Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-13-2021, 04:47 PM   #1

Toilet plumbing

I hate to go here, but here I go anyway. I have a 2020 Precept 29V. After using the toilet, the toilet paper stays on the shelf in the tank right where it drops from toilet. This causes a build up and finally a blockage where nothing will fall into the tank. I have to tilt the rig and hook up the flush out line to remove blockage. It seams to me that this shelf should be at an angle as to not trap things. Does anyone else have this problem? Thank you and sorry, but I just gotta know.
m16303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 04:52 PM   #2
CAG

Is your dump valve for the black tank closed? It needs to be. If your valve is open, the water is running out leaving paper and solids where they fall. You also need to be using something along the line of Happy Camper to help dissolve what it going into the tank and only dumping the tank when it "calls" for it. You will know that as the toilet will "burp" when you flush.

I would also recommend that about 10 or so gallons of water be added to the tank right after a tank dump.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 05:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Is your dump valve for the black tank closed? It needs to be. If your valve is open, the water is running out leaving paper and solids where they fall. You also need to be using something along the line of Happy Camper to help dissolve what it going into the tank and only dumping the tank when it "calls" for it. You will know that as the toilet will "burp" when you flush.

I would also recommend that about 10 or so gallons of water be added to the tank right after a tank dump.
Yes the black valve is closed and I only dump when needed or the paper causes a back up. This area sits higher than the water level. I would have to keep 40 to 50 gallons in the to be level with this shelf. I don’t know if there is a problem or if it’s the design from Jayco.
Old 03-13-2021, 05:46 PM   #4
CAG

I guess I am not following the water level thing.

Old 03-14-2021, 06:30 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by m16303 View Post
Yes the black valve is closed and I only dump when needed or the paper causes a back up. This area sits higher than the water level. I would have to keep 40 to 50 gallons in the to be level with this shelf. I don’t know if there is a problem or if it’s the design from Jayco.
Yes it is a design flaw.... you just have to make sure that when you flush you let the water run on the flush a little longer than normal to flush it off the top. I keep a wooden pole in the compartment where I keep my sewer hoses and use it clear the ledge while flushing at the same time. Nasty business but with water and Clorox to clean the pole does the trick.
Old 03-14-2021, 09:10 AM   #6

Even in a travel trailer with a straight drop from the toilet into the black tank, toilet paper will occasionally get caught up in the toilet. Through trial and error, I've learned a trick that may help with your situation. Before you sit down, depress the flush lever slightly to fill the toilet about 1/3 full of water - similar to what your S&B toilet has in it all the time. As you fill the bowl with paper, it will absorb the water and compact a little - giving you more room for more paper (without it contacting you bottom). When you're ready to flush, add a little more water, until it covers (or nearly covers) the paper. Then flush. The additional water will help flush the paper out of the toilet without it sticking to the sides of the bowl. If you need to add more paper after your initial flush, add more water first (again, to about 1/3 full) before adding more paper, and again before you flush again.

This procedure may help with your situation, too. Yes, it uses more water, but it sure beats the alternative of having paper clogs stuck on your ledge. In addition, I've found that it helps eliminate (or at least minimizes) "skid marks" in the bowl.
Old 03-14-2021, 09:39 AM   #7
CAG

Attached are photos of a tool that I made to flush the tank. It is pretty cheap to make and since it flexes does a nice job when you want to do a thorough cleaning.
Attached Thumbnails
64AE5299-47D0-48E7-A7CD-36EEA35A1803.jpg   C97742A8-F030-42D0-8724-DFF50A70EAC1.jpg   D67EED5A-C594-4F85-B206-4EC49EDEA545.jpg  

Old 03-14-2021, 09:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-NM View Post
Yes it is a design flaw.... you just have to make sure that when you flush you let the water run on the flush a little longer than normal to flush it off the top. I keep a wooden pole in the compartment where I keep my sewer hoses and use it clear the ledge while flushing at the same time. Nasty business but with water and Clorox to clean the pole does the trick.
Thank you! I’m not crazy (ok, maybe a little). This was driving e crazy thinking I was doing something wrong. That’s a great idea. Thanks.
Old 03-14-2021, 11:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
Before you sit down, depress the flush lever slightly to fill the toilet about 1/3 full of water - similar to what your S&B toilet has in it all the time. As you fill the bowl with paper, it will absorb the water and compact a little - giving you more room for more paper (without it contacting you bottom). When you're ready to flush, add a little more water, until it covers (or nearly covers) the paper. Then flush. The additional water will help flush the paper out of the toilet without it sticking to the sides of the bowl. If you need to add more paper after your initial flush, add more water first (again, to about 1/3 full) before adding more paper, and again before you flush again.

This procedure may help with your situation, too.
Yes... it does but try explaining that process to the entire family or guests and enforcing it. You might as well be talking to a lamppost. Hence, my wooden pole in the previous response. Save the frustration and headache, just get a pole and use it when needed.