Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-12-2016, 05:12 PM   #1

Using generator

I was told to run the generator every month for a bit if we don't go camping. I should also run something like microwave and I thought A/C. So I go out turn the generator on and microwave doesn't work and neither does A/C. If I run the engine, all things work.

What am I doing wrong? Surely it couldn't be something with the motorhome!!!

Bonnie

digbydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 05:48 PM   #2

Do you have a switch in the power panel that switches from shore power to generator. I agree its a great idea to run the generator monthly with a load on it like the a/c.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 06:06 PM   #3

Hmmm, don't know. I will go check. There is a toggle switch at the floor level by steps coming in that says "main power". I turned that off earlier and it didn't help. Back in a bit.

Bonnie

Old 07-12-2016, 06:16 PM   #4

Sundancer, no switch in box. The motorhome is plugged into house power, 110, and I switched on the A/C and it worked. I didn't leave it on for fear of it drawing to much current. Could it have some wires mixed up?

The wires were reversed on the toggle switch for the heated mirrors and I've heard of others having various wires mixed up.

Bonnie

Old 07-12-2016, 06:20 PM   #5

Do you have the manual handy for the motorhome, I just started to look at it there is a section on the generator. There has to be a transfer switch to go from house power to generator power.
Old 07-12-2016, 06:24 PM   #6

After reading the generator section it looks like the switch is automatic. Just start the generator and let it warm up a few minutes then switch the a/c on, let it run 20 minutes then turn off the a/c then the generator. Its all spelled out in the owners manual under the generator section.
Old 07-12-2016, 06:36 PM   #7

I'll go get it and fix a dish of ice cream and read up on it. Lots of times I try the manuals but don't understand them or they don't have enough information. This forum has been the best help. Thank you for looking it up, now you deserve a dish of ice cream!!

Old 07-12-2016, 06:39 PM   #8

Your geny also has a separate circuit breaker under the front cover, check it.
Old 07-13-2016, 11:40 AM   #9

I didn't see a cover when I looked in the generator compartment. The generator starts and runs okay. It just won't operate the microwave and A/C. The A/C does work when the engine is running as does the microwave.

Old 07-13-2016, 04:40 PM   #10

Check the main breaker box and see if one has tripped when going from shore power to gen power.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:52 PM   #11

The main power by the stairs must be on for my ac units to work off the gen. This is a 12v main which operates my ac themostats.

Not sure about the microwave.

The generator should have two breakers, to remove the cover; pull out the panel from the top, then lift it up and remove the bottom first. That's how my gen cover comes off, then I find two breakers on the left front.

Steve
StevL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 09:06 PM   #12

Main Power

Hey Bonnie,

Your Main Power does need to be toggled on. I will be honest... I need a road map to understand the wiring in theses rigs... But I was just at my rig having battery issues so the main power switch was off and I did not have power to the Thermostat even with the Genny on, therefore no A/C. Once I started the truck it provided the 12v power source and the thermostat came on and the A/C along with it. Of course that does not explain the Microwave??? Something to do with the Inverter maybe?

Now that my battery is functioning again... I turn on the main power, start the Genny and the A/C works fine even without the truck running. I think I also had the inverter on... Not sure if that is required.

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 06:59 PM   #13

Thanks to all your help we have a working generator! Once we were able to remove the front panel, we saw that the breakers had tripped. We reset them and turned on a bunch of stuff for a while.

We traded in a hybrid trailer for this motorhome and had a few problems over the 2 years. As we encountered them and solved them I added the fixes to the manual. I also made a note about the forums available and the great people out there offering help.