Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-06-2019, 10:24 AM   #1

What fixed your front end vibration?

I have seen a lot of post about front end vibration. Here is where we stand, had tires balanced, also had front alignment done at my own expense. Things are better but not fixed. I have seen post about adding Sumo springs or different brand of shocks. Before I spend more money I would like to know what worked for you. We have a 2017 Alante 31 V with steering stabilizer installed and CHF done. Still shakes so bad the dash looks like it's going to fly apart. This is our third class A and the only one with this problem.

KenAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 02:19 PM   #2

Have you brought it to a Ford Truck center and have them look at it? There is something wrong with the chassis set up. Other Alante owners have had chassis issues as well but for the most part Precept owners have not experienced chassis/ suspension vibrations.

Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 07:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
Have you brought it to a Ford Truck center and have them look at it? There is something wrong with the chassis set up. Other Alante owners have had chassis issues as well but for the most part Precept owners have not experienced chassis/ suspension vibrations.
I have not taken it to a ford truck center. I'll look for one near me and try it. I have seen post from other brand of RV having same issue. But anything is worth a try. Thanks for the reply.
Old 12-06-2019, 07:21 PM   #4

Was the vibration there during the test drive before purchase?
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 07:27 PM   #5

Yes and the dealer was supposed have the alignment checked. (records show it was done) On the trip home we still had vibration so I checked the balance. and then rechecked to alignment.
Old 12-06-2019, 07:46 PM   #6

Do you feel the vibration, or just see it in the dash? Mine, and several others on here had problems with dash supports not being attached. This caused substantial vibration in the dash. I took the center panel off and attached the supports like they should have been attached at the factory.
Old 12-06-2019, 11:59 PM   #7

It is possible that you have a out of round tire. To check you Jack it up just off the ground spin the tire and watch the gap between the tire and ground. If it is out of round you will see the gap change.
Old 12-07-2019, 06:35 AM   #8

As Mike said above I would fix the dash supports. That thing vibrating and making noise does not help at all. A couple of my dash front screws were sheared and the supports underneath were not supporting due to sloppy workmanship and a poor design. I had the front aligned and front tires balanced. They moved one of the front tires to the rear axle and balanced a rear tire and moved to front. It helped some. I also think over time mine got better. Next set of tires I'm not using goodyear.

hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 09:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkster View Post
As Mike said above I would fix the dash supports. That thing vibrating and making noise does not help at all. A couple of my dash front screws were sheared and the supports underneath were not supporting due to sloppy workmanship and a poor design. I had the front aligned and front tires balanced. They moved one of the front tires to the rear axle and balanced a rear tire and moved to front. It helped some. I also think over time mine got better. Next set of tires I'm not using goodyear.
I have to agree also that the dash is a poor design. Dealer has worked on it twice. I get a vibration in the steering column that moves to dash. I'm going to jack up the front end and check for out of round tires and see if that's adding to the problem. The dash has pulled loose again on our last trip so I'll look into the supports. Thanks to all of you for your input, we really like the Motorhome and we are almost out of warranty period. Goes into dealer next week to fix other issues. Most likely last warranty visit.
Old 12-12-2019, 10:37 AM   #10

Update on vibration issue. I have checked to see if tires are out of round but do not see any obvious problem. Have scheduled appointment with truck shop to see if they can find the cause of vibration. I am sure this is not the norm for all of the ford chassis on the road.
All said we really like this RV.
Thank you to all who have responded with your ideas. It is nice to have a family to turn to in times of need. Safe travels to you all.
Old 12-19-2019, 09:24 AM   #11

Problem fixed

OK just got back from truck shop and they found that one tire was 14 oz out of balance and other was 3 oz out. It seems that the shop that did my last balance was not the best choice. Went out and made a test drive and what a difference. I was able to drive one handed and be relaxed at speeds up to 70 MPH no problem. The dash is my next project.
Thank you to all that offered advice, and to those with a problem with your RV I say don't give up.
One Happy Alante owner!
Old 12-20-2019, 12:41 AM   #12

The Tire Shop that balanced my tires ended up rotating the tires three times from the rear to find two that would actually balance. Even though the machine said they were balance, driving down the road actually proved they weren't balanced at the speeds that I normally drive when on the freeway. JH
micp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 10:17 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by micp View Post
The Tire Shop that balanced my tires ended up rotating the tires three times from the rear to find two that would actually balance. Even though the machine said they were balance, driving down the road actually proved they weren't balanced at the speeds that I normally drive when on the freeway. JH
I guess that if you are still having a problem, it doesn't hurt to have your work double checked. In you case it took multiple tries. In my case I thought that I needed to try something else. So for almost a year I drove around with tires out of balance, simply because I didn't question. Lesson learned!
Old 12-20-2019, 10:26 AM   #14

I had my fronts balanced and "rounded" just a few weeks after I purchased it. They wouldn't do the rears. It helped, but didn't completely solve all vibes.

So I'm looking to get a set of Centramatics on all 4 corners: https://www.centramatic.com/balancers.rhtml

Everyone I've read who has used them swears by them.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 07:25 AM   #15

Those of us with 19.5 tires you have to wonder when you have the tires balanced, put them on the jayco, and then add the heavy wheel liners after the fact. That can't be good for balancing.

hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 02:17 PM   #16

Besides what you did, I added Sumo’s front & back; changed Bilsteins for Koni’s. Very little vibration and much better driving experience. One thing I noticed is with weight up front it is even better.

Fido & Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote