Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-02-2020, 04:15 PM   #1

Used Motor Home Waranty

OK, again looking at a used 2017 Alante 26X....7000 miles on her....do dealers (Camping World) typically offer a decent warranty or the “30 mile/30 minute” type? I realize most warranties on new motor homes are 1 Year on the coach and then 2 years on the fridge/furnace/water heater, etc. You would think that they would offer at least one camping season but that may be too much to ask for.
I am sure there are forum users out there that have experienced this.
Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!
Stu & Nina Stoner
stustoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 04:20 PM   #2

Jayco does not offer a transferable warranty. The coach it self may still have a manufacturer's warranty on the drivetrain.

Personally I'm not an extended 2nd party warranty person. I would skip it and save the $, for the 1 or 2 things than may happen.

Make sure to take the Alanta out for an extended test drive, alot of people complain about its stiff front suspension and handling.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 04:24 PM   #3

Welcome to the JOF, Stu & Nina!

A warranty does give piece of mind. A reputable dealer should stand behind what they sell. That being said, Camping World is not one of those dealers, unfortunately. If you search this forum, you will see mostly negative comments about CW. You can also Google "Camping World Reviews" for more comments.

As you will find here, most problems with an RV are found within the first year of ownership. Hopefully, the previous owner has found those and are no longer a problem. The cost of an extended warranty isn't cheap. Many members here suggest banking the monthly warranty payment into a repair fund, in case something does need fixing.

I reiterate my input (only because you asked) to reconsider buying from Camping World and minimizing problems in the future with repairs that they might (or might not) do.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 04:32 PM   #4

Others will chime in, but one thing's for sure; no Jayco warranty. They're not transferrable.

Individual components have warranties too (Fridge, furnace, WH, etc...) but I don't know that those are transferable either. Would be worth a look and an ask IMO.

You probably have some warranty left from Ford on the chassis, but that's through Ford.

Personally I would not buy one of their "Extended" warranties, but some have had good experience with those. The ones offered through Camping World seem to be pretty bad, but I have no direct experience.

So, for a used unit, you either throw the dice (and lay down a chunk of cash) on a stand-alone warranty, or you get good at fixing things, and put the money you would've dropped on a warranty into a "repair escrow" account.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 06:39 PM   #5
CAG

I have never heard of a warranty on a used RV. The original usually goes to the original owner and ends when it is sold. Extended warranties are a money maker for the dealers, or those selling them and some states have begun action against some of the warranty companies because of the bilking of consumers. Consumer Reports and Dave Ramsey are two that say, stay away from them. They are not worth the money in the long run. Sure some will say they came out ahead, but they are the minority.

And Camper's World has some pretty bad ratings and reports. Going with them is a major gamble that you will probably lose.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 03:50 AM   #6

Thanks all, for the input.....I am NOT a believer in an extended warranty and would not buy one.....and I am good at fixing things myself. We have had 2 previous RVs (one TT and one MH) and I know what to look for. I realize things happen but that is life.
We bought our last MH at CW and have been very satisfied with the product and the minor under warranty repairs that they did (I know I am in the minority).
Again, Thanks.
stustoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 11:37 AM   #7

One person's experience with all extended warranties. Back in about 1990 I stop buying any extra warranties. Then they were relatively scarce. It started with declining a replacement plan on contacts. I started adding up the money I was saving. Over thirty years, counting cars and such, I've saved well over $15,000. In the past few years I've been out of pocket one tire from Goodyear, and a cell phone. I'm still winning.

Except . . .

I bought an older home that came with the warranty and I've been getting my money back each year. Microwave, AC unit, water heater, etc.
Old 01-03-2020, 02:21 PM   #8

First RV extended warranty paid for a new refrigerator (Dometic 4 door), furnace replacement and AC replacement. When I traded the unit in and cancelled the remainder of the warranty I got 50 percent of the cost back one to the good for me.

Second RV extended warranty paid for nothing and when traded in I got 45 percent back one to the bad for me

Used Ford Expedition extended warranty paid for cylinder head replacement, front brake rotors, electric window motor, brake booster when I traded the vehicle in I received a 35 percent refund on cost another to the good for me

House warranty this year repaired dryer, refrigerator, replaced dishwasher (currently waiting delivery of the new dishwasher), replaced electrical switches (2 each). one to the good for me.

Right now I think I will use my gut instinct rather than the opinion of others in selecting whether or not to get an extended warranty. I am ahead by thousands of dollars by getting the warranties I purchased. The same applies to trip insurance. I purchased it three times and used it all three times due to conditions beyond our control or in one case a heart attack.

Bottom line, trust your instincts.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 08:16 PM   #9

I have a Good Sams Extended Warranty Gold Plan with tire Protection and Extended Seals and Gaskets on my 2014 Precept. Covers everything in the motor home and I mean everything. Deductibles are 500-1000. You can purchase it on a month to month basis, quarterly or annually. I pay month to month 98.00 and can cancel it anytime I choose. Some I know only carry it during spring, summer and fall and cancel it during winter months as they have their unit in storage. I keep mine all year around for peace of mind. https://www.goodsamesp.com/rv-extended-warranty/ check it out.....
Old 07-18-2020, 08:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
First RV extended warranty paid for a new refrigerator (Dometic 4 door), furnace replacement and AC replacement. When I traded the unit in and cancelled the remainder of the warranty I got 50 percent of the cost back one to the good for me.
I had the same experience.

To me that is always the key to buying one. Do you get a refund if you don't go the full term and does it come with either "no deductible or a reduced deductible" if the work is done at the selling dealer.