Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-24-2019, 08:02 PM   #1

Wheel bearing failure, Precept 35US 10K miles

On the way home from Pigeon Forge, TN yesterday and started hearing noises from the right front, vibration, etc. Pulled in at Lazydays RV at the Strawberry Plains exit and the right front wheel was so hot it would burn the skin.

The shop pulled my wheel this morning and found this.

Called the Ford motorhome hotline and they would tow me but the nearest dealer who could handle the coach was 100 miles, I said no way, we are sitting at an RV service center. So Ford opens a case for this problem and sends it up the chain to warranty. According to the hotline agent someone from Ford will be in touch 24 to 48 hours. At 36 hours I've heard nothing.

I am thankful that we were aware of a problem and close to help. Can't imagine a scenario barreling down the interstate at 65mph and the wheel comes off. Can't tell if the bearing was previously lubricated, any grease melted out. The left front was inspected and appeared OK but was repacked.

Don't have access to my Ford Owners manual but I have read in multiple places where the front wheel bearings need to be service at 30 and 60k miles. I felt safe up until this point. How can one be certain that all their running gear is OK?

Oh, and Lazydays called Ford to get a replacement spindle, only three are in the U.S., one of which I bought today at $921. Obviously these are not something that turns in inventory often so there is some level of comfort there. Guess we will be making a return trip to TN in a couple of weeks to pick up our coach and bring it home.
Attached Thumbnails
Resized_20190923_162340_6979.jpg  
Old 09-24-2019, 08:19 PM   #2
Site Team

I hope they get back to you tomorrow. You're very lucky that wheel stayed put. It could have ended much worse.

Keep us up on the outcome.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 09:59 AM   #3

Update! Ford calls me this morning

received a call from Ford Motorhome hotline who apologized profusely for the interaction I had with two agents on Monday. The agent advised that supervisors will be monitoring the calls taken by the two agents.

We discussed the 100 mile tow distance and he said that should not be a problem by using a local repair facility. I passed along contact information once again and the agent said Ford would handle it from this point. No word on whether warranty will be granted yet, I'm assuming they will want more detail from the repair facility.
Old 09-25-2019, 10:34 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickM View Post
received a call from Ford Motorhome hotline who apologized profusely for the interaction I had with two agents on Monday. The agent advised that supervisors will be monitoring the calls taken by the two agents.

We discussed the 100 mile tow distance and he said that should not be a problem by using a local repair facility. I passed along contact information once again and the agent said Ford would handle it from this point. No word on whether warranty will be granted yet, I'm assuming they will want more detail from the repair facility.
That's good news. It sounds like Ford might be prepared to help you out with this. Keep us posted with the outcome.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
Old 09-25-2019, 12:07 PM   #5

The LazyDays used to be Tennessee RV. I bought my Coleman from them and drove it back to Arizona. They did a very good job setting me up for towing and explaining the trailer to me. I've been towing my sailboat all over but this was our first RV. I hope they do as good for you as they did for me. Tell "Bull" (sales) Hi for me when you go back! BTW, the Best Western across the freeway is pretty good. And Puleo's Grille was decent food too!

I've stopped many times at the Best Western off of I-40...towing my sailboat heading either to or from New England back to Arizona. I like that area...

Pic is T RV putting on my hitch a year ago last summer....
Attached Thumbnails
20180823_144404.jpg  
videoarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 03:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoarizona View Post
The LazyDays used to be Tennessee RV. I bought my Coleman from them and drove it back to Arizona. They did a very good job setting me up for towing and explaining the trailer to me. I've been towing my sailboat all over but this was our first RV. I hope they do as good for you as they did for me. Tell "Bull" (sales) Hi for me when you go back! BTW, the Best Western across the freeway is pretty good. And Puleo's Grille was decent food too!

I've stopped many times at the Best Western off of I-40...towing my sailboat heading either to or from New England back to Arizona. I like that area...

Pic is T RV putting on my hitch a year ago last summer....
That is a nice area, we've eaten at Puleo's before and had dinner at Aubrey's Monday evening. We were not towing on this trip so were locked in to hoofing it to meals. Rented an enterprise car to drive home yesterday. Another expense I need to report to Ford.
Old 09-25-2019, 03:22 PM   #7

Had a nice call from the Fleet Customer Service Manager at Ford this afternoon who advised they will be contacting Lazydays for additional details for a potential warranty repair. Keeping my fingers crossed that it comes out in my favor.
Old 09-25-2019, 03:34 PM   #8

This actually scared me enough to go look in my manual for my rig. Mine says replace or repack (if open bearings) at 60,000 and 150,000 miles. But then I'm running the E-450 chassis, not the F-53 like you have.

Nowhere in there does it mention inspecting this part.

So, it seems to me that a 60,000 mile part failing at 10,000 miles, that requires no inspection or service until 60,000 miles, should be pretty cut and dry from a warranty standpoint? Unless they can prove some kind of negligence?

Don't these Ford chassis come with a 3-year, 12,000 mile warranty right from Ford? I thought I had read that somewhere. But now that I think about it, I feel like I have also read that warranty doesn't count for RV applications?

I guess I would be afraid they might claim the front axle to be overloaded in the denial of a claim?

I hope this comes out good for you. At the least, I was able to learn something new about my rig. I never thought about the wheel bearings; I assumed they'd be sealed "lifetime" bearings...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 03:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post

Don't these Ford chassis come with a 3-year, 12,000 mile warranty right from Ford? I thought I had read that somewhere. But now that I think about it, I feel like I have also read that warranty doesn't count for RV applications?

I guess I would be afraid they might claim the front axle to be overloaded in the denial of a claim?
https://www.fleet.ford.com/resources...2018_ARLSD.pdf

RIGHT FROM FORD:

IMPORTANT WARRANTY INFORMATION**
The Ford Motorhome Chassis has a Bumper-to-Bumper limited
warranty for 3 years or 36,000 miles and a Powertrain limited warranty
for 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first.
Parts of the vehicle manufactured and covered by Ford Motor Company
are listed in the Warranty Information Booklet that comes with the
recreational vehicle. It states the RV owner’s rights and responsibilities,
and should be read carefully

5-YEARS OR 60,000 MILES ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE*
This 24-hour, seven-days-a-week Hotline is a standard feature on all
Ford Motorhome Chassis. By dialing 1-800-444-3311, Ford Motorhome
Chassis Customers also have access to:
• Flat Tire Changes (No Charge with Ford)
• Jump Start For A Dead Battery (No Charge with Ford)
• Gasoline, If Out of Fuel (No Charge with Ford)
• Vehicle Lock-Out Service (No Charge with Ford)
• Towing To The Closest Dealer (No Charge with Ford)
Old 09-25-2019, 03:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
https://www.fleet.ford.com/resources...2018_ARLSD.pdf

RIGHT FROM FORD:

IMPORTANT WARRANTY INFORMATION**
The Ford Motorhome Chassis has a Bumper-to-Bumper limited
warranty for 3 years or 36,000 miles and a Powertrain limited warranty
for 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first.
Parts of the vehicle manufactured and covered by Ford Motor Company
are listed in the Warranty Information Booklet that comes with the
recreational vehicle. It states the RV owner’s rights and responsibilities,
and should be read carefully

5-YEARS OR 60,000 MILES ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE*
This 24-hour, seven-days-a-week Hotline is a standard feature on all
Ford Motorhome Chassis. By dialing 1-800-444-3311, Ford Motorhome
Chassis Customers also have access to:
• Flat Tire Changes (No Charge with Ford)
• Jump Start For A Dead Battery (No Charge with Ford)
• Gasoline, If Out of Fuel (No Charge with Ford)
• Vehicle Lock-Out Service (No Charge with Ford)
• Towing To The Closest Dealer (No Charge with Ford)
YES! That looks VERY familiar!!

Thank you Grumpy!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 04:30 PM   #11

Based on that info I can’t hardly see how they can deny warranty but you know there is a saying about those who make the rules.
NickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 04:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickM View Post
Based on that info I can’t hardly see how they can deny warranty but you know there is a saying about those who make the rules.
The only glitch would be that it is not being done at a FORD dealer since they did offer to tow it there.
Old 09-25-2019, 05:22 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
The only glitch would be that it is not being done at a FORD dealer since they did offer to tow it there.
Even they admitted that a 100 mile tow was unreasonable.
NickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 02:11 PM   #14

I guess that shows if we did our own maintenance we would know if we did it. Mine will only go to the dealer under warranty, like it has been for a month. There are so many of us that pay everyone to do everything for us. Most of us can't or won't do a 15 minute oil change. When that drain plug falls out while driving down the road and the engine is shot, but they will give you a junkyard engine with the same mileage and a month to put it in. I have an automatic awning, if it doesn't go back in I can call someone and wait a week or disconnect the motor and jump it out to retract the awning. When it's out of warranty we should learn to do everything on our own unit in case of a breakdown or just knowing it was done right
Bill Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 07:13 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
I guess that shows if we did our own maintenance we would know if we did it.
According to Ford wheel bearing maintenance doesn't occur until 30K miles so what does one do? Check everything?

For many of us who live in condo's or apartments it's impossible to do our own maintenance so we depend on "experts" to take care of our needs. Ford gives us an owners manual with milage/time based service and I follow that manual. My investment is too great to ignore it.
Old 10-17-2019, 06:09 AM   #16

Update - Ford will warrant the repair

After a couple of weeks of emails and phone calls Ford has agreed to pay for the repairs to my motorhome. Covered items will be the spindle, bearings, seals, hub, brake caliper and pads for both right and left side. Labor will also be covered since the nearest dealer capable of this repair was over 100 miles.

Thought maybe we could pick it up this week but when Lazydays began the repair they discovered they had overlooked the hub so that had to be ordered last Friday. Hopefully our coach will be ready to pick up next week, just in time for winter storage prep.

No real opinions as to cause of failure due to the destruction of components. My bearing failure experience in mining is usually no lube, over lube or water entry. Just my humble opinion but I suspect the original bearing was never lubed and surprised that it lasted 10k miles.
Old 10-17-2019, 09:10 AM   #17

Nick, add to your bearing failure list...to tight.
Glad they are taking care of you.
Have a safe trip home. Enjoy the Fall colors!
videoarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 11:13 AM   #18
Site Team

Although rare, there may have been a hidden flaw in one of the rollers that finally showed up, and took out the bearing.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
Old 10-18-2019, 02:46 PM   #19

My previous employer manufactured mounted ball and roller bearings. Interesting to tour the manufacturing plants. For larger sizes we purchased brands like SKF, Timken, etc. and tried to avoid bearings manufactured in China due to lack of quality control.

I don't recall ever seeing a failure from a manufacturing defect in the bearing but there were plenty of failures from contamination, no grease, over grease and improper installation.

At any rate the repair is complete and Lazydays are waiting on a check from Ford to release my coach, probably be 7 to 10 days before we can pick it up.
Old 10-25-2019, 04:58 AM   #20

Shout out to Lazydays RV

Lazydays called on 10/21 and advised they would release our coach to us without waiting on a check from Ford so we picked it up on 10/23, 30 days after the right front wheel bearing failed.

Lazydays was great to work with and keep me updated throughout the process. Drove the coach home yesterday and all appears to be well.

Ford was also great to work with with frequent updates as the warranty claim progressed through the system.