Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-19-2020, 08:26 AM   #1

Towing a toad

Im considering towing a jeep wrangler with my 2019 alante 31v. My concern is that considering you get pushed all 9ver the road with tractor trailers and wind will the toad help or make it worse? I have had the front end alignment done the wheel straighten out a roadmaster front and rear sway bar installed plus a steering stabilizer. But it still gets pushed all over the road by tractor trailers. Im getting a rear track bar to try and make this beast stay on the road. I want to tow but i dont think i can stomach it if its going to handle worse.. thanks
Nychoppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 09:48 AM   #2
CAG

As of right now I am working on getting the towing set up to flat tow the Wrangler. I have done a few of the mods to the suspension to cut down on the movement but too be quite honest, I would get some of the same pull/push from semis when towing the 5th wheel. You cannot stop all of it and you learn to anticipate and correct when necessary. If you are asleep at the wheel (Oh wait, that is a musical group) you can have some issues but if it were a big thing I think we would see Class C's piled up everywhere along the highway.

This is a "don't over think" the issue. If it causes that much concern, and I understand some things can, then considering renting a car at your destination or some other option that would cause less stress. Life is too short.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 12:29 PM   #3

Am doing the same, have a 2019 Alante 29F, towing a 16' Wrangler Unlimited. Recently added a Safe-T-Plus stabilizer. Have not towed with it installed yet, but definitely helped normal operations
fmoser2235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 07:23 PM   #4

Have a 2016 31ul. It will be worse with a toad. I have added a super steer Trac bar. Can drive now 62-67 with one hand on interstate.

hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 08:19 PM   #5

I tow a Wrangler with my 26x and believe that the handling is better. I did the CHF and used balancing beads in the rear tires. I am happy with the result.
Old 01-20-2020, 03:36 AM   #6

What really helped mine out was I installed hitch tighteners. I watched it from the rear view cam and it was swaying back and forth. I had installed a hitch extension to move it back some because it would hit the motorhome rear bumper in a tight turn. When I unhitched it at my destination, I noticed the slop in the extension as well as where the tow bar attached to the extension. I installed hitch tighteners at each junction and there was a tremendous improvement in stability. There are many of these on Amazon. Here is one example. Best thing I ever did.

https://smile.amazon.com/CZC-AUTO-Ti...dp/B0792RDPD6/
bfinigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 05:00 PM   #7

I had a 2018 31UL and now I have a 2019 36U which I have flat towed a Jeep Wrangler with no problems in fact I have to occasionally put the rear camera on to see if it's still there. I have a blue ox aluminum tow bar with a 9" drop at the receiver and the stay and play brake system.
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 12:13 PM   #8

I've driven my 2016 29MV with and without a toad. I cannot say there's any difference. The Big Box will be blown sideways by tractor-trailers no matter what is done.
Theoreticxally, dragging a "Tail" behind you may help to stabilize things, but it would be hard to prove.
2000 Jeep Sahara

"Any advice I give or facts I present are valid to the best of my knowledge,
but I am not responsible if you follow it and you **** your **** up."
Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 08:11 PM   #9

We towed a 2016 2dr wrangler behind our 2017 31ul. Added to safe-t-steer, and henderson track bar. Both of which made a big improvement.
Ended up trading the jeep in for a chevy equinox. Jeep was too uncomfortable and impractical for us. Equinox is much better for my ole back, and seems to tow better. Could be the square box-like jeep with the shorter wheelbase made it more noticable.
Roadmaster Falcon Tow bar
Henderson rear trac bar
Safe-T Plus
FlaBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 09:52 PM   #10

Im going to get the rear track bar installed hope it takes out some of the pushing around with the tractor trailers.
Choppered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 10:57 AM   #11

I tow a 2016 Chevy Traverse behind my 31R and I don't have any issues. The coach has sumos in the front, timbrens in the rear, and a steering stabilizer.

cfisher523 is offline   Reply With Quote