Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-14-2018, 08:31 AM   #21

Yes, the Greyhawk has a ow rating of 7500 lbs. Weight of Tahoe does concern me.
Texas Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 01:10 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Yankee View Post
Yes, the Greyhawk has a ow rating of 7500 lbs. Weight of Tahoe does concern me.
I was going to keep my pickup (2015 Ram 2500 Crew, short bed 4x4, 6.4L Hemi) to tow behind the motor home. It technically would have been within limits with a curb weight just under 7K, but I just don't know if it would've been a good idea. Plus DW never liked that truck anyway, so we traded it in for a Grand Cherokee.

So, yeah, you should be able to tow your Tahoe, but you're certainly not going to win any races, and it'll probably be pretty hard on the equipment. I would say if it were me, I wouldn't tow the Tahoe all the time. Maybe every now and again if the destination, journey and crew warranted it. If you're headed on a multi-day journey through the mountains, maybe not, as pulling that rig up a bunch of long 7% grades will be pretty tough on the motor home.

Of course, then you have TWO ridiculously expensive tow setups to deal with if you set up both vehicles. I will eventually be set up so I can tow either the Grand Cherokee OR my 1994 YJ, but the setup for my YJ is SUPER cheap, and I'll be getting a braking system that I can move from one vehicle to another. The YJ is SUPER light, but the Grand Cherokee is north of 4700 lbs IIRC, so obviously for towing purposes the YJ is nicer.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 03:05 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Not necessarily. New Greyhawks (2016 & up I believe) have 7500 lb tow rating, and the GCWR supports that. Not that I would tow a Tahoe with mine (I'm nervous about towing my Grand Cherokee), but it is technically within limits.
You are right, older Greyhawks were 5K towing.
in the wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 04:59 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farris7 View Post
I tow a Kia Soul- no brakes and it does fine in all conditions.
I would not be willing to risk someone's life to save money nor would I risk everything my wife and I have and will work for. Do it right or don't do it.
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 09:16 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredLEO View Post
I would not be willing to risk someone's life to save money nor would I risk everything my wife and I have and will work for. Do it right or don't do it.
X2...and thank you for serving and helping keep us safe!
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 12:22 PM   #26

We tow a 2016 Ford Focus behind our '16 Alante 26, using a Roadmaster Offroad tow bar. Everything works great, and we hardly know it's there. We lose about 1 mpg while towing.
Michael Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 12:46 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Francois View Post
We tow a 2016 Ford Focus behind our '16 Alante 26, using a Roadmaster Offroad tow bar. Everything works great, and we hardly know it's there. We lose about 1 mpg while towing.
+1 on the 1 MPG loss when towing my 2006 CR-V with our '16 26AY, pulls real easy.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 08:25 AM   #28

Send a message via Skype™ to viking42
Which would you tow

I tow a Kia Soul stick shift and love it. I’m 6’4” and have plenty of room. The warranty is great, I get 32mph and I paid $15,500. The only drawback is it could use a little more power. Also plenty of room in the backseat and storage. No spare included so demand a full size spare which fits underneath.
viking42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 12:06 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by viking42 View Post
I tow a Kia Soul stick shift and love it. I’m 6’4” and have plenty of room. The warranty is great, I get 32mph and I paid $15,500. The only drawback is it could use a little more power. Also plenty of room in the backseat and storage. No spare included so demand a full size spare which fits underneath.

I just took the KIA survey. What they need to do is put the 2 liter in the base stick model. The 1.6 does ok with just one person, but when I added my wife and daughter, it really slows it down, but it gets the job done.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 08:31 PM   #30

Tow a 2016 2 door Jeep Wrangler, "rag top".
VERY good tow vehicle. Not so good every day vehicle.
Roadmaster Falcon Tow bar
Henderson rear trac bar
Safe-T Plus
FlaBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 12:34 PM   #31

Is it a automatic or manual trans?
jakisslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 01:19 PM   #32

Rethinking my decision to tow our Wrangler Unlimited

As my 2007 Wrangler Unlimited is having nuisance problems I’m in a quandary as to fix every little problem that comes up or trade it to another brand of toad.
I say another brand as DW is not enamored with the Jeep.

