Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-27-2020, 08:20 AM   #1

TOAD tolls?

Folks, do both the RV and the TOAD need an EZPass for toll roads or just the RV since they are connected?
Brians first rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 08:25 AM   #2

Just the RV. The toll system is set to 2 axles on the RV, then additional per axle.
khahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 08:26 AM   #3

Typically the toll is based on number of axles. If I’m towing my trailer or camper I pay additional for the additional axles. So the TV carries the pass and pays for the additional axles behind it.
Old 07-27-2020, 08:27 AM   #4

If I'm not mistaken you only need one, but you have to account for the total number of axles. You can change it online if you use the pass for just the toad so you aren't overpaying during those times.

Andy, Sherrie, Dixie, and Daisy
2020 Jayco 336FBOK Modern Farmhouse
2020 Chevy Silverado 2500 SRW Duramax 10 speed GM/ Allison
CURT Q20 on R20 Slider
AndyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 09:21 AM   #5
Lost in the Woods

What if you have a EzPass in the rig, and another one in the toad. Do they BOTH get charged?
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 09:31 AM   #6

you need to deactivate the toad transponder online. That way, only the RV registers and counts axles.
khahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 09:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
What if you have a EzPass in the rig, and another one in the toad. Do they BOTH get charged?
Quote:
Originally Posted by khahuna View Post
you need to deactivate the toad transponder online. That way, only the RV registers and counts axles.
Yes, from experience on TX tollways, both transponders will read and be charged. First the RV transponder will read 4 axles (the RV plus the Toad), then the toad transponder will read and you'll get charged an additional 2 axles (for a total of 6).

If you disable the transponder in the toad (I wrap mine in foil and put it in the glove box), you can MOST TIMES get through with only paying for the 4 axles you've got. Sometimes the "booth" doesn't pick up the motorhome transponder and will use pics of your plates to charge the toll. In that case, it will snap the front plate on the MH, charge it (for 4 axles), and the rear plate on the toad, and charge it for another 2.

I called the toll service to argue my point that I was overcharged. The first person I spoke to acted like this is the first she's ever heard of this, so asked her "supervisor" who said "too bad, that's the way it is". So I went through the official protest process and was denied my first go-round. So I took photos and did all of the math for them with arrows and highlights to explain what's happening and finally won my case.

All of that was BEFORE I started disabling the transponder in the toad.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 12:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
Request a -"No Read Bag" from EZPass. Then bury the car tag as deep as you can in a console or glove box...
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote