Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-16-2018, 12:14 PM   #1

Towing and Tire PSI

I am in the process of rigging my new 2018 Alante for extended road trips. Just installed a Roadmaster Sterling tow bar system, Brake Buddy Select II tow car brake and Tireminder TM66 pressure monitor with 10 sensors for the MH and Toad. I am seeing varied recommended tire pressures. In cab spec plate says 82 PSI, tires say 100 PSI. When installed the tech said my cold PSI was 116 PSI. Some posts are saying 100 PSI makes ride better. I am confused as what PSI I should start with and/or use. I have only driven 50 miles towing my older Toyota RAV4 but the Alante had no problem in heavy freeway traffic or going up and over an 8,000 foot pass. Brake Buddy did well braking the toad, I could see it responding on the monitor and feel it braking. Disconnecting everything after towing was a 5 minute breeze. Input on tire PSI will be helpful. Thanks.
HJ Rosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 04:24 PM   #2

Keep the tires inflated to the chassis manufacture's recommendations to avoid overheating and blowouts.

Park City, Utah? We were born there and have lots of family still in the area.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:19 PM   #3

Age old question...chicken or the egg..[emoji51]

The manufacture is quoting recommended pressure for a certain type / size / ply tire; if that is what’s on the vehicle - best to use that pressure.

If the tire is not the same type/size/ply, etc... go by the tire

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jamesmc321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 04:15 AM   #4

This is from Goodyear.

The 116 cold is way over the tire sidewall maximum. This can cause wear issues and is 16% over inflated. The cab sticker is based on your maximum load and is calculated for that load contact a tire distributor to get the best safe answer.

RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 05:23 AM   #5

It’s not rocket science, you always go by the tire, period because If it’s a new vehicle the tires will match the door sticker but if the tires have been changed the sticker could be moot.

2017 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS -- 2011 F350 CCSB 4x4 PSD
repacs0103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:07 AM   #6

Have lived in Park City for 31 years and owned two local retail businesses. Pretty good chance we know lots of the same people.
HJ Rosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 10:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ Rosch View Post
Have lived in Park City for 31 years and owned two local retail businesses. Pretty good chance we know lots of the same people.
Very likely.
Grandmother was the unofficial first town historian back in the 70's and 80's. She gave daily walking tours of Main Street and keep many vital records and pictures of the town. Grandfather worked in the silver mines for 40 years. They lived on Daly Avenue in Empire canyon.
Many family members moved to Heber last year but some still probably deliver your mail. Many other in the SLC area and beyond. Big family but not Mormon.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 01:01 PM   #8

psi is set when the motorhome is weighed. Goodyear has a chart for that. that cab sticker is a starting point. Call Jayco or do a search here.
edfgrf is offline   Reply With Quote