Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-20-2015, 11:59 AM   #41

AugerN, this is unchartered territory for me as well. Thanks for the great question.
Norty1, thank you for the word of caution as well.
'13 Wrangler Sahara...AKAFUN
Roadmaster base plate
Ready Brute Elite towbar and brake combo
D&MAKAFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 07:41 PM   #42

Took my 35UN back to dealer this week for all electrical shutting off while on the road. I have told them 10 times to check the wires coming out of back of generator. They finally did and found some loose. Maybe it's fixed now. Then the generator shut off on the way home when I stopped fast and hit these washboard roads we have in Oklahoma
TheFireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 10:06 PM   #43

Keep the oil level right at full all the time. Seemed to solve our issue.
Jacobsnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 09:17 AM   #44

I've replaced my transfer switch and am still not sure it functions properly.
It works, but it struggles with switching over, and sometimes makes a pretty large bang when it does. Anyone else experience this?

JoeMazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 09:38 AM   #45

Mine is still working but takes its time switching and when it does its loud.
Jacobsnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 09:45 AM   #46

I've never had a generator or a transfer switch.
Is this normal?

Old 09-19-2015, 11:03 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMazz View Post
I've replaced my transfer switch and am still not sure it functions properly.
It works, but it struggles with switching over, and sometimes makes a pretty large bang when it does. Anyone else experience this?
Then you posted

"I've never had a generator or a transfer switch.
Is this normal?"

No - this is not normal, we all have both a genny and a transfer switch.
Remember, you just replaced yours.

A loud thump is a good thing when you connect to a source of power. That is the transfer switch closing the contacts to close the circuit.

The transfer switch senses line voltage either from the genny or the shore plug and mechanically connects contacts so the power source is available to the RV. The contacts slamming together is the sound you hear - perfectly normal.
an Aluma low bed trailer with HD Road King and/or Polaris RZR onboard
mowdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 06:23 PM   #48

never had one before this unit. I guess that wasn't obvious enough.
All this stuff is new to me is all...

Old 09-19-2015, 07:10 PM   #49

Ha Ha, Joe - gotcha!! Your comments make good sense now.

Everyone reading - - - if you are a first time owner and have no experience with RV electrical, ALWAYS shut off all 120V loads BEFORE you start or stop the genny OR connect or unplug your shore power plug from a pedestal.

Having heavy loads such as A/C turned on will cause the contacts in the transfer box to arc which shortens the life of them dramatically.

Normal performance is to hear the transfer switch make a thump noise when the shore power begins, normally when the plug blades enter the socket.

When starting the Onan genny, it will normally run a minute or two before the transfer switch connects. This gives the engine time to warm and find correct RPM before pulling a load.

In our Precept coaches the transfer switch is located under the master bed.

ALSO, very important, if you hear the transfer switch clicking over and over there is too much load turned on. It is trying to engage but senses the load and backs off. You will need to find the load and remove it to correct this condition. Usually this will be an A/c in the on position.
Old 09-20-2015, 04:23 PM   #50

Again mowdoc, great info. Thank you.
'13 Wrangler Sahara...AKAFUN
Roadmaster base plate
Ready Brute Elite towbar and brake combo
D&MAKAFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 07:33 AM   #51

Yes, Thank you...electric work scares the crap outta me...any advice is always welcome...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowdoc View Post
Ha Ha, Joe - gotcha!! Your comments make good sense now.

Everyone reading - - - if you are a first time owner and have no experience with RV electrical, ALWAYS shut off all 120V loads BEFORE you start or stop the genny OR connect or unplug your shore power plug from a pedestal.

Having heavy loads such as A/C turned on will cause the contacts in the transfer box to arc which shortens the life of them dramatically.

Normal performance is to hear the transfer switch make a thump noise when the shore power begins, normally when the plug blades enter the socket.

When starting the Onan genny, it will normally run a minute or two before the transfer switch connects. This gives the engine time to warm and find correct RPM before pulling a load.

