Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-21-2018, 03:25 PM   #1

Which would you tow? Would really like some opinions....!

So here's the dilemma I could use your input on; Got a new 31UL and have to decide what to tow. Had no freakin' clue how expensive these tow systems add up to! And to make matters worse, both our vehicles are 2012 and although we have no plans to upgrade the cars for the foreseeable future - it'll happen sooner or later.

So we have a 2012 Grand Cherokee Overland with 102,000 miles (and with the "double-secret key" free-wheeling hubs release for easy, low-friction, flat towing). And a 2012 Fiat 500 Pop Cabriolet with 37,000 miles and 5-speed for also easy flat towing, albeit at probably half the weight! (Jeep=4,750 lbs, and Fiat=2,400 lbs).

I just hate the idea of investing $1,100 in either vehicles Base Plate + Install Labor, all of which is a throw-away when we upgrade down the road. But that is what it is.

However with the Fiat I wouldn't need to (right now anyway) invest the additional $1,500 for a Delta Force braking system since it's so light. So I put off that expense for a bit until maybe we purchase a Wrangler tow vehicle later on.

SO I KEEP GOING BACK-N-FORTH ON WHICH TO TOW. Clearly I'd love to have the awesome GC Overland as it's inscrutable, comfortable, a beast, and can carry our bikes no problem - BUT FOR A PRECEPT 31UL IN THE MOUNTAINS IT'S GOING TO A PAINFUL XTRA<5,000 LBS CLIMB! On the other hand the Fiat is cheap to tow, does the job, saves some money today anyway, and with the top down riving through Yosemite-and-the-like, it's a blast (but again no bike's :-(

ANY CONSENSUS OF OPINION? Which way would you personally go? Anyone with actual experience? (as in, how "bad" is it going to be towing the GC Overland all through the Rockies?) (And then of course there's always the difference in gas mileage between the too!)

Thanks all!
gowestwardho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 03:55 PM   #2

Correction!; Guess we could take the bikes with the Fiat!

So if it makes any difference I guess we just figured out that we could actually take the bikes off the rack on the Precept and toss them in the back of the towed Fiat if we use that, and get the short distance to where we want to bike (should it be too far to simply bike there in the first place that is). So...still looking for opinions on which vehicle you would set up to tow given the above circumstances.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3078.jpg  
Old 06-21-2018, 05:43 PM   #3
Site Team

My parents had a motorhome for many years before health stopped their traveling. They always pulled Jeeps with them. They were always taking day trips from where they were camping and enjoyed the additional capabilities that the 4x4 offered them.

It really comes down to what you want that vehicle to do. If you prefer efficiency, bring the Fiat. If you want a more all around capable vehicle with more interior room, choose the GC.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 04:42 AM   #4

IMHO I think you still need an auxiliary braking system for the Fiat. It may be lighter than the Jeep but it’s no different than towing a 2400 lb trailer behind your coach. Without a aux brake system you are relying totally on your MH brakes. Also, it may be a legal requirement. If you’re wanting to save money for a few years why not trailer the Fiat? You would have brakes on the trailer and plenty of room for your bikes or anything else you wanted to bring along. Just a thought. Good luck in your decision and happy camping.
Old 06-23-2018, 10:08 PM   #5

I would go with the Fiat, lighter weight, unless you really need 4x4.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 10:45 AM   #6
RWK

We love our Jeep Unlimited Rubicon, but its heavy and if you don't need 4x4 than go lighter. I know there is a lot of chatter on what is legal or not legal while towing a vehicle behind your coach. The coach needs to be able to safely stop both vehicles. I personaly believe a good braking system with a break away cable is a must in our litigious society.
Here is a link to the CA vehicle code.
Law section.
RWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 11:28 AM   #7

I have a 2002 Z28 Camaro that I wanted to haul with my Motor home. I could not tow this car. I bought a car hauling trailer for it and I loved it. I could use the trailer for other hauling needs and I could haul my pickup for hunting as well. It came with brakes and not much more expensive than a brake and tow bar system. No ware and tear on the vehicle.
Figure8Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 06:02 AM   #8

I use a Grand Cherokee as a toad. Works fine but it's weight is noticeable over the Wrangler I towed last year. Lighter is better unless you need 4wd. Breakdown bikes with hinges in the middle are available or put a bike carrier on the Fiat with a small receiver.

hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 06:09 PM   #9

We just bought a 2017 Buick Envison AWD

It is under 4000 lbs, and can't really feel it behind the Precept 31UL
You just put it in Neutral, flick the fuse shut off switch, and away you go!
We use the blue ox patriot II for brake system.
Really happy with the Buick.
We had a 2014 Honda CRV, and it was a lot more work to get it ready for towing.
newgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 03:23 PM   #10

