Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-16-2018, 01:41 PM   #1

Warranty Replacement Parts

I called Jayco Motorized CS today to figure out how to fix my shower door under my warranty. The upper rail which is plastic is cracked and the center door roller won’t stay in the track. I inquired about Jayco sending me the part so I could do the repair myself. I was informed that as of March 2018 that Jayco will no longer send parts to a customer address. They will send it to an authorized Jayco dealer where the customer can then pick it up. Kind of stinks as my closest dealer is 75 miles away but oh well it could be worse.
Rice1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 12:58 PM   #2

Will the dealer ship it to you?
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 09:19 PM   #3

There’s another catch to this. I emailed the dealer with photos, a description of the problem, my coach info and repair authorization from Jayco Motorized CS. The dealer said they could help me out but when I come to pick up the new parts I need to bring them the old parts so they can get paid by Jayco. So I guess I will have to do some disassembly first and since I travel through the dealer area for my employment I can drop off the old and pick up the new. Still better than scheduling an appointment and driving my coach there and back. Plus I can do the repair at my leisure in the driveway once the new parts are in hand. I’m guessing that Jayco changed their policy due to some customers gaming the system - or maybe it’s just Thor imposing its will.
Old 08-29-2018, 11:04 PM   #4

So here it is over a month later and I still don’t have the replacement shower rails. I have talked to both the dealer and Jayco CS and here is what I have been told. Unlike the auto industry the RV industry doesn’t have parts stores all over the country. When an item such as the shower door is installed at the factory it is part of an assembly kit. Jayco does not order individual parts nor do they stock them. It comes to them as a kit. So when a customer like me needs a part for the shower I follow the protocol and contact Jayco Motorized CS. They tell me they can’t send me the part due to a new policy so I go to the nearest dealer and they order it for me with the order number from Jayco. Jayco orders the part from a 3rd party vendor who doesn’t stock the item but instead has to fit it into their production schedule. That can take 6-8 weeks. When it is finally ready they will ship it directly to the dealer where I can pick it up and take it home and do the replacement. So as I mentioned I’m still waiting and getting tired.........so I thought I would try something else. Tonight I took the rail with the crack on the bottom and flipped it over so that the end with the crack now had the crack on the top. The holes for the rollers have the same spacing and since they travel on the bottom of the rail the crack on the top is now insignificant. Once I reassembled the door and tightened everything down the door slides better now than it ever did when I first bought the coach. One thing I also learned is that the little plastic rail end caps are critical. Without them the center panel will over travel in either direction and the rollers will come out of the rail. Then you have to lift the panel up to get it back on the track. I will still get the new rails from Jayco when they come in as it will inevitably happen again due to the weight of the doors and the jarring as the MH travels down the road. I’m not the handiest person in the world but I am able to do the butter basic things to get by and I’m fortunate not to have to rely on a dealer for this fix.
Old 08-30-2018, 04:24 AM   #5

Glad to hear you were able to get it done yourself. I will do anything in my power to avoid any dealer or repair shops. Sometimes I may cost myself a bit more money in the end but I enjoy the satisfaction of fixing something myself.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 05:26 AM   #6

Thor needs to hire the people that set up Amazon's delivery process. But I wonder if you contacted the mfg would they have sent you the broken parts?

hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 06:48 AM   #7
Site Team

For what it's worth, I waiting waiting on a warranty part from Jayco (baggage door that is delaminating) that has been on order since the beginning of June. So, almost 3 months.

It has the original part # on it and I've looked it up online. It's available for immediate shipping from any number of sources online and not expensive. If I can find it and order it myself in a matter of minutes, somebody at Jayco could do the same. I don't buy the "it's only available as a kit" line. If they wanted to do right by the owners in this situation, it could be easily accomplished. It's more of a "If we delay.....they will go away" attitude by Jayco and other manufacturers in the RV industry that is causing this frustration for the owners.

I'm lucky that the repair I need doesn't effect the function of our unit. I can't imagine how frustrated owners with serious problems must be.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 07:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice1951 View Post
. The dealer said they could help me out but when I come to pick up the new parts I need to bring them the old parts so they can get paid by Jayco.
That's been the norm, or it was supposed to be.
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 08:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkster View Post
Thor needs to hire the people that set up Amazon's delivery process. But I wonder if you contacted the mfg would they have sent you the broken parts?
If this were not a warranty issue I would have sought a different resolution. There must be a supply of parts somewhere in the world whether it be new or used. It’s just a matter of researching to find a source.
As for whether or not Jayco purchases parts individually or in a kit it depends on what it is. I’ve taken the Jayco motorized factory tour in Middlebury and I can tell you they are not assembling a triple pane shower door by grabbing individual parts out of bins. It comes preassembled from a 3rd party vendor and gets installed as a unit. If something gets damaged during assembly then your guess is as good as mine as to whether it gets shipped to the dealer like that or whether Jayco’s quality control (tongue in cheek) finds it and fixes it. So we as consumers continue to support the RV industry because even though we all think the quality should be better the pleasure and enjoyment we receive as part of the RV lifestyle far outweighs the downside.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:21 PM   #10