Been looking for 2013/14 CRV’s and not many are available with lower mileage. Conversion prices are over $500 in parts alone and it is not as simple a conversion as the Jeep. Wiring I can handle but the base late requires a lot of cutting parts off the front end.

Buick Envision is a little pricey.

Not looked at Equinox or Terrain yet but would like opinions.

Does the KIA need to be stick shift?

Would prefer a 4 door suv type vehicle like the crv and like the original poster your experienced opinion is welcome.

My apologies to the OP for hijacking your thread but didn’t see the need to start a new one since there are some good opinions already presented.
Old 10-07-2018, 09:57 PM   #33

No apologies necessary LOL. (I'm the orig poster) I really debated setting up to tow my "12 Grand Cherokee beast, but am glad I did. Despite its 110K miles it's still going strong. But then again after I successfully sued FCA I got an entire new drivetrain from engine-to-wheels at 85K so maybe that's why. Anyway to respond to your post I often wonder why I don't see more people towing Subaru's as I'm always so impressed by their reliability, ruggedness, off-road suitability, and better (than Jeep) reputation. Maybe their a PITA to baseplate too, I don't know. But I'm planning to replace this GC with a Wrangler so your inquiry (and any other responses) interests me as well.
gowestwardho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 06:42 AM   #34

Hello Gowestwardho,

I agree, Subaru has a nice looking vehicle but I can't recall when I have seen one as a toad.

We were hung in traffic yesterday on I75 in Florence, KY and I counted over a dozen CR-V's in a 2 mile stretch. Told DW that it was a sign.....

Parked my Wrangler in the garage while we were out of town for 3 days and now the whole house smells like gasoline. It's a 2007 Unlimited and has been doing that since I traded for it in August. My original Wrangler JK had 130K miles and did not have that problem.

I like the Cherokee's but didn't want to deal with the extra weight. The V10 in my Precept needs another couple hundred foot pounds of torque. After having a 6.7 diesel in an F350 and F450 the V10 seems pretty wimpy.
Old 10-08-2018, 07:43 AM   #35

I am towing a 2012 Equinox with my Class C. I do not even know the car is behind me. Using Blue Ox equipment. Very happy!
Old 10-08-2018, 12:15 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Yankee View Post
I am towing a 2012 Equinox with my Class C. I do not even know the car is behind me. Using Blue Ox equipment. Very happy!
What kind of preparation does the Equinox need? Are the Equinox and Terrain on the same platform?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-08-2018, 01:05 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickM View Post
Are the Equinox and Terrain on the same platform?

Thanks in advance.
Yes, Envision too
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 05:03 PM   #38

Bob S and Camper Bob, Greyhawk capacity is 7500 lbs, but I decided to hook up the Equinox last week. Towed this weekend, and did not even notice the difference . Thanks for your imput!
Old 10-08-2018, 07:03 PM   #39

I know both the Equinox and Terrain were built on the same platform, and they use the same base plate. There is a good YouTube video on the installation. There is some cutting of the frame involved. The fed and awd Terrain can be towed, unless the vehicle has Adaptive Cruise Control. My Equinox required a fuze bypass switch for the transmission. I believe this is a requirement of the Tsrrsin also, unless of course you want to pull the fuse when you are towing. Go on Blue Ox site, and enter a vehicle. They will tell you exactly what you need. E-trailer.com will do this also.
Old 10-10-2018, 01:13 PM   #40

Final - Made the decision

OK folks, I'm done searching. Swapped the 2007 Wrangler Unlimited yesterday for a 2014 Honda CRV with only 24K miles.

Now comes the hard part, installing the Blue Ox base plate, wiring and a Curt trailer hitch on the rear.

I have watched the Blue Ox install video and this one is a lot more complex than the Wrangler. Any readers here done a self install?

The tail lights wiring isn't difficult except for not being able to get under the CRV as easy as the Wrangler.

The Curt trailer hitch is a fairly easy install and I was quoted $60 today by a shop to install it, but he wanted $400 to install the Blue Ox. Trailer light wiring seems fairly simple but time consuming to remove the panels in the cargo area.

Appreciate any tips CRV users can pass along. Thanks in advance.