Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-09-2020, 09:34 AM   #41

I own the same jayco red hawk and been tossing it around for a toad. I own an electric bike and was thinking using UBER or LYFT if need be. I go camping to camp. Sometimes getting to the special area in a state park are far and taking my electric would be risking it being stolen. I really dont want the hassles of a dolly or buying another car with standard transmission, its just me, so what about share riding with UBER?
arobinson6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 09:39 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by arobinson6 View Post
I own the same jayco red hawk and been tossing it around for a toad. I own an electric bike and was thinking using UBER or LYFT if need be. I go camping to camp. Sometimes getting to the special area in a state park are far and taking my electric would be risking it being stolen. I really dont want the hassles of a dolly or buying another car with standard transmission, its just me, so what about share riding with UBER?
One observation. You are concerned about your electric bike being stolen in a state park but jumping into an unknown vehicle driven by an unknown person is not an issue? I don't understand the draw to Uber or Lyft these days. We were taught to NOT get into a random vehicle.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 09:43 AM   #43

We've had good luck with Uber over the last year...Obviously nothing since end of February. We have also on occasion (ie early February 2020 St. Augustine Fl)) chosen to stay in an urban park and buy a shuttle pass with hop on/off . That worked quite well too. I've towed trailers and cars since 1976 and I must admit that it is a more relaxing drive without towing but that may be due to advancing age. In the same vein I used to prefer night driving but now avoid it when possible (and it is usually possible as we have been retired for almost 20 years).
Groveite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 10:13 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayoutalker View Post
One observation. You are concerned about your electric bike being stolen in a state park but jumping into an unknown vehicle driven by an unknown person is not an issue? I don't understand the draw to Uber or Lyft these days. We were taught to NOT get into a random vehicle.
They are increasing safety issues all the time to protect you
arobinson6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 10:17 AM   #45

We use enterprize rental with great success. They pick you up and take you back. If enterprize is not avail just take the redhawk. The 22j is small enough to go anywhere. Have fun
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 10:33 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by arobinson6 View Post
They are increasing safety issues all the time to protect you
When drivers are required to be commercially licensed, bonded and insured and vehicles undergo routine safety inspections I might consider using them. But wait, we already have that, they are called Taxis and are operated by legitimate businesses.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Old 07-09-2020, 10:41 AM   #47

Do uber and Lyft even go to state park campgrounds? I guess it would depend on how far inside a city they are..??? There are many state parks here in Nevada that are a wee bit too remote for those services, though a couple...maybe.
I like the bike idea!! Sure you cant go all that far, but certainly more exploring can get done with that than on foot. Fun!!
Silvernelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 11:05 AM   #48

I have a Jeep Liberty we flat towed when we had our Class C. No tow dollie to worry about. Couldn't imagine going anywhere without it and being stuck in a campground or having to depend on anyone for a ride, namely rental cars. We try and be as independent and self sufficient as possible.
Andersen Ultimate w/Andersen Bed Shaft
SeventyGTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 11:06 AM   #49
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
When drivers are required to be commercially licensed, bonded and insured and vehicles undergo routine safety inspections I might consider using them. But wait, we already have that, they are called Taxis and are operated by legitimate businesses.
In reality, life is all about risks. Do you ever worry about a texting teenager, coming at you from the other direction when going down the road, might just ruin your day... permanently?

Approximately 40,000 people die every year in car wrecks, and hundreds of thousands are permanently injured/disabled. Do you think about that every time you start your engine?
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 12:04 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
In reality, life is all about risks. Do you ever worry about a texting teenager, coming at you from the other direction when going down the road, might just ruin your day... permanently?

Approximately 40,000 people die every year in car wrecks, and hundreds of thousands are permanently injured/disabled. Do you think about that every time you start your engine?
Some risks are inevitable others are totally avoidable. Do you go out trying to get in the path of that texting driver or do you try to avoid them?

