I have a 2016 31ul on 19.5" tires. We really like our unit and can one hand drive when needed[emoji16]
DITTO: We have a 2017 Alante 31 V, we did the CHF front and rear installed steering stabilizer, and are very happy with handling. Bought new Jan 2018, now have 5000 miles and ready to start another trip Texas to Oregon and back (4800) more miles.
KenAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 05:16 AM   #14

I own a 2016, UL31 which I purchased less than one year after purchasing a 2016 ACE!
The ace is a piece of crap!
This Jayco handles like a Corvett compared to that Ace.
I haven't had any issues with driving or handling this coach, it's easy and a pleasure to drive!
Just my own opinion.
Bracco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 09:59 AM   #15

Thanks for your opinion, funny because I was looking at an Ace before considering this 2017 precept UL 31 and decided to go with the Precept 31UL.
We took another test drive and it was extensive, small roads, neighborhood roads, highway and freeway. And as you mentioned it drives : Great ! I was driving with one hand on rutted road and there was no drifting. It is everything they claim it to be . It has the JRide plus and Michelin’s Xrv 22.5 and we love it enough to Sign the papers.
I am glad we did the second test drive, thanks to all the other suggestions, they helped us make a sound decision based on facts.
We will be heading on a year road trip this November and will be posting reviews on this forum.
Thank you all again!
Old 07-28-2018, 12:29 PM   #16

Are you sure it's a 228 wheelbase? I know the Jayco site states that, but when they went to the 22.5" tire in 2017 which also raised the GVW to 22k the wheelbase remained the same.... we actually measure one.

On many web sites (except Jayco's) the 2018 wheelbase is still stated at 190"
Here is one quick one I searched.

It may have changed for 2018, just make sure. Our 16 was a handful to drive. I became used to driving it and didn't know the difference until I drove another brand on a 26k chassis with much better length to wheelbase ratio than out 31ul.

After looking at more 2018 photos the basement storage doors changed, it appears they changed the wheelbase....Thank Goodness.

Just saying
Steve
Old 07-28-2018, 06:56 PM   #17

Our 2018 31UL is 228" wheelbase for sure on the 22K chassis
1955farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 12:22 PM   #18

Anything Ford has what I call squishy steering. The more adverse the conditions, the greater the level of difficulty to control. I just slow down and take 'er easy. Like stated, since GM bailed, we are stuck with Ford as the dominant manufacturer in the standard class A and class C world.
RobShanVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 12:29 PM   #19

We have a 2018 31UL for our first rv. I noticed you are from Coos Bay and we just took a trip through there last month from California’s Central Valley. We drove north to Newport, Oregon, kept the speed under 63 on the entire trip. LOVED IT. I’m new to this rv world and have driven ours up to 75 mph. The roads in Arizona and Oregon were great, but California highway conditions will demand a slower pace and more attention. Arizona roads were so great I was shocked when I looked down and saw we were going 75. Good luck with your purchase.
cookmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 12:58 PM   #20

We have a 2015 31UL. My husband does most of the driving and really likes the way it handles. My only regret is no fireplace. Other than that, a wonderful rig.
SandiTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote