Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-16-2018, 04:13 PM   #1

Water leak in storage box

On my new Alante 31R I seem to be getting water inside the storage box under the bunkhouse slide out. Checked the roof of the box but not wet. Inside I had about 2 in of water in about a week from rain I assume. I am assuming it was a bad seal but can’t seem to find it.

At my inspection the box had water but it rained pretty heavy and they claimed water was from rain and they had the door open.

Checked it today by pouring water all around the door when closed but could not see where it was leaking. No water inside.

Anyone else ever have this issue before?
Paul M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 06:26 AM   #2

I find the insides of several of my outside storage boxes get wet. Never found standing water but when I open the door there is always water on the top edge of the door.

I don't believe the storage areas are water tight, or even water resistant. The seals around each door are only effective when the doors are tightly latched and my doors vary a lot in the tightness of the latch.

Latch tightness varies depending on how level the coach is. On gravel I have some doors that are hard to open but after leveling the coach they become easy to open which tells me there is a lot of flex in the body/doors.

I pack stuff on the floor of the box that water cannot damage.
Old 09-18-2018, 04:56 PM   #3

Check if the top seam of the compartment to see if it is sealed. We have water getting into the front compartment on each side. No sealant so as we had water splashing in while driving in the rain
Keetters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 06:22 PM   #4

Thanks for the info. Camping this weekend so will do some additional checks to see if I can find the problem.
Paul M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 07:07 AM   #5

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
On my new Alante 31R I seem to be getting water inside the storage box under the bunkhouse slide out. Checked the roof of the box but not wet. Inside I had about 2 in of water in about a week from rain I assume. I am assuming it was a bad seal but can’t seem to find it.

At my inspection the box had water but it rained pretty heavy and they claimed water was from rain and they had the door open.

Checked it today by pouring water all around the door when closed but could not see where it was leaking. No water inside.

Anyone else ever have this issue before?
We are experiencing this, trying to found where the water is coming from?????
CPLittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 09:21 AM   #6

Door seal, or around the dumdum tape seal.
Old 08-03-2021, 11:34 AM   #7

How much water are you experiencing? Are you sure it is from rain and not condensation? water vapor can sneak past areas liquid water cannot. Would not surprise me the doors are vibrating as you drive down the road, allowing road spray to sneak in.

I like to use toilet paper to look for mystery leaks. A couple squares thoughtfully placed, sometimes secured with a piece of tape. When it gets wet, it changes texture, and when it dries you can tell it was wet. Maybe a few pieces just touching the door seal when closed. Maybe a few pieces were there is a bolt passing through or seam.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 11:42 AM   #8

If the Alante's boxes are metal, it could well be the boxes sweating when the temperature swings and its humid.

Winnebago authorized cutting some holes in my compartments and plugging said holes w/ little grommets w/ screens. Allows the boxes to breathe a bit.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote