Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-03-2022, 07:21 AM   #1

Uncovered storage - concerns?

I recently moved my vision 29f from paid covered storage to uncovered on property due to recent increases in storage costs (and having the space and poa regulations that allow it on property). I get full morning and midday sun (in south texas), but shade from my house in the afternoon and evening hours. Anything other than increasing the frequency of roof checks for cracking/,etc. and expectation of more dicor that i should be concerned about for longer term uncovered storage? I realize fading, etc may also be uneven due to direction of sun/etc. But expecting that should be mostly for the decals...
Boiler01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 08:24 AM   #2

They are made to be outside fulltime. Just keep up on the yearly maintenance and clean it a couple times a year and it should be fine. I live in mine fulltime so it is outside and I haven't even seen fading yet.
Flashdman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 08:25 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boiler01 View Post
I recently moved my vision 29f from paid covered storage to uncovered on property due to recent increases in storage costs (and having the space and poa regulations that allow it on property). I get full morning and midday sun (in south texas), but shade from my house in the afternoon and evening hours. Anything other than increasing the frequency of roof checks for cracking/,etc. and expectation of more dicor that i should be concerned about for longer term uncovered storage? I realize fading, etc may also be uneven due to direction of sun/etc. But expecting that should be mostly for the decals...
You're gonna do much better than me. I'm in an open storage lot in south Texas and not covered. Our 2019 355 has faded really bad mostly on the passenger side. Roof is fine, just keep up on the dicor and other seals. But you will see accelerated aging not being covered.
rkymntsno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 09:15 AM   #4

From my experience, being next to the house results in it's own set of problems - mostly from stuff coming from the roof. I found that rain "bounced" stuff (like tar, sand, black streaks, etc.) off the roof and really got my RV dirty. And I mean black, streaky dirt. Moving it several feet away from the roof was much better.

Also watch anything plastic on the roof - vent hoods, AC hood, gas/electric refrigerator vents, etc. Sun and UV exposure is not kind to plastics - even if those plastics contain UV protection. When I stored outside I had to regularly (every 4 to 5 years) have to replace cracked vent hoods.
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 01:22 PM   #5

T'were me, I'd buy myself a decent tarp big enough to wrap it up for the off-season. Keep the elements off it, and protect my investment.

But that's just me.....Roger
GTS225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 03:06 PM   #6

Out in the sun all year, make sure to put a nice quality wax on a couple times a year.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 04:02 PM   #7
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
Out in the sun all year, make sure to put a nice quality wax on a couple times a year.

That might work in some places but in Arizona/Texas/Nevada and other states around us wax helps but not much. Nothing survives the sun here, including idiots from parts east who try hiking urban mountain trails in 110+. Some woman hiker died trying that a few days ago.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 07:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTS225 View Post
T'were me, I'd buy myself a decent tarp big enough to wrap it up for the off-season. Keep the elements off it, and protect my investment.

I would not recommend a typical plastic tarp, but I’ve been happy with quality covers. I throw a lightweight one on in the summer months if we are homebound for more than two weeks and a heavier Elements one for all winter. I do also put a coat of quality wax on at least once a year but that obviously does not do anything to protect the roof, skylight etc.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 11:12 AM   #9

I agree with a quality cover. I think it makes a huge difference by reducing UV damage.
DonC757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 11:36 AM   #10
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
That might work in some places but in Arizona/Texas/Nevada and other states around us wax helps but not much. Nothing survives the sun here, including idiots from parts east who try hiking urban mountain trails in 110+. Some woman hiker died trying that a few days ago.
I like the sign at Quacita Mtns. Wildlife Refuge, "When your water is half gone, your hike is half done".
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 11:43 AM   #11
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyrlef View Post
I like the sign at Quacita Mtns. Wildlife Refuge, "When your water is half gone, your hike is half done".

That is strongly pushed on hiking trails here. Some don't pay attention.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 06:23 PM   #12

Make sure to cover your tires if you’re not doing it already. If you don’t cover the entire RV with a cover you can at least cover your AC’s with individual covers. Not a complete fix but every little bit helps. Also, make it as critter proof as you can.
Old 09-13-2022, 07:41 PM   #13

I'm storing outside in San Antonio. So far I haven't seen any increased weathering. What's nice is my solar keeps everything charged and ready to go.
Old 09-18-2022, 07:56 AM   #14

Covered inside storage is always better & more preferable over outside storage- the sun doesn't deteriorate the roof, exterior finish & tires nearly as fast as sitting outside. You also are protected from hail & flying debris in a storm.

It will cost you more, but I think it's worth it to keep your RV in good shape down the road.

Happy Trails
Capt. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 11:21 AM   #15

While my experience with HF tools is spotty at best, especially when their "heavy duty" grey tarp lasted just 2 months recently - I used to get about a year out of one... However, I have had a great experience with the black mesh tarp. I use it for UV protection and it's mesh so what rain we get evaporates quickly. My camper doesn't have a ladder so it is a bit of a PITA dragging it up there to put on, but it seems to help?
3belkhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 11:38 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTS225 View Post

DON'T use a tarp to cover your RV. They condensate on the underside and are not recommended. If it is put on too tightly it will trap moisture not eliminate it. Get yourself a good quality breathable multi layer RV cover such as the kind made by RV Cover.com. They are specifically made in different styles and lengths to suit almost any RV out there from TT's to Class ABC motor coaches and fivers.
Cheers
Rick
CBCOCRBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 12:01 PM   #17

I keep both of mine outside and have for years. Just don't neglect it and it should be just fine.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote