Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-30-2018, 05:02 PM   #1

What's the tightest wall2wall space you've backed into?!

The space I've got picked out (it's free after I yank out a palm tree!) to store the new 31UL in is going to be really narrow and I'd like to hear from others if it's going to be possible?

I'll have a cement block wall on one side, and the eaves of a house on the other side. The distance from block wall to eave overhang is 11'-0''. The width of a 31UL including mirrors is 10'-3". But since I'll be backing in I'll really only have the (body-only) width of 8'-5" to maneuver and worry about (at least until I'm almost all the way in, except for the mirrors.)

So that's 8'-5" backing into an available 11'-0" wall-to-wall space. And that's my main concern.

When I get almost backed-in, then I'll contend with those mirrors and have to carefully squeeze that 10'-3" rig-width into the 11'-0" space with 4 1/2" to spare on the left side, and plenty of space to the right (towards the front of the RV & house, the house cuts inward leaving a bit more to one side). (Remember too I'm providing measurements to the eaves - the actually house itself is 12" further away).

I've gotten very good backing the TT, and the boat. But backing this Precept up is only something I've done in a parking lot.

So given your experiences how would you feel about backing into such a confined space?
gowestwardho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 05:15 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Practice makes perfect. If you are confident in yourself and backup very slow you should be OK. It is easier to correct when backing up slow.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 02:12 AM   #3

Should be plenty, trucks have to back into tight spots at docks on a regular basis, maybe paint a line that you can keep your tires lined up on to keep you consistent each time

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 06:14 AM   #4

Make sure to have a spotter. I hope the back in to get to this spot is straight so you don't come in at an angle. Once I had to go over an old bridge with one lane shut down. Metal frame both sides. I was going to turn around and a local said 18 wheelers went thru. So I went with inches on each side.

hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 07:10 AM   #5

We have almost the exact same space to work with and have for years, and we have also owned bigger (longer and taller) motorhomes.
We call it 'threading the needle' and almost all our motorhomes had the scars to prove it!
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 07:47 AM   #6

What's the tightest wall2wall space you've backed into?!

Here is my storage spot for our trailer. I only have a 10’ drove asile width to use to back it up with too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2227.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	40226Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2225.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	40227
nighthawk87 is offline   Reply With Quote