Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-21-2019, 08:35 PM   #1

WARNING -Check & Remove from your Precept

WARNING! If any of you happen to have one of these yellow screen “socks” visible on your Precept Ford engine air intake - take it off! While in Factory Service Middlebury they discovered it on there and then they learned 10 of the 12 Precepts on the finished manufacturing line still had them on as well! They are supposed to get removed as the Stripped Chassis get built but no one had informed the assemblers. I put 10,000 miles on my 31UL not knowing this didn’t belong. In fact I washed the damn thing when changing the oil/air filters before this 3 mos trip LOL. It’s put in by Ford for the Stripped Chassis journey to Jayco to keep birds & such from nesting. Keep yours for that same purpose when storing - but remove it otherwise. (It restricts a lot of air and makes the engine run hot)
Attached Thumbnails
75EE21DA-C6C7-4BF3-92BE-EEE779285F65.jpg   C91EF928-FDC6-499C-BEF7-F5E693EBCBE7.jpg  
gowestwardho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 10:58 AM   #2

from Jayco

I followed up on this just to make sure it was all good. Here was the response from Jayco.
Attached Thumbnails
jayco.jpg  
Old 07-25-2019, 11:24 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowestwardho View Post
WARNING! If any of you happen to have one of these yellow screen “socks” visible on your Precept Ford engine air intake - take it off! While in Factory Service Middlebury they discovered it on there and then they learned 10 of the 12 Precepts on the finished manufacturing line still had them on as well! They are supposed to get removed as the Stripped Chassis get built but no one had informed the assemblers. I put 10,000 miles on my 31UL not knowing this didn’t belong. In fact I washed the damn thing when changing the oil/air filters before this 3 mos trip LOL. It’s put in by Ford for the Stripped Chassis journey to Jayco to keep birds & such from nesting. Keep yours for that same purpose when storing - but remove it otherwise. (It restricts a lot of air and makes the engine run hot)

UPDATE: Head over the The Jayco Owner’s Facebook page to see the unreal numbers of owners already finding their engines are running (hot) with all these socks left on (in many cases for years)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizikpal View Post
I followed up on this just to make sure it was all good. Here was the response from Jayco.

Good info thanks for both posts. Will be checking mine when we go to the coach this weekend

2017 Precept 35S
2021 Jeep Wrangler toad
Roadmaster Nighthawk tow bar RviBrake3
GMA385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 03:47 PM   #4

I’ll b removing mine before we head home in the morning.
Old 07-26-2019, 06:27 AM   #5

I feel like this post should be a sticky
Old 07-26-2019, 07:32 AM   #6

How much labor are you going to send them an invoice for? Lol
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 04:33 AM   #7

It's funny since many will go to the dealer and ask for removal.

hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 06:46 AM   #8

Got to our coach last night and sure enough the sock was on the air intake....😯
GMA385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 07:28 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynpmoose View Post
I feel like this post should be a sticky

It's a sticky!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 11:56 AM   #10

We just bought our Precept last weekend and sure enough...I checked it this morning and it has a yellow sock. Will be sure to remove it before our first trip. Thanks for the information!
RVowner2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 01:48 PM   #11

Not only do we have this sock on our new coach on our third trip out this year we discovered Jayco forgot to install the dinette slide topper. How’s that for quality control.
315Precept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 06:05 PM   #12

That's nothing....my catalytic converter is installed up side down, melted a hole right thru my pass thru storage! Jayco told me it was a Ford problem and to contact them hahaha, I fashoned one myself! Oh yeah, my rig also had that dumb yellow sosk!��
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 01:22 PM   #13

Oh Crap! My Alante also still has that on, HA! and I washed the damn thing and put it back also! Haven't had an overheating issue yet.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 05:34 PM   #14

I removed my sock but last night waiting on sleep to arrive started thinking about what a nice place that air box might be for birds and wasps to start construction.

Anyone looked at the bug screens for water heaters to see if anything could be made to fit?
Old 07-30-2019, 05:38 PM   #15

I wonder it that sock restricted my gas mileage, first trip without it soon so I guess I will find out.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 12:52 PM   #16

Sure enough I had the yellow sock on there as well (2018 Alante 31V). But so far no driving problem in 5000 miles.

I did check under the motorhome for the exhaust and there is no pass-through above the cat but anyway a piece of sheet metal between the cat and the coach floor (picture 1).

As for the rear muffler I see a sheet metal shroud strapped around the muffler and another piece of sheet metal installed between the muffler and the rear pass-through (picture 2).

Looks reasonable to me or should I be worried about something?

JB
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1297.JPG   IMG_1298.JPG  
Jerry Burks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 03:16 PM   #17

Air Intake Sock

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowestwardho View Post

UPDATE: Head over the The Jayco Owner’s Facebook page to see the unreal numbers of owners already finding their engines are running (hot) with all these socks left on (in many cases for years)
Read this sticky and went out to check. Took sock off and now have no problems left, LOL. We love the 31UL and really have had minimal problems so far.
jaycojon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 06:57 AM   #18

Guess What I Found

Took delivery of Precept 31UL yesterday, and guess who found a yellow sock on the air intake. The man doing the PDI said that all the Jayco class A he had delivered have had the yellow sock on the air intake.
mtnprecept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 12:35 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickM View Post
I removed my sock but last night waiting on sleep to arrive started thinking about what a nice place that air box might be for birds and wasps to start construction.

Anyone looked at the bug screens for water heaters to see if anything could be made to fit?
Looking at the large opening I am wondering if to fold a screen basket from wire mesh and install over it. That might also be an opportunity to shield the intake from rain water.
Jerry Burks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 04:03 PM   #20

Congrats on your new coach, I know this might sound strange but check to make sure all three slides have their toppers. We have had ours for four months and just realized the slide on the passenger was never installed.
315Precept is offline   Reply With Quote