Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-21-2015, 05:16 PM   #11

All F53s with a 7 pin plug at hitch are wired for electric brakes and have been for a few years now. Finding the plug under dash will take longer than installing a controller will. On my 22k chassis the plug was under dash in front of right knee tied up with a bundle of wiring.

The plug has 4 wires, two larger than the other two and the plug is square shaped about an inch on a side although it is not perfectly square but slightly rectangle.

Camping world sells an adapter wire that is plug and play with the brake controllers they sell. This wire plugs into the controller and the other end plugs into the truck harness plug under dash. It takes all of 30 seconds to make the electrical connection. Mounting the controller and finding the truck plug is the toughest part of the job.

an Aluma low bed trailer with HD Road King and/or Polaris RZR onboard
mowdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 09:44 AM   #12

Thanks for the help with this subject and I'm certain you'll see me pop up on here again. Plan B is getting a lighter trailer. Lots of the trailer weight ends up being items we don't need due to the RV (A/C, cabinets, shelves, etc.). It won't be as pretty inside, but more functional.

Still working through the cost of the brake controller. We picked up the Precept last night and I'm going to see how they wired it up.

Again, thanks I look forward to learning more from this group.

Kenny Brown

Downtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 08:18 PM   #13

Kenny, CONGRATULATIONS ON THE PRECEPT. Now you have her home, you can get "acquainted".
I see you have joined us on the JPOG. We look forward to you sharing your experiences.
Welcome
Darrell
'13 Wrangler Sahara...AKAFUN
Roadmaster base plate
Ready Brute Elite towbar and brake combo
D&MAKAFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 09:13 PM   #14

I didn't search enough the first time, but have found a post that references a Tekonsha P2 90885 and harness 3035P to be a plug and play installation for around $200. I haven't looked at how mine is wired, but the box they left shows to be a Tekonsha 90160.

After looking at RV's for over 6 months, we decided you are buying a dealer as much as you are buying an RV and we might be off on the wrong foot. We go back Monday to get some little things fixed and hopefully get a clarification on what/why they installed what they did.
Old 10-24-2015, 07:41 AM   #15

The controller they gave you is this one Primus IQ Brake Control - Cequent 90160 - Brake Controls - Camping World which sells for about $95.

The plug and play wire they used is this one Ford Brake Control Harness - Cequent 3035-P - Brake Control Wiring Harness - Camping World another $19 bucks.

Both of these parts will do the job simply. I just hope they had a heart and did not charge you $800 for $114 in parts and less than 30 minutes work. On Monday you should confront them about the charges as $250 would be a high figure for what you got.
an Aluma low bed trailer with HD Road King and/or Polaris RZR onboard
mowdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 09:32 PM   #16

We have had a couple of trips with the new (lighter) trailer and going from pulling a trailer with a pickup to pulling with the RV is a big step. I did not scale it, but had the weight ticket on the trailer at 3650 lbs., 700 lb. car and a few tools and parts. I figure we were maybe 4500 lbs.

The trailer is 24' and the Precept is 31', so it was a handful to me. I don't have a reference point to know if it pulled good or bad, but would like to do whatever I can to stabilize the combination of RV and trailer as well as see if I could increase the towing capacity.

Anyone know if air bags would increase towing capacity or a suspension kit that would help with drivability?