We tow a CR-V @ 3400lbs, that being said go with the Fiat if you don't need 4x4, but as a general rule almost all states require an aux braking system if the towed vehicle is 1500lbs or more. Not saying you would be stopped, but in case of an accident of any kind it would come up. We take our bikes on a hitch carrier on the CR-V, I am sure you could get a lightweight receiver added to the Fiat for the bikes. Those Jeeps are heavy!
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 12:43 PM   #11

IMO you need toad brakes on what ever you decide to tow. No need to not have extra braking power if ever needed.

We tow a small 2 door wrangler, surprising it weighs right at 4,100 lbs, we have weigh it several times on cat scales, always 4,060 to 4,080

We never knew it was behind our Jayco coach, didn't seem to make much difference on 6% grades here in the Southeast. Never towed out west so I can't tell you on those long steeper grades.

IMO you can't beat taking a 4 wheel drive toad, but I also don't like maxing out the tow weight.

Steve
Old 07-29-2018, 03:48 PM   #12

Or, take your budgeted $1100 for base plate and conversion parts, add a few hundred more and buy a used dolly with brakes. I’ve seen them on Craigslist for $1500 up to $3000. That way you can tow either vehicle, trade either one and still be able to tow your new vehicle.

Yeah, I know, Dolly’s come with their own set of problems but at least you can keep your existing cars for a while and not lose the $1100 conversion money.
Old 08-01-2018, 12:49 PM   #13

I tow a Kia Soul- no brakes and it does fine in all conditions.
Farris7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 12:55 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farris7 View Post
That's all well and good, but the liability in case of an accident of any kind, especially one with injury's, will be epic. Almost ALL states require aux braking, and your insurance will see the lack of it as a great reason not to pay any claims. As a retired LEO one of the first things I checked in the case of a towed vehicle accident was the trailer (or toad) braking system. Good luck!
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 07:15 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farris7 View Post
Yeah, what he said. Good luck, hope you are never involved in an accident.
Old 08-11-2018, 07:09 PM   #16

To close the loop.......

Last minute before leaving for 3 week mountain trip decided to opt for the Grand Cherokee over the Fiat. Glad I did as all went well. This new Ford 6 sp trans with the semi-intelligent downshifting was awesome. Sure it was 35 mph up the Rockies, but who cares as there's so much to look at and enjoy. Just a little trepidation at first, only because a buddy and I did a self-install of the tow system and brake system - but all went perfect over just<2,000 miles. (And now we know how to install it when he buys his coach next year and I return the favor!)

Thanks for all the suggestions BTW.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:18 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickM View Post
Yeah, what he said. Good luck, hope you are never involved in an accident.
I tow a 2018 Kia Soul as well. I installed the Roadmaster base plate and electrical lighting system myself. I also added a RVI 3 brake system. I did all the work over a couple weeks. You know the old saying "I might be slow but I do poor work" I pulled the Soul for the first time on a trip last week. I can tell it's there, but not too bad. The automatic downshifting with tow haul takes a lot of work off the brake system, but when you need to stop that last 50 feet you can feel and see the RVI 3 kick in real nice. I have high praise for the RVI. Compact with wifi connection to tablet cockpit shows you the amount of braking. You can also add Tire pressure monitoring that reads out on the tablet and I'm going to add that too. The guy at the RV store tried to sell me a used Patriot brake system, but this RVI make that obsolete. It's really nice to finally have a toad. We did without it last year and it was a pain.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 10:36 AM   #18

I also have options on what I have to tow, Equinox (3800 lbs. or Tahoe (5400 Lbs.) Would love the room of the Tahoe, but a big weight difference. ANYONE TOWING WITH A TOW DOLLY?
Texas Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 07:42 AM   #19

Texas, if you have a Greyhawk, you would be way over with the Tahoe. I pull an Equinox that weighs 4020 lbs with the base plate installed. Love it.
2015 Equinox, Blue Ox Avanta LX
Bobs A Class is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 08:11 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobs A Class View Post
Texas, if you have a Greyhawk, you would be way over with the Tahoe. I pull an Equinox that weighs 4020 lbs with the base plate installed. Love it.
Not necessarily. New Greyhawks (2016 & up I believe) have 7500 lb tow rating, and the GCWR supports that. Not that I would tow a Tahoe with mine (I'm nervous about towing my Grand Cherokee), but it is technically within limits.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote