Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-02-2022, 06:04 PM   #1

Unable to access wineguard default SSID

Hi. My Alante 27A came with the Winegard 2.0. I was trying to connect to it to configure the unit but for some reason the default wireless SSID is not showing up. I do have a switch plate on one of the cabinets with a Winegard label and it has a coax port and a PWR ANT and WIFI PWR buttons.

When switching off the PWR ANT I lost the OTA channels.. good but with the WIFI PWR on/off I can’t see the default SSID. I am assuming power to the unit is fine as the TV channels are gone when PWR ANT is off.

Any idea? Am I missing something?
embeleco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 05:19 AM   #2

Hi embeleco
I have the same problem with my Winegard 2.0 I called Winegard the 1st thing they said do you have 12 volts to the Winegard at the antenna i checked yes it has 12 volts they said is at a good 12 volts a little lost about that question 12 volts is 12 volts. They did say you might have a bad antenna and will send you one i said no let the dealer handle it let them do the warranty work. Ill will be following your post, good luck with it.
2022 36K7 GT 7 Georgetown
2020 Ford Ranger 4x4
US NAVY Retired
Tony p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 07:11 AM   #3

Hey Tony.

I found a post on another forum with another rig (not Jayco) having exactly the same issue. Below his post:

“ Problem solved. Pulled the panel but did have to persuade the wiring to uncoil from its lair and found the Positive/red wire dangling loose. I replaced it and was fully connected after 30 minutes of software and config adjustments. I believe I replaced the +ve / red wire on the correct terminal as opposed to the reverse polarity I was going to try. Just figured that the square peg in the square hole was the first place to start.”

I haven’t try to remove my Winegard switch plate to check for loosen cables but it may be a good starting point.

Did you contacted warranty already?
Old 04-03-2022, 02:43 PM   #4

Update:

I was able to open the Winegard switch plate today and I found out the cables going to the WIFI connected to the wrong polarity. Quick fix for this one.

Thanks.
Old 04-04-2022, 05:15 AM   #5

embeleco
Thats Great. When you say the switch plate is this the one on the wall with the 2 buttons for TV and wifi and all the cables connections or is this up on the Winegard itself.
2020 Ford Ranger 4x4
US NAVY Retired
Old 04-04-2022, 06:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony p View Post
embeleco
Thats Great. When you say the switch plate is this the one on the wall with the 2 buttons for TV and wifi and all the cables connections or is this up on the Winegard itself.
Yes. The one in the wall. I found the red cable connected to the WIFI- instead of the WIFI+.
embeleco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 06:28 AM   #7

I had a similar problem. Power on at the wall switch but the SSID never appeared as an option on any of my devices. Went on the roof to check and there was no green power LED showing on the antenna, next to the SIM card slot on the back of unit. Removed cover and found where the power cable connected to the board, checked power there with a meter and it showed a negative 12v reading. Switched the wires there and it powered right up and SSID appeared. Connected and able to configure the unit from the app with no issues from that point.

I'm not impressed with the performance of the Winegard unit yet but have not stopped long enough to see why it is much slower than just connecting to the wifi source direct from my phone/laptop or why the 4G speed is so much slower than using my phone as a hot spot with the same signal strength.
GollyGwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 08:23 AM   #8

Hi GollyGwiz.

Which Carrier/Plan are you using for 4G/LTE on the Winegard? I checked some carrier plans but they are very expensive for the data included on it.
Old 04-04-2022, 12:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by embeleco View Post
Hi GollyGwiz.

Which Carrier/Plan are you using for 4G/LTE on the Winegard? I checked some carrier plans but they are very expensive for the data included on it.
Went with AT&T SIM card and they had a deal for small business sole proprietors for $60/month with unlimited 5G data. Their normal AT&T Prepaid Unlimited 5G plan is currently $65/month. This gets you an AT&T SIM card to replace with the card that came with the Winegard, easy to do, then there are few minor changes to make on the Winegard config which can be done on the app and is documented in the manual.

This is a 5G card and not sure if that is causing the slowness I've seen as the Winegard states it is 4G but don't know if that is the source. Going to gather some evidence when I have the time and get on with Winegard support to see why the same wifi is half the speed when connecting through the Winegard opposed to connecting direct.
GollyGwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 02:00 PM   #10

embaleco
I did check the wall plate today and the wires were backward also i change them and i had wifi. Now all i have to do is find our manual i had it out for the tech when i drop off my RVthat they had for 7 1/2 weeks and they did nothing. I called them they don't have it they say. Guess I'll call winegard hope they can help.
2020 Ford Ranger 4x4
US NAVY Retired
Old 04-09-2022, 03:58 PM   #11

manuals can be downloaded here https://winegard.com/gateway/

2017 Ram Cummins 3500, 4x4, Dually Aisin, 3.73
B&W hitch
Learjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 08:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony p View Post
embaleco
I did check the wall plate today and the wires were backward also i change them and i had wifi. Now all i have to do is find our manual i had it out for the tech when i drop off my RVthat they had for 7 1/2 weeks and they did nothing. I called them they don't have it they say. Guess I'll call winegard hope they can help.
Glad it worked for you as well... now regarding the manual.. I think they add a sticker to the manual with the SSID and default password.. not sure if they are the same for all their installations but if you want I can send you a DM with mine and see if that works for you.
Old 04-11-2022, 05:21 AM   #13

embeleco
Thank you for your offer. I did find our manual. I do have a SSID showing up now. Now to just set it all up.
2020 Ford Ranger 4x4
US NAVY Retired