Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-16-2016, 08:58 AM   #1

Warranty work by dealer

Hello,

Our 2015 Precept needs work on the living area slide. Since it is still under warranty, we have our fingers crossed that this is covered.

Now, by only problem is that Burlington RV in Wisconsin tells me they only do warranty work in their "off season". So, after March 1 until November 1 I am screwed if something goes wrong. The insurance company says they won't pay for anything that should be covered by warranty.

Has anyone come across a dealer with this type of restriction on warranty work? I was speechless when she told me this. We do have an appointment to bring the unit in on the 19th and she says it will be about a 2 - 2 1/2 week turn around.

Bonnie
digbydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 09:01 AM   #2

I have not ever heard of this but not surprised. RV sales are at an all time high.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 09:43 AM   #3

Did you buy it there? If so I would contact JAYCO and ask them who you can go to, that they will accept and pay or reimburse you for any repairs.
Old 01-16-2016, 09:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Did you buy it there? If so I would contact JAYCO and ask them who you can go to, that they will accept and pay or reimburse you for any repairs.
Hi Grumpy,
We did not buy it from them. They didn't have what we wanted and didn't offer to find one. In fact, the salesman I started working with didn't return my calls, so he was off my list.

Jayco said we should go there since the dealership we purchased from is in Des Moines, Iowa.

I found the name and address of the previous owner and am about ready to contact her to see what, if any, problems she had with the slides.

We are just not happy yet. I drove this home from Des Moines and 2 weeks later tried to open the slide, and poof! Nothing. Well, it did go out 12" and not back in again. Sure gives us an uncomfortable feeling. So far Jayco seems to be trying to help.

There is also a mud flat on back passenger side that is placed too close to the tire and the tire put a hole in it!

Bonnie
Old 01-16-2016, 10:07 AM   #5
Site Team

I hate to mention that Jayco warranty only covers the original owner from what I have heard and experienced.

I would make a few calls on that soon.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 12:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I hate to mention that Jayco warranty only covers the original owner from what I have heard and experienced.

I would make a few calls on that soon.
According to the man I am working with at Jayco if it is their problem, it is covered by warranty. The dealership also said second owner would be covered.
Old 01-16-2016, 12:55 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by digbydoo View Post
According to the man I am working with at Jayco if it is their problem, it is covered by warranty. The dealership also said second owner would be covered.
Great that you have already got that clarified. Could be a different policy for MH's.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 01-16-2016, 04:51 PM   #8
Lost in the Woods

Dealers have various ways of letting owners who didn't buy from them know that taking your business elsewhere has ramifications. Don't kid yourself thinking there is some kind of level playing field just because you have a warranty.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 05:49 PM   #9

RodgerS,
Thanks, I will try to find out from them if it is because we didn't purchase from them when I take it down on Tuesday. The service department is only open 4 days a week in off season so they can't be too busy.

The guy at Jayco didn't sound too pleased when I told him about this situation, we shall see. This is why I presented this on the forum to see if other dealerships do this. The service guy where we purchased our unit thought it sounded kind of weird so it must not be a policy there.

Bonnie
Old 01-17-2016, 05:21 PM   #10

Well, we just talked to the previous owners today and learned a lot. The full length living area slide had problems. The dealer replaced a harness and a few other things. The bed slide wouldn't come in and they had to drive it to the dealer with it hanging out. One of the coach batteries had a broken post and had to be replaced. Hopefully knowing all this will help fix the problem quicker.

In spite of those problems they only traded it in for a 35' because they wanted the dinette and didn't need the bunk beds. It only had about 3500 miles put on by them then the miles to drive it from Orlando to Des Moines. I am sure glad I called him and he didn't mind answering my questions.

Bonnie
Old 01-19-2016, 07:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Great that you have already got that clarified. Could be a different policy for MH's.
Both of us could swear dealership said we were covered, only the chassis is covered under transfer warranty. But, things may still work out okay for us.

Bonnie
Old 01-20-2016, 08:49 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by digbydoo View Post
Both of us could swear dealership said we were covered, only the chassis is covered under transfer warranty. But, things may still work out okay for us.

Bonnie
I can see if the dealer id'd and supposedly fixed the same problem that they may be willing to work with you on getting it fixed.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 01-20-2016, 09:43 AM   #13

Over the past 3 years of being on Forest River forum and now Jayco I have read lots of stories of problems with brand new units. I can't understand the lack of quality work by some of these companies. But, as long as they stand by their product and repair the problems, that is a plus. This unit only had about 3500 miles on it when it was traded in. The previous owners preferred having a dinette over the bunk beds so after a trip from Florida to Michigan and back they went for a longer unit.

I agree that if a slide was fixed once and is still bad, they should stand behind and help get it right. Time will tell.

Bonnie