Jayflight 34RSBS
Old 07-09-2020, 12:21 PM   #51
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Some risks are inevitable others are totally avoidable. Do you go out trying to get in the path of that texting driver or do you try to avoid them?
Well, I would be more concerned about the texting teenager, as I have no idea if the next car approaching me is one...

I have no concerned about being raped and murdered by a Uber driver, since they've pass a background check, and are tracked during their complete journey... they are FAR from being an "unknown" car or driver.

But, I don't fear much, anyway...
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 01:20 PM   #52

Great question, we have a 28 foot class C so we can take it most places that you can take a car, and we do. But also see the other side for some folks.
Bucket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 08:43 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
Well, I would be more concerned about the texting teenager, as I have no idea if the next car approaching me is one...
or a texting adult... it's not just the teenagers

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 11:22 AM   #54

Another thread that's gone completely into the weeds. I thought this was about to Toad or not to Toad?
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 09:34 AM   #55

Yup, in the weeds it went.
I was actually trying to follow along with this particular thread as the toad idea is something we are now contemplating. We bought our 2020 37TS a month ago and have logged some 4,500 miles already. But the destinations were all familiar and arranged (family, friends, etc). Now we are thinking of heading to the unknown areas which will require a bit more planning and flexibility, hence the toad prospect. We currently own a Grand Cherokee Trailhawk, not sure how I feel about modifying the front grill for this? Or do we get yet another vehicle? Anyway - who sells and installs these set ups for toads? We are in San Antonio. I see it is anywhere from $2500 to $4500 for the set up install (according to this post), but who? Where??

2020 Jayco Seneca 37TS
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
2017 RAM Laramie Power Wagon 6.4
Rose of Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 09:43 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose of Texas View Post
I was actually trying to follow along with this particular thread as the toad idea is something we are now contemplating. We bought our 2020 37TS a month ago and have logged some 4,500 miles already. But the destinations were all familiar and arranged (family, friends, etc). Now we are thinking of heading to the unknown areas which will require a bit more planning and flexibility, hence the toad prospect. We currently own a Grand Cherokee Trailhawk, not sure how I feel about modifying the front grill for this? Or do we get yet another vehicle? Anyway - who sells and installs these set ups for toads? We are in San Antonio. I see it is anywhere from $2500 to $4500 for the set up install (according to this post), but who? Where??
Go to either Blue Ox, (which I highly recommend), or Road Master‘s website do a dealer search. You’ll find somebody in your area and ask around. I don’t recommend having an RV dealership install it. They’ll simply just rob you.

I’m in South Florida I had a very well trusted and experienced, private RV shop install it. They Let me buy everything on my own and I saved a lot of money.

Bought everything but the breaking system at https://www.blueoxtowbars.com/

Got my patriot 3 braking system off an authorized reseller on EBay.
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 09:44 AM   #57
Site Team

Specialty hitch shops fo one. Call a Motorhome dealer for a reference.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 09:46 AM   #58
CAG

Quote:
In this area it is the local tow shops that do/sell most of the equipment and do installs. You might check with your local RV dealer and see who they use or try Yelp. It really depends upon which unit/setup you use as to how much cutting and changing will be necessary to the front of the vehicle. With my setup you see nothing on the front, unless you get down on your knees and look, that indicated a tow package. I preferred it that way and did that part of the install myself. Because the 2019-2020 Wranglers went to a rather complicated electrical system I had the brake control and lights done at my favorite vehicle repair shop. The installer is a Jeep owner so I knew he would do it well and do it right.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 10:59 AM   #59

Quote:
Around the San Antonio area, you may want to consider looking at the 4x4 and truck outfitters. There are MANY. It was a different job, but I had my bedliner and tonno cover installed by a shop in New Braunfels called Top Notch Truck & Trailer. They did good work, and did it pretty quick. I was happy with it. But I don't know if they do tow gear installs; just a thought on another option for an installer that might be a bit more reasonably priced than an RV dealer.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 02:35 PM   #60

I purchased our tow setup through etrailer.com
315Precept is offline   Reply With Quote