Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-07-2016, 09:01 PM   #1

What to do?

Brought the 31UL Precept into the dealer last week to replace the on demand nightmare with a tank water heater. They quoted $1200 for a 6 gallon tank heater. Saturday we get a message asking if a LP only water heater is ok? I respond NO, needs to be a LP/electric one. It never occurred to me that the standard LP/electric water heater in the Jayco travel trailers (we had 3) would not be offered for a motorhome that costs 3x's more. I understand some motorhomes are all electric, thus have an electric only water heater. But a LP only water heater?
This morning the dealer calls to inform me that the LP/electric tank heater will be $1800, and they already cut out the opening on the motorhome.
My response was "how much is the LP/electric? Camping world has one advertised for $400" his says his price is $700.
They ask me what to do, honestly I don't know what to do. What would you do?
Thanks, any insight would be appreciated.
Malu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:39 PM   #2

personally,I would take it somewhere else.
rjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 11:33 PM   #3

Order the $400 water heater from camping world, have it shipped to the dealer and pay them for LABOR only.

That's a good deal for them... They cut open your RV already!
Reese SC Weight Distrubition with sway control (12,000lb)
Jhowemca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 06:28 AM   #4

I suggested they do that, their response was its not the same quality blah blah blah. Isn't an Atwood an Atwood regardless where its purchased?
Just don't understand why this needs to be so difficult.
Though I suppose they will want me to pay for labor for the new hole for the water heater I'm not getting. That is not sitting right either.
Old 03-08-2016, 07:55 AM   #5

My first question is.... Did you authorize them to start replacing the water heater and at a given price? If so, you're kinda stuck with them. They may have already ordered the replacement tank and parts.

If not, I'd first address the issue of why they cut into your MH without authorization. That could be grounds for legal action.

Steve

Steve & Sharon
2015 Precept 31UL
Tow - 2010 Honda CR-V
gmapatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 08:53 AM   #6

It didn't take me long to trade out the tankless water either. The shop I went to wanted $600 for their Suburban (Suburban is a direct replacement for the tankless with no changes to the opening) DSI water heater. The DSI is both electric and propane. I thought $600 was a real screw job especially when Amazon has the exact same heater for less than $350. I got the song and dance that they wouldn't warranty the heater if I bought it elsewhere. Long story short, I went ahead with the install just cuz I wanted it bad enough to just get it done. The install itself was another $600 for a total of $1200.

Seems to me $1800 is a little over the top but apparently your dealer is tacking on the time necessary to tweak the opening to fit the Atwood. Since they've already started they probably have you by the short hairs. At any rate, from my perspective, you'll be glad you made the change.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:16 AM   #7
Site Team

It looks like they have you in a tight spot, but 600 bucks more for the electric option? That`s a bit much.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 02:54 PM   #8

When we first got our 31UL with the tankless heater my husband got scalded when the water shifted from warm to HOT and then cold. We had our grandkids with us and I utterly refused to let them shower in the MH. When we got back home I called up Roger Johnson at Jayco.

I told him that they were looking at possible lawsuits when some child gets burned by the water heater. They ended up giving us a "good will gesture" by replacing our on demand heater with the standard electric/gas heater.

It's the best thing that they ever did!

Shirley

2016 Jayco Precept 31UL Motorhome
2010 Toyota Yaris
Shirleyj62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 05:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirleyj62 View Post
When we first got our 31UL with the tankless heater my husband got scalded when the water shifted from warm to HOT and then cold. We had our grandkids with us and I utterly refused to let them shower in the MH. When we got back home I called up Roger Johnson at Jayco.

I told him that they were looking at possible lawsuits when some child gets burned by the water heater. They ended up giving us a "good will gesture" by replacing our on demand heater with the standard electric/gas heater.

It's the best thing that they ever did!

Shirley
I'm so glad I found this Jayco owners site. I'm finding that we are not alone in many of the issues we've had.

We too have had issues with the tankless water heater. We thought we'd love it as we have them in our home. However, it doesn't seem to work the same way in our 2016 Precept UL. The water will start warm, then HOT, then freezing cold and cycles like that throughout a shower. We called Jayco and were told to adjust the hot water temperature down and only use hot water instead of trying to use hot and cold. My husband lowered the temperature of the hot water and it did get better but in my opinion, it's not a good fix. The tankless water heater should either work properly or not.
Grnandbrwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 07:31 PM   #10

Angry

We decided to go ahead with the water heater installation. Though I had a phone call from the dealer that made me shudder. They asked me if we wanted them to test the new install to see if it leaks? Because then they would have to de-winterize it. I gather the $1800 does not include a couple of gallons of anti freeze and 15 minutes to re winterize it.(REALLY) It was 26 degrees this morning. So much for intelligence, honesty, integrity, its not at this Jayco dealer.
Old 03-26-2016, 03:42 PM   #11

I have 2016 31DS Greyhawk and it has yet to produce a constant hot water So I'm waiting for owner of dealership to get back in town to see how they plan to handle our RV cause with all the problems we have had and still has some vibration going on it is time to turn it in under the Lemon LAW
fred639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 02:22 PM   #12

Malu,

Have you looked into replacing the Girard with the Truma AquaGo system?
Supposedly it promises to deliver :
'Instant' (like ours)
'Constant' (which our could be)
'Endless'

overview:

consumer experience:
Arniesports60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 06:46 AM   #13

Hot water Temperature Fluctuation

One reason for the change in water temperature from very hot to ice cold is water flow. Most trailers have water savers or restrictors in the shower head. The on demand system can make hot water so hot and so fast that when the water doesn't flow fast enough the sensor in the water heater shuts the unit off thus the hot then cold. Take off your shower head and hose and remove all the restrictor washers so you get a good fast flow of water then lower your setting for your water temperature. After a few adjustments you will love this system. It worked for me. PS I replaced the shower head and hose with one made for a regular home shower and it even works better than before.
Djtommysr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 08:43 PM   #14

Should this have been figured out by the rv manufactures before they sold it as "standard equipment"? I'm not one to "jury rig" a water heater to make it produce a steady stream of warm water. The modern tank water heater is so well insulated it takes a whole lot less water and propane to create a steady stream of hot water.
Less water, less propane, seems the old tried and true tank heater is still a much better value than an on demand water heater that needs near perfect conditions to perform. After having a moment of scalding water followed by ice cold water does not in any circumstance make me a happy camper. The on demand FAILED to deliver the hot water needed to wash dishes or shower.
Sorry but for the price paid for a motorhome one should not have to hope for a steady stream of warm water, nor should we have to problem solve a failed system.