Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-10-2018, 05:01 AM   #11

Rice1951, I worked in mfg for my career in office equipment. Jayco would lose $$$$$ if they reimbursed parts cost to the dealer. They can't afford to do that.

A real example: a power supply went bad in a customer's printer. He called the local repair shop.
We built the part for $50. We charged the parts distributor $100.
The parts distributor charged $200 to the repair shop.
The repair shop charged $400 to the customer for the part + $15 labor.
We received a detailed letter from the customer that our parts costs are too high. The repair shop was a large chain that sold 1000's of our printers so we couldn't come down hard on them.

So an off the shelf part will probably cost substantially more than one direct from mfg.

Glad you are finally getting it resolved.

hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 05:58 AM   #12

My Precept is at the dealer now getting the last warranty repairs done as warranty expired on 10/6.

One of the repairs is a replacement guide rail for the triple door shower. Like the OP, all I needed was a new rail at the top but the dealer had to order a complete new shower door kit. Hope it is like the OP's and has metal rails instead of plastic.

I ordered a new toilet under warranty in the spring of this year and it had to ship to the dealer. They did not want the old one back.

Old 10-11-2018, 06:56 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice1951 View Post
So they reordered and I’m happy to report they got it right this time. The new rails are made of aluminum instead of plastic so hopefully they will outlast me.
One reason why JAYCO doesn't stock parts. Their third party vendors are changing items all the time. That's also why you see subtle changes in the same model rig over a production year.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 02:44 PM   #14

I completed the rail replacement and the shower door panes now slide much smoother than they ever did. I brought the old plastic rails to the dealer and he asked me if they were both split. I replied that one was split and the other one was showing signs of wear. He told me that Jayco may only reimburse for the one that had failed and that I may have to cover the cost of the 2nd one. It’s rather trivial but I could not see replacing only one now, especially when it’s likely I would be doing the other one after the warranty had expired. I feel very confident I won’t ever have to disassemble this door again, at least not for the guide rail issue.
Old 10-13-2018, 05:08 PM   #15

Double mark up???
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 05:43 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
One reason why JAYCO doesn't stock parts. Their third party vendors are changing items all the time. That's also why you see subtle changes in the same model rig over a production year.
I have to agree to a point... We had a knob on the stove break. We knew that this would never be worth the frustration of getting the right part number for the knob - and of course the first attempt - they shipped was the wrong one.

How many different knobs does Suburban have for their gas cooktop? Why can't Jayco keep track of what is the right one and ship that?

I drove over to the local appliance shop and purchased three matching knobs for half of what my Stealership stole from me to order it and wait a month to get.

Yea, I get it when the part is Mfg by Jayco... but those parts that are for the appliances, parts that Jayco uses in the build that are available from other sources - that is the way to go for those who are willing to fix themselves (and do it right the first time). I am DONE with ordering parts from my local RV stealership that sold us the Seneca.

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote