Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-08-2016, 08:40 AM   #1

Under Bed "Hum"

I am two weeks away from purchasing a 2016 Precept 31ul. The unit is located out of state. In trying to do some background research I came across this forum. Nice site! I then saw a couple of posts about the "hum" under the bed. How bad is it? My wife is a light sleeper and this may be a real issue for us. Any 2016 owner feedback experiencing this would be appreciated.
megalucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 10:08 AM   #2

Most hum so quietly, you have to listen to hear them. I don't know anyone who would stay awake but I don't know everyone. The hum should be easily masked if need be.

I'll put it another way - it has to be dead quiet and I have to be in the bedroom to even hear mine when I am listening for it. Mine is more noticeable from outside near the power door where cord is stored. I do have a 2 inch thick memory foam pad on top of the factory mattress.

I hear the converter cooling fan much louder than I hear the transfer switch hum.

BTW - Jayco uses the same transfer switch from 2014 up in the Precept.

You are going to find most RV parks have enough surrounding noise that the normal noise inside your rig does not matter. I think your wife will have more trouble dealing with that than the hum from transfer switch. Parking near a street or hiway will be a lot more noise.
an Aluma low bed trailer with HD Road King and/or Polaris RZR onboard
mowdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 10:11 AM   #3

Just saw your location - are you shopping at JWRV in Vegas? If yes, PM me for help, I know them all very well. I would be happy to go listen to the unit you are thinking about to see how loud the hum is in that one.
an Aluma low bed trailer with HD Road King and/or Polaris RZR onboard
mowdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 12:59 PM   #4

We've had our 35S for a week now and slept in it last night for a test run. I slept just fine with the "hum". The loudest part of the hum is the cooling fan and doesn't run all the time. As an electrician the location of the converter and electrical connections is in a great spot for a service stand point. I will be adding a surge suppressor this week as soon as it arrives.
I just raised the bed and opened up the electrical compartment and the automatic transfer switch does hum. Ours so little that I can barely hear it. If the ATS does hum loudly then the relay may be going bad or not securely fastened. The humming is caused by electromagnet keeping the relay closed. These relays don't last forever so expect to replace it at some point but that depends on how often it is used or cycled open/closed. Also, make sure the metal cover is securely fastened so it does not amplify the noise.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:11 AM   #5

Thanks. Not going through JW but appreciate the offer.
megalucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 01:45 PM   #6
WDW

Placing the electrical gear under the bed makes it hot. It also made us nervous and is one of 3 reasons we traded our Greyhawk after 11 months. Ours was a mess, loose connections and combustible construction debris were found a month after delivery. We even found a very nice carpenter's razor knife (we kept that when we traded).

Formerly 31FK 15 Grayhawk
Toad: 2015 Jeep Cherokee "The Caboose".

Taking in the sights wherever my Trolley takes me!
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 10:31 AM   #7

I have a 2014 Precept 31 UL and the Hum is enough to keep me awake sometimes, this hum cause any issues with the power, should I worry?

2014 Jayco Precept
towing
2008 Honda CRV
Ropark50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 10:51 AM   #8

We occasionally hear the converter fan hum, but it is not very loud. I did clean up the construction mess beneath our Greyhawk bed, filled the conduit openings with foam to keep out critters, and added a battery-powered smoke alarm for just-in-case.

Our dealer was in there recently to add a breaker for a new circuit to supply the electric/LP tank water heater which replaced the LP-only Girard tankless water heater. To make the electrical compartment easier to access they added a piano hinge to the lid.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 01:10 PM   #9

The hum is normal, it is the magnetism keeping the relay closed in the automatic transfer switch. It is not too warm in the compartment. Heat will not affect the ATS and the converter has a cooling fan in it. Yes the workmanship of the wiring looks like **** and there is construction debris in there. Vacuum it out and take a nap. IF the "hum" gets loud or if the ATS chatters at all then have an electrician NOT and RV mechanic check it out, they do go bad but can also last for 20 years. Yes, I'm new to the forum but not to RVing and certainly not to world of "hum".
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:21 AM   #10

Just do not buy a Jayco Precept. I got mine brand new 29 UR 3 weeks ago and it is the worst thing that ever happened to me. Besides all the issues below it drives like crap.
Campingworld and Jayco are not really willing to fix any of the 18 points list that i gave them.
Leaking slide,molded matress, molded wood and carpets, hide a way cabinet that came out in right turns hidding my daughters leg, missing shade in rear, radio not working, overhead bunk bed loose, driver seat armrest broken, and and and, does not stop. Outside mirror folding in at 55mph, cameras not working .Not eaven the main lock is working. No one is able to get a new lock. It's on backorder like almost everything, they say. Since 3 weeks. And i wanted to go on a 2 months trip last week. Now staying at home and repairing everything by mayself. Jayco sucks. Campingworld sucks.

And lf course the "Hum" that you mentioned is not nice, as bad as whole electrical cabinett looks like. Full of garbage, parts, screws even tools.
chevymirco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 10:31 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevymirco View Post
Just do not buy a Jayco Precept. I got mine brand new 29 UR 3 weeks ago and it is the worst thing that ever happened to me. Besides all the issues below it drives like crap.
Campingworld and Jayco are not really willing to fix any of the 18 points list that i gave them.
Leaking slide,molded matress, molded wood and carpets, hide a way cabinet that came out in right turns hidding my daughters leg, missing shade in rear, radio not working, overhead bunk bed loose, driver seat armrest broken, and and and, does not stop. Outside mirror folding in at 55mph, cameras not working .Not eaven the main lock is working. No one is able to get a new lock. It's on backorder like almost everything, they say. Since 3 weeks. And i wanted to go on a 2 months trip last week. Now staying at home and repairing everything by mayself. Jayco sucks. Campingworld sucks.

And lf course the "Hum" that you mentioned is not nice, as bad as whole electrical cabinett looks like. Full of garbage, parts, screws even tools.
Did you buy the unit sight unseen? Most of these items would have been obvious on a walkthrough it seems?
Old 05-23-2016, 11:26 AM   #12

Who looks under a matress when buying a brand new motorhome to check for wet and mold down there?
Old 05-23-2016, 11:38 AM   #13

So you bought a brand new camper and Camping World and Jayco flat out denied fixing every single item wrong with it? Just like most people I had some issues from the start but my local dealer took care of everything including several nitpick items. I find it hard to believe that your dealer won't repair anything under warranty but maybe some dealers are just that bad.
estesbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 11:52 AM   #14

The problem is that i bought it at Campingworld in South Carolina and drove it down to Sasrasota, FL. (Was the only one with my prefrered floorplan up there)
The dealer where i bought doesn't care at all, Jayco customer support is terrible. RV was at local Campingworld now for 2 1/2 weeks and did not get the parts from Jayco. Even worse: the radio finally worked but dissapeared in the instrument panel after 5 miles, they put in a new matress but left the molded carpet and wood inside. Took it appart yesterday: all wet still. Wtf! They just do not care at all. There are even small animals in the wood... The not working lock i took apart meanwhile i could make at least the electronic lock working. So i am able to leave for my2 month trip tomorrow.
If anyone want to buy it end of june let me know, will be happy to give it away.