Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-14-2017, 08:36 PM   #1

Exclamation Using automatic jacks to level 31v Alante?

Should the front tires lift off the ground when leveling the rig with hydrolic system
Gayeferg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 09:28 PM   #2

It's better to have some support under the wheels and not be totally supported by jacks. I've taken boards and drove up on the front tires and then auto leveled so the jacks don't fully support the axle and wheel weight. I've seen it done many times though.

hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 07:50 AM   #3

No and Yes. I'm not sure about the Alante coaches but my Precept is equipped with a Power Gear brand system. The front hydraulic rams are 7,000 lb. rated each so the pair will lift 14k lbs. My scale ticket says my front axle weighs 9300 lbs which is way under the rated limit of the system. Both rams are bolted very securely to the frame just behind where the axle is mounted. Lifting the front end off the ground does not hurt a thing in this case other than making that first step tall as you go inside.

The first thing you need to do is find out if your auto level system is calibrated correctly. There is a procedure to fix this if you need to but you need to put a level in the floor of your coach after it has self leveled to see if it really is getting level. Perhaps it is lifting the front too far thinking it is getting level. If you are sitting on ground that is close to level, your system should not have to lift front wheels off the ground. If you are backed into a space that slopes towards the street then it is common to see front wheels come off the ground.
an Aluma low bed trailer with HD Road King and/or Polaris RZR onboard
mowdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 10:00 AM   #4
RWK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayeferg View Post
Should the front tires lift off the ground when leveling the rig with hydrolic system
None of the wheels should completely lift off the ground. We drive up on a board or two to get us generally level and use the jacks to fine tune the level. The parking brake is on the rear wheels so you definitely want them on the ground.
RWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 12:54 PM   #5

Never have the rear wheels completely off the ground... That's where the parking gear and the parking brake are. Saw one roll forward at a campground because the rear wheels were off the ground and not chocked. Rig didn't go far, but it destroyed the leveling system.

Put some wood under the rear wheels, then chock them.
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 07:46 PM   #6

Never have the rear wheels off the ground unless the front are chocked front and back, and still not a good idea. Although most levelers can lift the coach without issue you lose stability once the wheels are off the ground. I have parked overnight with both front wheels in the air because I had little alternative. The problem is you are lifting from the frame and not the axle, so the weight of the tires, wheels, and axle is only being supported by the spring gear, and in the wrong direction, not good. I now carry a set of stack pads to drive up on if I can't find a level enough spot. I did use the jacks to change a rear outside tire once before I started carrying the pads, also not recommended.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 04:19 AM   #7

Using automatic jacks to level 31v Alante?

As others mentioned the rear wheels are the primary safety point to prevent run away. As I see it the main issue is the lateral stress on the levelers. These are designed to have significant lifting power straight down but the lateral forces can bend the positions, break bolt etc. in most cases the levelers are set in 1.5-2 ft from the outside and 6-8 ft from the front and 10 ft from the back of the unit. When you extend slides and move around the coach you are moving large amounts of weight outside these legs and putting significant sideways pressure. With the wheels on the ground even with unloaded weight they provide stability and reduce these forces. With the wheels up all that force is on the skid plate, on unstable ground all sorts of unintended movement could occur. Like anything in life you can do something 100s of times and nothing happens, then that one time everything fails. No matter what if I have to raise a wheel off the ground I get something under them and never raise the rear off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote