Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-09-2019, 12:26 PM   #1

Water Leak with Large Slide IN - 2015 Precept 35UN

When our 2015 Precept 35UN is parked and the large living room slide-out is in (i.e. not extended) and it has rained, we find water on the laminate flooring behind the driver seat.

This unit has an awning cover (as part of the original Jayco build), but for the life of us, we cannot locate how this rain water is getting into the unit.

But we suspect it may have something to do with that awning cover.

We have taken this unit to a well-known RV service center recommended by Jayco; they water-tested it and could not find the issue.

We don't want to give up on this unit, but we need this water-issue fixed.

Please, please, please help with any suggestions or have discovered a solution that worked for you. Our only thought is to take it directly to Jayco in Indiana for detection and correction.
Old 05-09-2019, 01:19 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Do you know if the RV service center used the "Sealtech Leak Tester" pressurizing process?

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 06:53 AM   #3

Many people have had this same leak. Jayco paid $10,000 to an independent RV shop to fix ours (after the dealer failed to after 5 times). They literally took the entire side and front off the slide out and rebuilt it. The shop found multiple areas where water entered but the main spot was on the bottom trim piece where the water was coming in from behind the top of it. Jayco uses silicone seal rather than ProFlex RV which bonds better and is more flexible. The shop also put on a wider slide topper that extended past the sides of the slide.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 08:20 AM   #4

We had a water leak when our slide was in also. In our case the slide was not square with the RV wall. The dealer adjusted it and it hasn’t leaked since.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 08:23 PM   #5

Similar to what Vicr stated we had a water leak in our bedroom slide that occurred whether it was extended or retracted. Tried everything under the sun but couldn’t find the source. Took it back to Middlebury and as soon as we pulled in I showed the factory tech what the problem was. He immediately walked around to the outside of the slide and pointed out the voids in the sealant in the joint between the trim rail (the 3” wide piece that is installed along the outside edge of all 4 sides of the slideout) and the slideout wall. Jayco took care of it along with some other issues while I was still under warrranty. I thought the trim rail was more decorative than anything else so I overlooked that joint because I figured the water had to be coming in from behind somehow. Turned out to be an easy fix and I sure keep an eye on it now. Not saying that’s your issue but it wouldn’t hurt to inspect it very closely. You could cover the joints with tape as a test and see if that keeps the water out next time it rains. Nothing much worse than a water leak. Good luck to you.
Old 05-12-2019, 05:47 AM   #6

We had the same leak on a trailer of that trim piece doing some damage to the slide floor. I look for this on all slides and have repaired two out of three slides before I had a problem on the precept.

hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 11:23 AM   #7

Rustic Eagle: no we did not have the RV serviced at a center with the SealTech system.

Everyone else: thank you so much for all the replies. Obviously this unit is not under warranty. We do not see cracks or separation.

IS OUR ONLY OPTION to take it to Jayco Indiana...so they do the proper analysis and hopeful repair (at our cost, of course)???
Old 05-13-2019, 11:58 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillug View Post
IS OUR ONLY OPTION to take it to Jayco Indiana...so they do the proper analysis and hopeful repair (at our cost, of course)???
Call Jayco motorized service and ask. Last time we were at Jayco for warranty, they told us they only do warranty work and NO retail.
Old 05-13-2019, 12:39 PM   #9

Camping world is another service option and they don't hassle you if you bought your rig elsewhere, otherwise I've had other service centers refuse to work on our rig because "they don't let us sell Jaycos, so we don't work on Jaycos" and even another Jayco dealer didn't want to help us because we had a class A and they only sold travel trailers.
Woldum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 03:55 PM   #10

Mike Thompson: excellent response. Thank you.
I will call Jayco Motorized division (was there last year for a factory tour, but we didn't own our Precept at the time). If they won't service our RV then I will ask for another referral to a different 'preferred' Jayco service center, seeing that the first one was no help.

Woldum: We like shopping at Camping World, but am a bit leery about having our Precept serviced there. Thank you for your suggestion.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:13 PM   #11

Bottom Seam

Spend the $15 and buy a tube of caulk. Hit that bottom seam that several posters have mentioned. I had a slide leak this year and would have sworn that the caulk on that seam was good. After running out of options I reluctantly followed the suggestion of others and caulked that seam... If for no other reason to prove them wrong... Turns out they were right.

If you consider the movement of water, that seam particularly on a rig with slide toppers is really the only area that water will flow too during all levels of precipitation.

Good luck!

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, slide, water