Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-28-2023, 07:46 AM   #1

Vibration around 60-63Mph

Anyone have/had vibration at around 60-63mph? We have Goodyear’s 245/70R19.5

Hopefully a balancing issue.

https://supersteerparts.com/top-10-r...v-is-vibrating

The vibration (steering wheel & dashboard) kicks in around that speed but then stops after exceeding 63. Alante 31V is only 2yrs old.
Alante31V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 08:37 AM   #2

I had the same issue on my brand new 2021 vision 29f. Thought balancing issue as well, but the shop I took it to couldn't get one of the tires to balance. I ended up replacing both fronts with toyos and the problem has not come back. I also didn't like the stories about blowouts with the Goodyear's, but I haven't had any issues with my rears (kept the Goodyear's). Maybe you will be able to get them balanced and solve the issue.

My cruising speed is right where the vibrations occurred so I had a high priority getting it resolved.
Boiler01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 10:08 AM   #3

At the speed noted: If the vibration is in your hands, it's front tires most likely. If it's in your seat, it's rear. If it's rear and turns out to not be balance, then the driveshaft may need some attention..especially if it is mounted with a center support bearing. Make certain that any red or yellow dots on the tire side wall, they are aligned with the inflation stem....that can make balancing difficult if off target.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 11:18 AM   #4

Yep, has to be front, the steering wheel and the dashboard shakes.

For those in the tech world, here is what ChatGPT told me, lol;

“There are several potential reasons why your RV may vibrate when driving between 60mph to 63mph:

Uneven tire wear: If your tires are worn unevenly, this can cause vibrations when driving at certain speeds.
Out of balance tires: If your tires are out of balance, this can also cause vibrations when driving at certain speeds.
Loose parts: Loose parts on your RV, such as loose wheel nuts or loose parts on the suspension, can cause vibrations when driving.
Worn suspension components: Worn suspension components, such as shocks or bushings, can cause vibrations when driving at certain speeds.
Alignment issues: If your RV's wheels are not properly aligned, this can cause vibrations when driving at certain speeds.
It is advisable to have your RV inspected by a professional mechanic to diagnose and fix the problem.“

#Bru_Tube

Old 01-30-2023, 08:09 AM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to Foretm
That thing blows my mind sometimes... definitely a powerful tool, but concerning how powerful it is..
Foretm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 02:13 PM   #6

Took RV to Gem City Tire, says front tires ok. Still vibrates.

Should I just get the Toyo M143’s or bug Goodyear?

Plus side, could just think of it as two decent Goodyear spares, if wifey ok with idea.

#Bru_Tube

Old 04-26-2023, 04:33 PM   #7

Years ago when I had a 31 foot Class A that had a vibration that started at 61 mph. I had all tires trued and balanced, 2 alignments, and nothing made a difference. I went to another shop and took an experienced mechanic for a ride. At 61 mph everything started vibrating as usual. He got up and walked to the rear, and then returned to his seat and said “ Your driveshaft carrier bearing is out of alignment”. Got back to the shop, he measured and shimmed the bearing, and I drove it home at 70mph…smooth as glass.

Might be a possibility….

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 05:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 Traveler View Post
Years ago when I had a 31 foot Class A that had a vibration that started at 61 mph. I had all tires trued and balanced, 2 alignments, and nothing made a difference. I went to another shop and took an experienced mechanic for a ride. At 61 mph everything started vibrating as usual. He got up and walked to the rear, and then returned to his seat and said “ Your driveshaft carrier bearing is out of alignment”. Got back to the shop, he measured and shimmed the bearing, and I drove it home at 70mph…smooth as glass.

Might be a possibility….
Yeah, next step is taking it to them now. Have recall items on this 2021 for them to look at as well.

What a pain.
Old 04-26-2023, 06:01 PM   #9

Check your wheel bearing

My new 2019 34G began vibrating/making noise at about 6000 miles. You could feel it in the steering wheel. Had the front tires balanced twice. At about 10000 miles it got really bad. I raised the front end up in the air with the leveling system and tried to shake each front tire. The right front had about an inch of sideways play and made all kind of noise when you spun it. Very slowly drove it to a very close Ford truck dealership and they fixed it. Never dreamed a wheel bearing could fail that soon. I have a video of me shaking the front tire but these forums won’t let me attach it.
DonC757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 08:37 AM   #10

Centramatic balancers
https://www.centramatic.com/balancers.rhtml
billcf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 07:15 PM   #11

Well, it is sitting at Rush Trucking Center now, if they can’t fix, who wants a 2021 Alante 31V?

#Bru_Tube

Old 04-27-2023, 08:13 PM   #12

Check those front wheel bearing

Have them jack the front wheels off the ground and pull them side to side. Or, you can easily do it yourself. Get it on level pavement, set the parking brake, auto level it then push on the down front arrow on your leveling system and lift those front wheels up in the air. I see that in campgrounds all the time. I know you’re not supposed to. Then get out there and Grab the top of each wheel and push and pull on it. You’ll know right away if you have a bad wheel bearing. As I said above mine went bad at about 6000 miles from the factory brand new.
DonC757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 07:41 PM   #13

Thanks, I noted that in order, they are soo backed up, it was funny, they have semi's, garbage trucks, box trucks, you name it, lined up for repairs. Hope to get by June 1st.

https://www.google.com/maps/search/r...!5m1!1e4?hl=en

#Bru_Tube

Old 05-13-2023, 07:14 AM   #14

Wheel bearing

Well, I am 70+ years but have no problem to change out a wheelbearing. Especially if the Dealer takes month to get to it.
1956 Austin Healey 100-4,
2007 Mercedes SL550
They all keep me busy
Hbrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 10:02 PM   #15

On our 2018 Alante 6000 miles I have a vibration similar. Have had front end aligned and put balance beads in the front tires. Still have the bounce. Raised wheels off ground and put a 6x6 close to front tires to check runout. The one bouncing has a 6” along the tread bump that is about 3/32”. Going to grind off the bump soon.
Kevin Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 12:09 PM   #16

Latest;

Rush Trucking Tech took for a test drive, we drove on I75, vibrates at 60-67mph, seems worse when going uphill, even vibrates when letting off gas and also if in neutral. They are still investigating. They did fix the recall on the rear sway brackets. Said he has seen several newer v8 7.3 engine issues.

#Bru_Tube

Old 05-19-2023, 01:00 PM   #17

63mph + vibration

Alante 31, If you can get ahold of a GoPro with magnetic mount, you could set it to record each front tire, and rear tires. Also record the driveshaft at front, rear, and all carrier bearings. You could stop every few miles and relocate the camera. One would think front tires, but hard to tell from drivers seat, right?
Let us know if you do find the real cause please. Respectfully, Kevin
Old 05-25-2023, 02:01 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Cooper View Post
Alante 31, If you can get ahold of a GoPro with magnetic mount, you could set it to record each front tire, and rear tires. Also record the driveshaft at front, rear, and all carrier bearings. You could stop every few miles and relocate the camera. One would think front tires, but hard to tell from drivers seat, right?
Let us know if you do find the real cause please. Respectfully, Kevin
Thanks, it is still at Rush Trucking. Seems they are short staffed. Not sure they know how/what to fix.

Symptoms;

Vibration in steering wheel/dashboard over 60mph

Steering wheel off center (common issue w/F53)

Cruise control will stop working, just going 65-68mph (I do 68mph if no TOAD, w/Toad 65mph) max.
Old 05-25-2023, 02:18 PM   #19

The steering wheel should be centered. When I had the front aligned, they forgot to center it. I called them and the owner had them re do it. Has been centered since. Cruise control, I have no experience to go by. I have same issue. 2018 original Goodyear bought rig used. Took off wheel weights and put in beads, and swapped front tires. Vibration moved to drivers from passenger side. Still bounces. Set a block by the tire for out of round. Passenger slightly off, drivers side, a bump along 6” of tread about 1/16” high. Can’t find anyone to true the tire. Going to try taking it off with bench grinder. Hopefully it will work.
Old 05-25-2023, 05:13 PM   #20
bap

Are they original tires? If so how many miles on them? Did it always do or something that just started?