Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-18-2020, 09:56 AM   #1

Water Pump Issue

Good Morning,
2018 Jayco Alante P31.
I had a water leak at the inlet to my fresh water pump where the sediment screen device screws into the inlet of the pump. I replaced the filter device and it did not leak until next trip and now it is leaking there again. A bigger problem is now the pump never shuts off when turned on and valves are set to dry camping. The volume is low and there is air in the water coming out of any faucet. I removed the filter device at the inlet to the pump and put my finger over the inlet to the pump to try to find the air leak, no change the pump keeps running.I decided to remove the pump which is up high and hard to get to. What type of screw attaches pump to wall. I cannot see it and nothing seems to fit......Phillips, torx..???
Trip planned in 2 weeks.......any help appreciated.
KHabie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 11:58 AM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to Foretm
I would guess its a square bit, most everything on my RV is square. I think S2 is the size, but not sure about the pump specifically.
Foretm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 12:25 PM   #3

It would be a #2 square drive but you can use your phone to have a look see. Check valve may be stuck. you can take it apart and clean it. You can get a rebuild kit on Amazon.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 02:03 PM   #4

It's going to be either a Robertson (Square) or Phillips. My water pump was secured with phillips head. I was actually surprised to see them instead of the square head.

I second the idea of putting your phone up there and taking a picture. I've done that hundreds of times for things I can't readily see, and I STILL forget the usefulness of that technique sometimes.

FWIW, if I had to guess, the water pump not shutting off, and excess air in the system are all likely related to the leak at the sediment filter? Again, just a guess...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 09:59 PM   #5

when you get it out look at the threads on the filter to pump for cracks,, threads are tapered and excess teflon tape and a tight fit can cause a crackand leak
JDooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 08:12 AM   #6

You guys are correct. It was a square drive. I finally got the pump out and found that the inlet side of the pump was cross threaded where the screen filter in threaded onto the pump, probably from the factory. I replaced the pump and the screen filter and all is right in the world once again. Thank you for the help.
Old 10-22-2020, 02:06 PM   #7

Wonderful when a plan comes together
JDooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 05:16 AM   #8

Once I got the pump out and found the cross threaded water pump outlet, I started to reinstall the pump.. I removed the wooden plate that is attached to the cabinet walls that the pump screws to. I drilled the 2 holes out in the wooden plate that secures the wooden plate to the cabinet wall to tightly hold a 1/4 20 Philips head machine screw. I drilled the cabinet wall mounting screws out as well to clearance a 1/4 20 machine screw. I mounted the pump to the wooden plate with the original square head screws. I then slid the pump attached to the wooden plate back into the hole behind the valve panel. I poked the 14 20 screws that are held tightly in the wooden plate, through the the existing mounting holes in the water cabinet. From the outside of the cabinet, I secured the pump and plate with flats, locks and nuts. Sooooo... in the future, I can easily remove the water pump and replace or service it as needed. �� The guys would engineer and build these things, never, never work on them. ��
Old 10-28-2020, 01:35 PM   #9

It's a square head, I'm not sure what size, they go by #. I just replaced my pump, I used my phone and took some pictures so I could get a better look.
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 01:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
It's a square head, I'm not sure what size, they go by #. I just replaced my pump, I used my phone and took some pictures so I could get a better look.
The typical size is #2.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote