Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-26-2021, 11:20 AM   #1

Trim problem

There is an aluminum “L” trim bar along the bottom of the side walls of the coach. Near the rear, the bar has bent outwards on both sides, though mor significantly on the driver site. I have been told that the bar needs to be removed and straightened. Does anyone know what caused this? I was on a very ruff road outside of Kingman Az just before I noticed the bent trim.

Does anyone know for sure what causes this or what can be done to prevent it?
Mhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 03:32 AM   #2

based on the limited info you supplied and no pictures, my guess is you bottomed out the coach on a rough road/dip/ditch?

Mark
Old 06-27-2021, 03:08 PM   #3

Here is a photo of the driver side trim. Again, this is located at the rear just in front of the point where the box angles up to the back bumper.

The day I noticed this, I was on a very bumpy stretch of highway between Kingman and Williams Arizona. I am guessing the coach was severely twisting as it bounced around.

Avoid this stretch of highway, it is horrible.
Attached Thumbnails
9EE7EE72-A70C-42EF-9171-30216E1DD241.jpg   DFCBE376-D308-468B-A4A7-D2181D8F83D2.jpg  
Old 06-27-2021, 03:47 PM   #4

Just posted a couple pics
Old 06-28-2021, 05:10 AM   #5

what's the bottom/underside of the trim look like? does it show any signs of it be hit/scratched which would indicate "bottoming" out ?

Mark
Old 06-28-2021, 08:09 AM   #6

Trim Problem

No, not a mark of any kind on the paint anywhere including the bottom of the trim.

I don’t understand exactly how the side wall is constructed and what it might be attached to. However I can say that the rig was rocking violently back and forth on that very ruff road earlier in the day before I noticed the trim was bent outward. Again, its bent on both sides of the rig, though the passenger side is not near as back as the drivers side. My guess is the box was flexing back and forth and maybe that is what happened.

I am going to take it off and have it straightened by a metal shop. I was told not to try to straighten it while its attached. Hopefully it does not come back again.
Old 06-29-2021, 02:48 PM   #7

I had a bent piece thru my own fault under the generator compartment on my 31UL. I asked my dealer if Jayco would send me a 4' piece to replace it and Jayco sent a pc 16' long. Once I installed the 4' pc I caulked it up with almond phenoseal and it is good as new. Might be an option if the metal shop cannot straighten it.
ladder16 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aluminum, bent aluminum, trim