Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-03-2016, 04:51 PM   #1

Type and largest house batteries for 35un

On a trip to the balloon festival in New Mexico and our house batteries are not holding a charge - even after on 50 amp overnight at the KOA when we stopped for lunch we got low voltage alarms from our refrigerator. Starting the generator solved the problem short term but with two years on these dealer installed batteries they probably need replacing.

Now the question-

The batteries installed in the sliding tray above the propane tank- are shorter than the tray would accept. Does anyone know what size battery is the proper size to to fill the tray capacity.

And what type of battery is appropriate for the 12 volt house batteries?

I was thinking of going to a 24 hour Walmart and buying new house batteries this evening.
Jeff k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 05:14 PM   #2

Most uber-RV owners prefer 6V golf cart batteries such as the Trojan T-105s.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 07:42 AM   #3

Group 27 batteries are the largest that will fit in the Mor-Ryde battery tray. Group 31's might fit but measure carefully as the rivets take up space in the tray.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 10:01 AM   #4

Talked to Battery Systems in Salt Lake City and it looks like the Full River agm sealed DC model batteries will fit in the tray - just a little more amp hours than the group 27.

i think I will have my marine electrician add two trojan 6 volt batteries behind the normal house batteries as well. Not sure where to mount them - maybe in a compartment on the left side of the coach to even out the weight- ( I am more of a boat guy than rv).

Thanks
Jeff k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 10:21 AM   #5

Jeff, I just installed two Full River DC215-12 group J-185 batteries in the compartment next to battery/ propane compartment. I made a unistrut frame to hang off of the frame of the coach and mounted the battery tray to that. There is no weight on the storage compartment. The capacity of these and the coach combined gives us days of dry camping with no worries.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 11:25 AM   #6

Before you buy new batteries, first check all the connections, including those on the batteries and the ground connections from battery to frame, and frame to converter. It may be that the batteries are still good, but the connections are imperfect.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 11:33 AM   #7

And to add to SmokerBill, check the electrolyte level and add distilled water if low (unless you have sealed AGM batteries; that's unlikely if dealer installed). It may be that just a little preventive maintenance is all that's needed. 2 years is pretty quick to kill a pair of batteries.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote