Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-14-2018, 02:29 PM   #1

Weigh stations

I have a '14 Precept 31 UL and tow a Hyundai Accent. I have been avoiding weigh stations because I was told they are for commercial trucks only. Has anyone stopped at a weigh station to be weighed? Is there a fee for getting weighed? Are you fined if you are overweight? I'm really curious to see if I'm within the limits. Thanks
Dashersdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 04:01 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashersdad View Post
I have a '14 Precept 31 UL and tow a Hyundai Accent. I have been avoiding weigh stations because I was told they are for commercial trucks only. Has anyone stopped at a weigh station to be weighed? Is there a fee for getting weighed? Are you fined if you are overweight? I'm really curious to see if I'm within the limits. Thanks

They will weigh anything, commercial or not from my experience. I assume we are talking about the same thing - at truck stops right?

All you have to do is roll up onto the scale, push the button - wait a couple of minutes for someone to yell something out the speaker - they are going to ask you a truck number or ask you if this is a first weigh or a re-weigh. Just tell them that you are a private party - if they ask you a number, just make any number you want up - they are using it on their system to input it so any number will work - then go park somewhere. Go inside and tell them you are looking for the weigh on whatever number you gave them. Not all will ask you a number, but if they do that is what you need to do.

Now, some places will do a first weigh for $10-15 and a re-weigh from $0-5. Depends on the place. You have to go in and pay for the first weigh and then go back on the scale, make the second weigh - tell them it is a re-weigh and the number you made up for the first weigh if they ask, then go park and go in and get the re-weigh.

Since I have a travel trailer, I have to weigh 3x (truck only, trailer with WDH disconnected, WDH connected), so I have to pay for 2 weighs (the local place is free for a re-weigh here).

The worst part is the speaker they are talking through at the scale. It's usually really hard to hear them. Since I am in my Ford pickup, I have to get out and sometimes jump to hit the button. Sometimes they have a button up high and a button down low.

If you are nervous about just driving up on the scale, don't be, but you can go inside and just explain that you want to weigh your motorhome and ask them what you need to do. Hopefully the person that explains it to you will also be the person on the speaker for the scale. I would suggest only doing this when they are not busy inside. From my experience they are not the happiest explaining anything when they are busy.

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 04:42 PM   #3

I am lucky as my local truck stop has a split scale, 4 separate pads, they can weigh front/rear/left/right and total all at once. Or a truck with trailer each and combo at once. You just have to straddle the pads with your axles.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 05:03 PM   #4

I think he is asking about official scale houses( chicken coops ) where semi's must weigh along the highways.
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 12:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredLEO View Post
I think he is asking about official scale houses( chicken coops ) where semi's must weigh along the highways.
I think so too...

There are two types of scales... One is the typical "port of entry" that is near the border of each state that have many signs directing all commercial trucks to enter and be inspected. (known to many as chicken coops) If you take an RV thru them, you are still subjecting yourself to every conceivable inspection based on the state's vehicle code. Weight, Mechanical, Lighting, emissions and in most cases you are not required to take a "non commercial vehicle" thru these.

The other one.. that Nunyadamn posted about - is a typical CAT scale or other companies operate them as well. They are usually at a truck stop in most cases. These will weigh you, give you a specific axle weight and you pay a nominal fee for the first weigh and a lower fee if you need to readjust things and weigh again (at the same scale within 24 hours) Google Cat Scales and they can give you a better detail of the routine. These scales are not staffed by the state/county DOT Authorities and you are not subjecting yourself to a random inspection at these.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 04:20 AM   #6
Site Team

From my experience you are not required and encouraged NOT to stop at those weigh stations. They are already overloaded with commercial truckers.

A friend of mine pulled into one on a interstate and they told him to keep moving.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 06:10 AM   #7

Thank you for the clear explanation.
Dashersdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 06:30 AM   #8

In OK they have scales buried in the road on the interstate that weighs your unit as you roll over them at interstate speeds. The scales are usually in the outside lane with a sign that says all trucks right lane. This is relatively new here. I rolled over one early this year and a large sign lit up in red that said truck must enter weigh station. I did not, based on past knowledge that it was for commercial vehicles. Nothing happened. But it got my attention and I worried about it because they also have numerous cameras. I later called and inquired and was told it was not necessary to stop. I now will move to the inside lane to avoid the scale.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:55 AM   #9

The sign lit up because the scales are in tandem with in truck transmitters, like the toll road things you put in your windshield, which you obviously didn't have in your truck. Anytime the scales show a weight over a set amount, they look for the truck ID. Don't find a transmitter, light up the sign.
mrcoinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 11:18 AM   #10

If you are ever in Oregon the state weigh station scales are always on even when the station is closed and you can just roll on in and use them. I have one just 5 miles north of me that I use all the time and where ever I am headed there is one on my route to Interstate 5 if I need to check...quite handy

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote