Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-25-2018, 08:23 PM   #1

Where to install progressive 50a ems box?

Would love some feedback on where people have installed their EMS Power Management box? Under the bed or inside the outdoor electrical bay? And why one over the other?

And second question...did you install it in-line before or after the Transfer Box?
gowestwardho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 09:06 PM   #2

I just got don’t putting one in our Seneca. I installed in the bay with the cord reel and disconnected the line running to the reel and ran it into the EMS and then used a 2’ Piece of 6/3 and ran it from the EMS back up to the cord reel. I wouldn’t want it after the transfer switch as you need to protect it too. Also the EMS does hum a little bit so I wouldn’t want it under my bed.
Attached Thumbnails
5DDF3571-2EF2-4E9F-8E3C-B859D616FEAE.jpg   90A0835A-054C-458F-972A-0E8D4E70DEBE.jpg   DC3A3C79-9276-4D0E-843E-401C5D0D93FB.jpg   5344236C-6341-435F-951F-8E6B2C3EE3A4.jpg  

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 07:52 AM   #3

Mine was behind the basement storage wall in our 5th wheeler, until it got fried and had to be replaced. Now I use the portable 50 amp plugged into the campground supply. I have heard horror stories of them catching on fire and I did not want it back behind the storage wall with no quick access.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 09:33 AM   #4
Site Team

Another consideration is the remote display. I would want that and it would give more options for mounting the actual unit.

I went with a portable and have never had a concern for it walking away. It's locked to the pedestal at all times.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 10:16 AM   #5

I installed mine under the bed with the remote display on the side of the bed pedestal. I can see this display from my living area.

I installed it after the transfer switch so it will shut down if there's generator or shore power problems.

Installed under bed for convenience of installation and also my autoformer is installed in the cord storage area.
Old 11-30-2018, 12:08 AM   #6

Just to close the loop here...I went with the electrical bay installation

Appreciate all the input. In the end I went with installing the EMS in the power bay for a couple of reasons.

1) As I can already discern the hum from under the bed w/o the EMS (wife can't, but I pick up all the hums in our house from the refrigerator to dimmer switches to errant power supplies). I had an electrician friend advise that the additional block inside the EMS was going to add to the hum.

2) There's already a rats nest under the bed and no need to add more.

3) By locating it in the power bay I can easily view the read-out when I plug in since I did not get the remote device.

4) i did not feel then need to install "after the generator", because I bought this for protection from RV parks, not the onboard gen which I'm not so concerned with.

So I got it successfully installed on the side of the power bay, screwed through the plastic bay and secured into a board I held up on the opposite side. Then I strapped the 50a cord down with a tension relief ring and it all formed a nice neat, clean install. (Also finally got the Roadmaster Reflex installed so all-in-all a very productive Thanksgiving Day weekend!)
gowestwardho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 08:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppers4 View Post
I installed mine under the bed with the remote display on the side of the bed pedestal. I can see this display from my living area.

I installed it after the transfer switch so it will shut down if there's generator or shore power problems.

Installed under bed for convenience of installation and also my autoformer is installed in the cord storage area.
We installed under the bed after transfer switch also, I installed the remote display in power cable box outside. I know power status by the time I am done with water and sewer also no new holes inside.
KenAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 11:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I went with a portable and have never had a concern for it walking away. It's locked to the pedestal at all times.
X-2 and never even locked.. 20+ years..
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 06:51 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
X-2 and never even locked.. 20+ years..
Me too Grumpy. I got enough fans and humming under the bed. If that device gets fried I would just as soon it be outside not in the coach.
hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 01:38 PM   #10

I put mine under the bed. They don't make any noise and when they "blow" nothing bad happens, no smoke etc. I have seen a 480v 200a TVSS unit get hit with a dead short and all it did was make a pop. Any UL approved EMS will be completely safe to install in a confined space in occupied space.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 02:22 PM   #11

I installed mine behind my converter.
mia389 is offline   Reply With Quote