Latest update. After 3 months I now have the correct parts in hand and will be installing them tomorrow. The dealer called me about 6 weeks ago to let me know the parts were in so I went to pick them up and they were obviously not the right ones. I had brought the old parts in and even sent photos and it didn’t help. So they reordered and I’m happy to report they got it right this time. The new rails are made of aluminum instead of plastic so hopefully they will outlast me.
On another note, the dealer parts rep told me that when they deal with Jayco on a warranty parts issue they lose money if they don’t get the parts through Jayco. Jayco takes advantage of economies of scale when purchasing parts for their manufacturing process but these parts are not stocked for dealer use. Dealers need to order their parts through Jayco who orders them from the appropriate vendor who then sends them to the dealer. The dealer is invoiced for those parts and receives reimbursement from Jayco. If the dealer were to order the part directly and the cost is greater than Jayco’s cost, then they eat the cost difference. I tend to believe his story after some of the hoops I’ve had to jump through.
Old 10-10-2018, 05:01 AM   #11

Rice1951, I worked in mfg for my career in office equipment. Jayco would lose $$$$$ if they reimbursed parts cost to the dealer. They can't afford to do that.

A real example: a power supply went bad in a customer's printer. He called the local repair shop.
We built the part for $50. We charged the parts distributor $100.
The parts distributor charged $200 to the repair shop.
The repair shop charged $400 to the customer for the part + $15 labor.
We received a detailed letter from the customer that our parts costs are too high. The repair shop was a large chain that sold 1000's of our printers so we couldn't come down hard on them.

So an off the shelf part will probably cost substantially more than one direct from mfg.

Glad you are finally getting it resolved.

hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 05:58 AM   #12

My Precept is at the dealer now getting the last warranty repairs done as warranty expired on 10/6.

One of the repairs is a replacement guide rail for the triple door shower. Like the OP, all I needed was a new rail at the top but the dealer had to order a complete new shower door kit. Hope it is like the OP's and has metal rails instead of plastic.

I ordered a new toilet under warranty in the spring of this year and it had to ship to the dealer. They did not want the old one back.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:56 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice1951 View Post
So they reordered and I’m happy to report they got it right this time. The new rails are made of aluminum instead of plastic so hopefully they will outlast me.
One reason why JAYCO doesn't stock parts. Their third party vendors are changing items all the time. That's also why you see subtle changes in the same model rig over a production year.
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 02:44 PM   #14

I completed the rail replacement and the shower door panes now slide much smoother than they ever did. I brought the old plastic rails to the dealer and he asked me if they were both split. I replied that one was split and the other one was showing signs of wear. He told me that Jayco may only reimburse for the one that had failed and that I may have to cover the cost of the 2nd one. It’s rather trivial but I could not see replacing only one now, especially when it’s likely I would be doing the other one after the warranty had expired. I feel very confident I won’t ever have to disassemble this door again, at least not for the guide rail issue.
Old 10-13-2018, 05:08 PM   #15

Double mark up???
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 05:43 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
One reason why JAYCO doesn't stock parts. Their third party vendors are changing items all the time. That's also why you see subtle changes in the same model rig over a production year.
I have to agree to a point... We had a knob on the stove break. We knew that this would never be worth the frustration of getting the right part number for the knob - and of course the first attempt - they shipped was the wrong one.

How many different knobs does Suburban have for their gas cooktop? Why can't Jayco keep track of what is the right one and ship that?

I drove over to the local appliance shop and purchased three matching knobs for half of what my Stealership stole from me to order it and wait a month to get.

Yea, I get it when the part is Mfg by Jayco... but those parts that are for the appliances, parts that Jayco uses in the build that are available from other sources - that is the way to go for those who are willing to fix themselves (and do it right the first time). I am DONE with ordering parts from my local RV stealership that sold us the Seneca.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 06:07 AM   #17

Jayco Warranty

Good morning,

I got a Jayco 264BH 2022 under warranty, I bought it with Campers Inn, Florida.

My fridge has stopped working, they got the replacement approved but it has been 4 months with my RV at the dealer, and I called now and they still don’t have a forecast.

Do you guys know if they have a maximum time to have my issue fixed? It’s disrespectful with the customer, I think the dealer where I buy need to be responsible and figure out something.

What’s your opinion? Thank you.
raphaelnpires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 11:40 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by raphaelnpires View Post
Good morning,

My fridge has stopped working, they got the replacement approved but it has been 4 months with my RV at the dealer, and I called now and they still don’t have a forecast.

Do you guys know if they have a maximum time to have my issue fixed? It’s disrespectful with the customer, I think the dealer where I buy need to be responsible and figure out something.

My trailer would have left with me. Call me when the parts are in, our I can blow up your phone looking for it.
Old and soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 02:01 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by raphaelnpires View Post
Good morning,

https://www.jayco.com/contact-towable-service/
Old 07-28-2023, 04:36 PM   #20

My current dealer who is NOT camping world works pretty well with me as far as warranty parts go. I haven't had many issues but the few small ones I did have they swapped parts with me. I did have to bring them the failed part to get the new one. My thought is they are billing Jayco for the warranty time to replace the part. I truly don't care what they do as long as I get my part and can fix my own camper. My last camper came from camping world. The camper was great the buying experience not so much and they would NOT work with me as far as parts swaps went..

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote