Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-18-2018, 09:56 AM   #1

Who installed/posted those high LED brake/tail lights?

Who once installed/posted those LED brake/tail lights along rear Precept window? Someone once posted pics of two LED strip lights they ran on each side of the rear window, up high so they could be seen behind the toad and mounted bikes. But I can't find the post. Anyone know if it was here or on the Jayco Facebook page?
gowestwardho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 11:13 AM   #2

Are you referring to the ones in this thread?

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...s-43104-2.html

I've been looking into some too
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 11:37 AM   #3

No, that wasn't the one (although those look nice). The picture I recall is of a Jayco Precept MH and the owner ran a strip of LED's alongside each side of the rear window so that it was easier to run the wiring without cutting into the rear cap (unless that was my idea). Mainly I'm trying to figure out how to get the taillight wiring up through the rear cap wall and I thought his post explained that. The picture I'm remembering showed how things looked to the following vehicle when this guy had his toad loaded up with bicycles and such.
Old 12-18-2018, 12:22 PM   #4

Just be careful to not install something that is not legal in regards to DOT REAR LIGHTS. Some of these laws vary across the states...

I know I had installed back-up lights that mounted under the rear frame and they would not pass my DOT SAFETY INSPECTION until I physically removed them... After talking with the Inspection people I was allowed to mount my rear lights on the rear side of the my trailer with no issues...

Just saying there may be DOT SAFETY rules that might affect what you are wanting to do... Best to check-in with the proper STATE INSPECTION folks before dumping a bunch of money into the project...

Also DOT requires the light lens covered to be DOT APPROVED as well. You can find the DOT numbers stamped into the proper lens to be used...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 08:04 AM   #5

Is this the one you were referring to:
Attached Thumbnails
B67D6A46-6DEF-4C43-B432-46005BD4739C.jpg   FAB09BEE-9957-4F5C-A57D-F725EA85A65F.jpg  
klspahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 08:42 AM   #6

The lights were from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Partsam-Tailgate-Reverse-Signal-Universal/dp/B00KMR3J7M
Like like these with the reverse lights, it helps when backing into a spot at night. I have no complaint with the led strips, they seem well made and you can’t complain about the cost!

I removed the plastic insert from the corner molding. Next I removed the round head screws up to the height of the lights I was adding and used a reamer in a drill so that I could install counter sunk screws that would be flush with the surface so the light strip would have a nice flat surface to adhere to. I did one screw at a time but the corner mounding has adhesive caulk under it and the large structural screws are already counter sunk and these don’t have to be modified.

I cleaned the metal surface with iso alcohol and then applied the led strip using the adhesive on the back of the strip. The wiring leaving the bottom has a bulge in it (a fuse maybe?) so it took a little effort to cover it with the plastic insert, but it can be done. You could start your lights at the bottom and then you wouldn’t need to cover any wires. All the circuits you need are right under the back of the motor home. I connected to the tail light wiring on each side instead of the tow wiring. I used the flat four connectors so if I have to change one of the strips it would be a plug and play change.
Attached Thumbnails
16097868-E84E-4D7E-9DB2-FAF0724B4F77.jpg  
klspahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 11:20 PM   #7

Thanks for all the great info. I can't say for sure if this was the one I recall but your Amazon & install advice is great. Thanks much.
Old 12-23-2018, 06:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by klspahr View Post
Is this the one you were referring to:

I was just about to do this to my trailer. I even have the same LED strips in my basket

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote