Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-18-2021, 04:30 PM   #1

Warning 2021 f53/v8

After too many emails, phone calls and time with the dealer, I have found Jayco did not design enough heat shields for the new chassis/engine combination.

Jayco does have a recall for insulation under the doghouse, but that does not address this problem. It does show they neglected to address many of the engine heat related issues.

Problem area one: The primary wire bundle running from the cab to the rest of the coach runs within inches of the passenger side exhaust manifold. Ford wrapped it’s wires in a reflective shield, but Jayco’s wires are unprotected. Pictures of that area show melted conduit and damaged wires. It also explains the electrical and video failures. The dealer has been waiting for weeks for Jayco to make a decision on how to proceed.

Problem area two: Earlier years had a heat shield to protect the forward baggage compartment from exhaust pipe heat. Jayco does not have a heat shield designed for the F53/V8. My dealer has been authorized by Jayco to fabricate one, and provide their engineering back to Jayco. In the pictures attached, you can see the plastic baggage compartment “dripping” down to within 4” of the exhaust pipe.

I believe both of these areas are serious. Either one could cause the complete loss of the coach or worse. Anyone with with this F53/V8 combination should have these areas inspected.
Attached Thumbnails
wire-1.jpg   wire-2.jpg   dripping.jpg  
Old 01-18-2021, 04:48 PM   #2

I will be inspecting mine in the morning!

Thanks for the heads up

What is the name of your dealer?
Sanford Fl camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 06:00 AM   #3

This appears to be wide spread.... and if yes and some serious damage or someone killed.... well, this is pure negligence and prime for law suits/class action.

Seriously..... Jayco... do the right thing and fix it, make it right!!! Make a kit and instructions to deal with built rigs and fix the issue on the assembly line.

Mark
Old 03-01-2021, 02:37 PM   #4

Melted Wire Update

My dealer has seen multiple units with melted wires. The are now adding heat shields to the wiring and baggage compartments as part of the standard PDI.

Jayco has just recently added a heat "reflective sock" to the wires next to the passenger side exhaust and and a heat shield to the forward baggage compartment.
Old 03-02-2021, 05:40 AM   #5

I have a 2021 Alante 31v and haven't noticed any of those issues except the doghouse, and the correction on that worked well. What unit's are you guys experiencing the heat issues with?
JonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 08:27 AM   #6

Mine is a Precept 31UL, but I was told they found melted wires on other 2021's. In the attached photo, you can see that Jayco routed the wires on the engine side of the vertical support that they welded on the Ford chassis. If the wires had been placed on the other side of the vertical support, it might have prevented this issue.
Could you take a similar picture? I'd like to see-
thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
wire-2.jpg  
Old 03-02-2021, 08:33 AM   #7

You can find my pics of the engine and wire insulation on my upgrades link: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...34g-81805.html

Good luck,
Mark
Old 02-15-2022, 11:08 PM   #8

Similar Exhaust Heat Issue, Tiffin Class A

Very similar issue of melted and scorched insulation from exhaust system under new 2022 Tiffin Open Road on F53 chassis with 7.3L V8. Glad to read this post as factory and dealer both said "never heard of this problem".

Still dealing with the issue. What was done to remedy your MH and how has it held up since corrections made?
GaryA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 10:02 AM   #9

You would think JAYCO would have learned from the 2014-2018 recall for a very similar issue. See this link. https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ion-72190.html

Dbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 10:20 PM   #10

I believe Jayco had a recall on this, and the service writer at my dealership said they fixed several customer RV’s & ALL the stock they had on their lot.
Both my issues, in my opinion; no heat shielding for the wiring harness & no heat shielding for the catalytic converter were Jayco’s lack of proper engineering. They had no engineering drawings for either of these issues (according to several people in Jayco’s customer service).

As Tiffin and Jayco are both owned by Thor Industries, it is highly probable that the issue is across all Thor product lines.

Jayco had the entire plastic baggage compartment sent to my dealer ‘FedEx Next Day Air’. That compartment is almost 5’ wide, 3’ tall and over 8’ wide. AND approx. 200 pounds. How much do you think that cost!

My belief is someone is giving you a line of (fill in the blank). They have to know, at least Thor Industries does.

Old 02-20-2022, 01:29 AM   #11

Oh, wow, that's not good I hope that Jayco man up and take care of it.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote