Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-15-2020, 08:45 PM   #1

Wet Bedroom Floor

Here’s a curious situation. The other day my wife got up from the bed and found her socks wet and the floor wet as well. There were no leaks from the ceiling and none of the walls were wet either.
Tonight we went to make the bed and found the same area wet and a little soft.
On both occasions it was raining heavily. Don’t understand how part of the floor could be wet when the walls and the ceiling are not. The floor also feels a little soft where the wet is.
We have a 2017 Precept 35S with the rear king bed and two opposing slides. Any ideas?

Gus and Jeanette and the Hunter Dawg in
Jada's Hut (a 2017 Precept 35S) towing a
2016 Jeep Cherokee High Altitude Limited
Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 09:14 PM   #2

Any vents cracked on the roof?
Old 02-15-2020, 09:50 PM   #3
Site Team

The bathroom sink, toilet, and washer/dryer are all in close proximity to the bed, if the wet area you mention is the side toward the front of the coach. If it's the other side of the bed, there's the rear window close by.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 05:26 AM   #4

Check the "S"-trap under the bathroom sink. They are notorious for jiggling loose during travel. The rain my have just been coincidental.
Old 02-16-2020, 11:14 AM   #5

Palms, I had a similar situation when we first started using our coach. The bedroom slide on the driver's side would leak during a rain event regardless of whether the slide was in or out. I inspected the entire perimeter of the slide and could not find anything obvious.

I contacted Jayco Motorized CS and made arrangements to bring it to Middlebury for this and some other warranty issues. I did not want to have to utilize a dealer who had little experience with this. When I pulled up to the Jayco repair facility I was greeted by a tech whom I immediately explained my primary reason for being there. He walked around to the DS bedroom slide and pointed out to me where the water was getting in. The trim rails (exterior decorative molding along all 4 sides of the slideout) serve to cover the outside edges of the slideout for aesthetic reasons but also to seal the edges. There is a continuous bead of clear sealant applied to the inside seam between the molding and the slide wall on all 4 of the trim rails. Voids in this sealant were allowing water intrusion. I saved some money initially by purchasing the previous year's model but it had sat on a dealer lot for awhile. Jayco ended up inspecting the floor and walls and replaced the damaged carpeting and mattress.
You have to really look closely to inspect this but you will see the voids once you know what to look for. Jayco recommends OSI Quad for this application and it is readily available from most hardware stores or places like Menards, Lowes, HD, etc.

When water gets in this way it will run down the slide trim inside the coach and will drip to the floor alongside the bed on one or both sides. Kind of depends on how level the coach is and how hard it is raining.

You could possibly have another source for your water intrusion but it just sounds so similar to our problem. I actually spent time in our coach while it was raining to try to figure out how it was getting in. It was frustrating because I couldn't find it. I thought those trim rails were for decoration only so I never even thought to look at those seams. Now it's part of my routine to inspect for voids.

Good luck to you in finding your problem because there is almost nothing worse than water getting in. Let us know how it turns out.
Old 02-16-2020, 12:37 PM   #6

Bingo!! This has happened to many Precepts. Check out the Precept Facebook page.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 12:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
Bingo!! This has happened to many Precepts. Check out the Precept Facebook page.

Also a problem on Senecas!

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 06:58 PM   #8

Leaking Trim Rails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice1951 View Post
Palms, I had a similar situation when we first started using our coach. The bedroom slide on the driver's side would leak during a rain event regardless of whether the slide was in or out. I inspected the entire perimeter of the slide and could not find anything obvious.

I contacted Jayco Motorized CS and made arrangements to bring it to Middlebury for this and some other warranty issues. I did not want to have to utilize a dealer who had little experience with this. When I pulled up to the Jayco repair facility I was greeted by a tech whom I immediately explained my primary reason for being there. He walked around to the DS bedroom slide and pointed out to me where the water was getting in. The trim rails (exterior decorative molding along all 4 sides of the slideout) serve to cover the outside edges of the slideout for aesthetic reasons but also to seal the edges. There is a continuous bead of clear sealant applied to the inside seam between the molding and the slide wall on all 4 of the trim rails. Voids in this sealant were allowing water intrusion. I saved some money initially by purchasing the previous year's model but it had sat on a dealer lot for awhile. Jayco ended up inspecting the floor and walls and replaced the damaged carpeting and mattress.
You have to really look closely to inspect this but you will see the voids once you know what to look for. Jayco recommends OSI Quad for this application and it is readily available from most hardware stores or places like Menards, Lowes, HD, etc.

When water gets in this way it will run down the slide trim inside the coach and will drip to the floor alongside the bed on one or both sides. Kind of depends on how level the coach is and how hard it is raining.

You could possibly have another source for your water intrusion but it just sounds so similar to our problem. I actually spent time in our coach while it was raining to try to figure out how it was getting in. It was frustrating because I couldn't find it. I thought those trim rails were for decoration only so I never even thought to look at those seams. Now it's part of my routine to inspect for voids.

Good luck to you in finding your problem because there is almost nothing worse than water getting in. Let us know how it turns out.
Hi I have a 2017 Precept and I just put out my bedroom slides and found water on the floor. Everything above looked dry so I took out lower drawer in the cabinet near the wet spot and found the floor was wet. I went outside and felt the under-side of the slide and it was not only wet, but the plywood was soft and rotted but fortunately only in the front corner. There was no sign of water damage or rusty screws above the bottom of the slide. But then I noticed that the screw holding the decorative triangular piece screwed onto what I think you called the "trim rails" was rusty. And it appeared that the clear caulking between the trim rails and the slide outer wall was dried out and had a slight separation.

So I am thinking this is where the water has been seeping in probably for a long time since the plywood floor was so deteriorated. Does this sound like the same type of leak you had?

Attached are pictures of the slide floor water damage and the decorative slide rails where I think the caulking is bad.Click image for larger version

Name:	20200130_135333.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	64696

Click image for larger version

Name:	20201018_163935.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	64697
hikerjohn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 10:07 PM   #9

Unfortunately, what you have described is exactly the issue I was having. The only difference is I caught it early on before the floor became saturated so the carpet absorbed most of the water.
I don’t know how handy you are but it’s definitely repairable. Just depends on who does the work. Since you are out of warranty you can take it anywhere you choose. And maybe you could cut out that bad front corner and just piece it in without having to replace the whole floor.
The carpeting in my bedroom below the bed was musty smelling and also needed to be replaced and I would imagine yours is probably similar. It’s unfortunate something so minor could cause such major damage but that’s the nature of any kind of water leak if it’s not discovered right away. Good luck in finding a resolution.
Old 10-22-2020, 06:15 PM   #10

Water On The Floor

Quote:
Unfortunately, what you have described is exactly the issue I was having. The only difference is I caught it early on before the floor became saturated so the carpet absorbed most of the water.
I don’t know how handy you are but it’s definitely repairable. Just depends on who does the work. Since you are out of warranty you can take it anywhere you choose. And maybe you could cut out that bad front corner and just piece it in without having to replace the whole floor.
The carpeting in my bedroom below the bed was musty smelling and also needed to be replaced and I would imagine yours is probably similar. It’s unfortunate something so minor could cause such major damage but that’s the nature of any kind of water leak if it’s not discovered right away. Good luck in finding a resolution.
You are correct that you were lucky if you caught it early. I didn't and it really upsets me because I have had my Jayco Precept for four years now and I've have always followed the dealer shops recommendations on reseal the roof joints on a regular basis. But no shop as ever mentioned to me that the seams in the outer fiberglass walls had to be resealed also. So I went on for almost four years not realizing that the seems where the slide outer flanges attach to the slide walls would eventually crack and allow water to slowly seep directly into the plywood slide flooring. Now, despite the fact that my Precept looks like new, the floors in all three of my slide are damaged.

I can probably live with the damage of two of the slides assuming the resealing of the slide flanges totally stops the water from seeping in. But on one slide, it was so bad, I could actually push my hand thorough the rotted wood floor. It's going to require a total replacement of the slide floor which is complex and expensive process. Estimates I have had are from five to ten thousand dollars.

I could say I am very disappointed in Jayco but I see that other manufactures also incorporate the same design of decorative slide outer flanges which, when the caulking breaks down, will allow water seepage into the slide floor. It is definitely a poor design strategy that could so easily be improved on. But no manufacturer seems to want to and I wonder why.
Old 10-22-2020, 08:26 PM   #11

I echo your comments. Not only do other manufacturers use a similar design but no one anywhere tells you to inspect these slide seams. They tell you to inspect the roof and all the seams around the front and rear caps and anything mounted on the roof. But as you and I found out the hard way these innocent looking trim rails or decorative outer flanges or whatever anyone else wants to call them have seams that are just as important. Voids in the seam between the slide wall and trim will allow water intrusion whether the slide is in or out and if you don’t know to look it will leave you baffled.
As noted by others this isn’t always the cause but this is so preventable with just a simple inspection and you don’t even have to climb a ladder. I feel your pain and I wish I could offer up a magic solution but sometimes life just rears its ugly head and we just have to deal with it as best we can. Somehow, some way, things will work out for you.
Old 10-23-2020, 03:51 PM   #12

Thanks For Your Understanding

Quote:
I echo your comments. Not only do other manufacturers use a similar design but no one anywhere tells you to inspect these slide seams. They tell you to inspect the roof and all the seams around the front and rear caps and anything mounted on the roof. But as you and I found out the hard way these innocent looking trim rails or decorative outer flanges or whatever anyone else wants to call them have seams that are just as important. Voids in the seam between the slide wall and trim will allow water intrusion whether the slide is in or out and if you don’t know to look it will leave you baffled.
As noted by others this isn’t always the cause but this is so preventable with just a simple inspection and you don’t even have to climb a ladder. I feel your pain and I wish I could offer up a magic solution but sometimes life just rears its ugly head and we just have to deal with it as best we can. Somehow, some way, things will work out for you.
Thanks for your understanding concerning my unknowingly allowing water to seep into my slide floors. Another point I want to make is that I am not a full-timer so the RV sits in storage most of the time. The leaking occurred with the slides in. If you have your slides out a lot, I presume you also have to consider the joints at the bottoms on the slide front and back walls.