Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-02-2019, 09:15 PM   #21

Send a message via Skype™ to Foretm
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseS View Post
I wonder it that sock restricted my gas mileage, first trip without it soon so I guess I will find out.

Wondering the same thing... problem is my unit is with Cummins right now, and I don't know if I have the sock on it or not.
Foretm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 06:28 PM   #22

Also another yellow sock! On my 2017 Alante 32N - hopefully we see an improvement in fuel consumption rates on our next trip. It makes you wonder what else is being missed/forgotten.
KevTev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 06:41 PM   #23

Just wondering why your unit is at Cummings?
I have made 3 trips to Cummings (since purchasing the unit last August) due to our generator cutting off when the outside temp gets up to mid 90's. The last time they put in a new carburetor. So far seems to have corrected the problem.

Ed
Edonabike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 06:20 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edonabike View Post
Just wondering why your unit is at Cummings?
I have made 3 trips to Cummings (since purchasing the unit last August) due to our generator cutting off when the outside temp gets up to mid 90's. The last time they put in a new carburetor. So far seems to have corrected the problem.

Ed

For exactly the same reason you mention above. As long as the RV is moving, the generator seems to be ok, but if we stop for a few minutes with it running the generator will die on hot days. They've diagnosed it as a bad fuel pump and exhaust coupling. We'll see when it comes back if its fixed or not. if it still has the issue, then i'll ask them to do the carb as well.
Old 08-06-2019, 11:45 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foretm View Post
Wondering the same thing... problem is my unit is with Cummins right now, and I don't know if I have the sock on it or not.

Confirmed, mine has it on it as well, got it back from Cummins yesterday.
Old 08-09-2019, 03:00 PM   #26

Thanks, just took mine off after 2 1/2 years of driving with it on...
borg169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 05:39 PM   #27

Same here. After 40,000 miles, took mine off last week.
Old 08-09-2019, 09:40 PM   #28

Check the bottom of your storage bin if it is above the catalytic converter. I have some melting going on a a small hole in the bin. I wrote to Jayco and they said they would take care of the problem and the heat shielding. I turn it in next week.
borg169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 07:06 PM   #29

I had old yellow too, I did wonder about the birds and bugs getting in there so I found that one of the screens you get for the waste water in your washing machine works perfect with a zip tie, leave the staples in the one end.
Attached Thumbnails
sock.jpg  
Dopalgangr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 01:59 PM   #30

I figured I should chime in before mass hysteria takes over. So these socks are just bug and debris protectors that Freightliner puts on the bare chassis before it ships to Jayco. The production guys do occasionally forget to remove. They are supposed to be removed. However if they are not removed, it does not harm anything as it is an open mesh sock and does not restrict the airflow enough to overheat the engine. If the elastic does not hold the sock on and it happens to get sucked into the intake, there is an air filter that will stop it from going any further and causing any damage. Please just remove the socks and throw them away if you see them on your engine.
KoreanCowboy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 02:06 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoreanCowboy57 View Post
I figured I should chime in before mass hysteria takes over. So these socks are just bug and debris protectors that Freightliner puts on the bare chassis before it ships to Jayco. The production guys do occasionally forget to remove. They are supposed to be removed. However if they are not removed, it does not harm anything as it is an open mesh sock and does not restrict the airflow enough to overheat the engine. If the elastic does not hold the sock on and it happens to get sucked into the intake, there is an air filter that will stop it from going any further and causing any damage. Please just remove the socks and throw them away if you see them on your engine.
Mass hysteria?? I think this issue was answered in post #2 back in July sometime.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 02:43 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseS View Post
Mass hysteria?? I think this issue was answered in post #2 back in July sometime.
A: That would be a satirical comment from me. Obviously there was no mass hysteria. Sometimes we need to chuckle and smile more in life.

B: The issue was answered immediately but oddly enough there are still people commenting on the issue as if they did not know the answer so I figured I would try and give a definitive answer on the subject. Take it or leave it, I guess.
KoreanCowboy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 02:49 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoreanCowboy57 View Post
A: That would be a satirical comment from me. Obviously there was no mass hysteria. Sometimes we need to chuckle and smile more in life.

B: The issue was answered immediately but oddly enough there are still people commenting on the issue as if they did not know the answer so I figured I would try and give a definitive answer on the subject. Take it or leave it, I guess.

OK, thought you neglected to read the entire thread. As for the satirical comment most would have followed it with a so we know you were not serious. You never know these days.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 12:04 PM   #34

Just got a service divisors from Jayco to remove
The screen
Keetters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 10:03 AM   #35

Jayco TSB 19-042

I recieved this TSB from Jayco yesterday pertaining to the yellow mesh sock and blue cap on the air cleaner of my Precept. It is for certain 2014 - 2020 Alante, Precept, Precept Prestige, Vision and Emblem motorhomes built on the Ford F53 chassis. Maybe make this a sticky for those who didn't receive one or bought used?

TSB 19-042.pdf

2017 Precept 35S
2021 Jeep Wrangler toad
Roadmaster Nighthawk tow bar RviBrake3
GMA385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 09:11 AM   #36

I also received this TSB.

Dbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 01:33 PM   #37

Receive the TSB, i just came back from the MH and the yellow mesh sock was on the air cleaner, i removed it .the blue one was not there
My MH is an Alante 29S 2019. So be carefull Alante owners
Road125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 10:54 AM   #38

Thanks all for the great info on this. We just purchased our 2020 Precept Prestige 36H a couple of weeks ago and while I had the hood open I noticed the yellow sock, but thought nothing of it at the time. When I get her back from warranty work, I’ll be sure to remove it.
Old 11-17-2019, 10:18 PM   #39

Golfnut

I received a notice from Jayco about removing the sock an also a blue plastic cap that might be on the air filter. This was for my 2020 Precept. I did remove the yellow sock but didn’t have the cap. I’m taking my rv in for warranty work tomorrow and am wondering if this caused my engine light to go on on our last trip. On for close to 2000 miles.
Golfnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 02:23 PM   #40

Tsb#19-042

got in mail about removing yellow mesh sock. No Blue cap
reply form said to E-Mail form to Compliance@ jayco.com
this is the closes I got to an E-mail form.
For the record bought Jayco precept 29V in July ( believe it or Not ) just pick it up
Almost (4) four months at dealer I am NOT a happy camper
harry1313 is offline   Reply With Quote