Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-22-2020, 07:26 PM   #1

Water pressure...

Hi folks, a week on the road and trying to get decent water pressure both when hooked up at site and dry camping. Any suggestions, my wife can't get conditioner out of her hair in the shower! Have a 40 to 50 psi reducer on the site water line along with filter, take something off?? Brian
Brians first rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 07:49 PM   #2
Site Team

Depending on the brand of filter you have, it will reduce the water pressure by a percentage. We use the blue Camco filters, and if I remember, it has a flow rate of 3 1/2 gallons per minute. That, plus our regulator does slow the flow. I don't think I'd remove one for an extended time, but maybe the filter, long enough for her conditioner rinsing.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 08:30 PM   #3

The key here is that you have low pressure both dry camping and hooked up. This means you can forget about the pressure reducer and filter because they aren't used when dry camping and operating off the pump. Same with the pump which is not used when hooked up.

If all faucets and shower are slow I would look for a plugged built-in filter. My Greyhawk has a built-in filter near the water pump. I believe all water goes through it whether you are hooked up or not. Hopefully it is something simple as this.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 06:01 AM   #4

The shower head may have a water saver. Unscrew the head and remove it. Or maybe the head just needs cleaning inside.

hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 07:40 AM   #5

I agree with Jim D. Your FW pump should push water at a steady pressure. Mine does 55 psi. I have an adjustable water regulator when on city water and I have that adjusted to 55 as well. I always had a low flow condition from my shower head. I replaced it with an Oxygenics and haven't looked back since.

I did remove the filter screen from my regulator as there already is one at the city water inlet. That did help a little prior to the shower head swap.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 07:05 PM   #6

This may be a silly question...we use a filter on city water connection and there is an in line filter on the RV. Repetitive for sure, should I get rid of the inline? Especially since filling the tank goes through the portable filter first. Also, when on city water should I run the pump or just allow for their pressure? Thanks.
Old 05-28-2020, 05:59 AM   #7

You only need one filter for your RV. Best to change it 3-6 months whatever the mfg recommends.
The city water has it's own pressure so no reason to have water pump on if I'm reading your response correctly.
Also, if you have on demand water water heater you may need higher pressure. My Girard says 52 lbs. So I bought a inline pressure gauge that is adjustable. Some parks have lower pressure so you just have to live with it.

Old 05-28-2020, 03:27 PM   #8

Would love to find a pressure regulator that can increase pressure if it needs it, like a household jet pump. Thanks for your suggestion, will probably take a filter off rather than run the water through 2. How often do you resanitize your fresh water tank? And must it be flushed before using the water again? Brian
Old 05-29-2020, 06:21 AM   #9

We sanitize twice a year and right after draining anti freeze before camping. So once in late April or early May and before arriving in Florida January since I winterize in November and March.
The first few days after sanitizing I usually drink bottled water and throw out the first tray of ice cubes. The amount of bleach used for sanitizing is small so that's precautionary. Some people only drink bottled water but I've never had a problem. We also use a water filtration pitcher for drinking water.