In our Precept coaches the transfer switch is located under the master bed.

ALSO, very important, if you hear the transfer switch clicking over and over there is too much load turned on. It is trying to engage but senses the load and backs off. You will need to find the load and remove it to correct this condition. Usually this will be an A/c in the on position.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:43 PM   #52

I noticed the post about transfer switch. I am reading this in a campground in Colorado. Apparently my transfer switch is out. I have power on the generator but nothing on shore power. Is this a common problem? I have a Jayco Seneca with a cummins generator. Everything I read states that the transfer switch defaults to shore power. Where is the transfer switch normally located?
seneca37rb15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 03:56 AM   #53

I may be 180 degrees out here, but I think my transfer switch defaults to generator. That is the reason you hear that "thunk" when first connecting to shore power after the delay. That is the switch transferring from it's default position to shore power position.

If I'm wrong please correct me.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 06:17 AM   #54
Site Team

Try this... turn off all your AC loads (use breakers if possible), then disconnect shore power... see if it makes the loud noise without a load on it. I believe the noise is in the electronic relays which have heavy duty springs to snap the relay contacts.

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 06:34 AM   #55

seneca37rb15, I would verify the pedestal has power and the pedestal breaker is on. In older CGs it is not uncommon to find a bad leg or open neutral in the 50 amp supply too. Perhaps you can reach another pedestal with your plug to try that one? Try one that you know works on another RV.

From there I would check the breakers in RV panel. At this point it could be anything. Broken wire in your shore wire, bad transfer switch, loose wore anywhere on the rig - just about anything connected can give trouble.

What you are experiencing is not common. The transfer switch on the Precept is under the master bed. Not sure about the Seneca except they are nice rigs!! The Precept bed lifts up like a trunk lid on a car does. Under there you will see a sheet of paneling with 4 screws holding it in place. Remove screws and paneling and you will see a big ole gobbed up mess of wiring. It's a shame how Jayco just leaves all the wiring loose and unlabeled. Color code is very poor too so you need to kinda understand electricity to even attempt a fix.
Old 09-30-2015, 08:52 PM   #56

Installed a Surge Guard with a remote power monitor between the xfer switch and the coach power box. That way it will monitor both the generator or shore power. when power is applied, the surge guard monitors both hot legs and if there is a problem, it will not pass the power. If all is ok, after 128 seconds it passes power thru. Needed the remote as I installed the surge guard under the bed. found a loose neutral wire on the xfer switch during the install. BTW what a mess of wires under that bed.
suprstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 05:30 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprstreet View Post
Installed a Surge Guard with a remote power monitor between the xfer switch and the coach power box. That way it will monitor both the generator or shore power. when power is applied, the surge guard monitors both hot legs and if there is a problem, it will not pass the power. If all is ok, after 128 seconds it passes power thru. Needed the remote as I installed the surge guard under the bed. found a loose neutral wire on the xfer switch during the install. BTW what a mess of wires under that bed.
Oh yeah, they get no points for neatness with the transfer switch wiring...horrible

Old 10-01-2015, 06:46 AM   #58

Yes, after you take one look at that fire hazard it makes you think twice if you want to sleep there!!
Old 10-01-2015, 10:24 AM   #59
WDW

That mess also gets hot and radiates heat up to the bed. It is the primary reason we are shopping for a different motorhome. We actually installed a smoke detector in that compartment for some peace of mind.

Formerly 31FK 15 Grayhawk
Toad: 2015 Jeep Cherokee "The Caboose".

Taking in the sights wherever my Trolley takes me!
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 10:34 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW View Post
That mess also gets hot and radiates heat up to the bed. It is the primary reason we are shopping for a different motorhome. We actually installed a smoke detector in that compartment for some peace of mind.

I am going to install a hard wired power monitor soon with remote display. I plan to tidy up that wiring mess while I am there but your smoke detector idea is golden!

I'll mount a Home Depot smoke detector under the bed this weekend.

THANKS FOR A GREAT IDEA!!