Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-02-2020, 12:04 PM   #1

Why have a Toad

Had a TT for two years, recently upgraded to a Precept 31UL Class A. Looking for reasons why others got a Toad. I understand if I'm making long duration trips it's good to have something to sight see and run to the store, but so far I'm mostly 4-5 day duration trips so I'm looking for reasons why I need to spend the $$ to equip a vehicle for towing. Thanks
TGoldsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 12:07 PM   #2
CAG

It depends upon what you like to do. We do a lot, and I mean a lot of trail exploring, fishing, hunting and hiking so we put the Jeep to use. Besides I would go nuts sitting around camp or an RV park. I can do that at home.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 01:04 PM   #3

So we can go get a pizza.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 01:28 PM   #4

I’ve talked to a few people over the years who rent a car rather than buy and have a tow setup installed. One reason is arriving late in the day makes it easier, sometimes finding a place To store a tow dolly and the ability to always being able to backup.
Old 07-02-2020, 01:42 PM   #5

We outfitted our Grand Cherokee because we got tired of basing our travels around rental agencies hours and their or ability or willingness to pick us up and return us to the campground. Our daughter worked for Enterprise so we got a good discount but the schedule was a real PITA at times. In some places like Rodanthe NC there are other outfits that rent but they charge a premium for their rentals.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 02:31 PM   #6

Convenience. It’s all about convenience. It’s most likely the same reason you went from a TT to a MH. You may find you don’t need or want a toad. Not everyone does. Those of us that do have one like the benefit of mobility on our schedule and not someone else’s. It’s your RV lifestyle so you get to choose.
Old 07-02-2020, 03:07 PM   #7
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGoldsbury View Post
Had a TT for two years, recently upgraded to a Precept 31UL Class A. Looking for reasons why others got a Toad. I understand if I'm making long duration trips it's good to have something to sight see and run to the store, but so far I'm mostly 4-5 day duration trips so I'm looking for reasons why I need to spend the $$ to equip a vehicle for towing. Thanks
I'm with you, no need for a toad. Most of our trips are the same duration, but we rarely stay in the same campground more than 2 days. We like to go out and explore and play tourist, so pulling a toad would be a major PIA. Having a short rig, I can get in and out of every parking lot.

At the end of the afternoon, we pull into the CG and set up for the night.

If we need something, we make sure to pick it up on our travels before we get to the CG.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 04:02 PM   #8

As others have mentioned, we do it for the convenience and independence.

No need to be at the mercy of a rental company, it's my daily driver anyway, so the only additional cost is the equipment to make it towable, like someone else said, "so I can go get a pizza", or more often for us "make a beerrun".

We RV at the coast a lot, and DW likes to stay in private CGs down there. Some are close to the beach, some are not. It doesn't matter for us, we just throw everything in the Jeep and take off. We can drive as far up/down beach as we want until we find a spot we like.

As easy as it is to "play tourist" like RetiredOne talks about in his short rig (ours is LONG), it's even easier in a Jeep. I can literally get in/out of almost ANYWHERE.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 06:23 PM   #9
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
So we can go get a pizza.
You can have that delivered 😂

Old 07-02-2020, 07:25 PM   #10

We have a toad but don’t always bring it with us. When we are going someplace that the surrounding areas interest us and we want to explore we bring it other times we are good with staying put.
315Precept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 07:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
You can have that delivered ��
Been to plenty of places where it is too far out for pizza delivery and a lot of the local Mom and Pop places that are recommended do not deliver.
Old 07-02-2020, 08:05 PM   #12
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Wait, doesn't everyone buy a $20K+ vehicle and $4K of tow hardware, just so they can go pick up a $15 pizza?
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 08:09 PM   #13

Quote:
We thought so too... We found out that many won't - even with an on-line account and lots of rewards points. Domino's, Papa Johns and Marco's have all declined delivery to an RV park. It all depends on the locals and the reputation of the RV park. It seems that KOA is one that we have the most rejections, but could not say why.,
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 10:26 PM   #14
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
We thought so too... We found out that many won't - even with an on-line account and lots of rewards points. Domino's, Papa Johns and Marco's have all declined delivery to an RV park. It all depends on the locals and the reputation of the RV park. It seems that KOA is one that we have the most rejections, but could not say why.,
Uber eats.

I have never found a pizza place that would not deliver to RV parks, or motels but then I have a toad so I can drive to eat.

Old 07-03-2020, 03:32 AM   #15

Why have a Toad

We tow a 2003 Honda Civic that aesthetically is an eyesore behind our beautiful 2018.5 31UL. That being said, we rarely do not bring it. Much easier to hook up then a trailer, this particular car is very light, and we enjoy the wandering around new areas on backroads, dirt roads, etc., that I would never bring RV.
Old 07-03-2020, 05:14 AM   #16

First off I don’t have anywhere near $24k invested in my toad, more like $8k total. Bought a used Wrangler and my tow setup was less than $2k all in with a brake buddy. Second I personally have never used it to go for pizza. Without our toad we would have missed some amazing experiences, driving it into Mt Rushmore visitor center, up to the top of Whiteface mountain and the coastal road at Acadia National. Yes we could have rented a car but they don’t allow dogs and we have two.
315Precept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 05:47 AM   #17

Quote:
It depends upon what you like to do. We do a lot, and I mean a lot of trail exploring, fishing, hunting and hiking so we put the Jeep to use. Besides I would go nuts sitting around camp or an RV park. I can do that at home.

X2
Why not have a toad. No way would I not take a car along. Even with the shorter class c it is nice to be able to have car for all driving around. Cost is nothing compared to cost of rigs.

Enjoy the journey
Trapper2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 06:08 AM   #18

we have a 2019 jayco class c 22j and do not tow a car. use ENTERPRISE RENTAL, SO EASY THEY PICK YOU UP AT CG AND BRING YOU BACK. I CAN RENT A LOT OF CARS FOR 20K TOAD PLUS 4000 FOR HOOKUP. NO MAINTENANCE , INSURANCE, NO PLACE TO STORE IT WHEN NOT USED.
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 06:18 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherv View Post
we have a 2019 jayco class c 22j and do not tow a car. use ENTERPRISE RENTAL, SO EASY THEY PICK YOU UP AT CG AND BRING YOU BACK. I CAN RENT A LOT OF CARS FOR 20K TOAD PLUS 4000 FOR HOOKUP. NO MAINTENANCE , INSURANCE, NO PLACE TO STORE IT WHEN NOT USED.
As I mentioned in an earlier post Enterprise does not pick you up at all campgrounds. Select locations will pick you up and take you back but they have a distance limitation.

Also, during the shutdowns you'll be lucky if the Enterprise location is open and if open has more than one person working so no pickups.

Also, can you turn caps lock off. All caps in a forum indicates anger. Not cool.
Old 07-03-2020, 06:34 AM   #20

We had a reservation at beach rose but had to cancel due to shingles virus in right eye causing blury vision. Enterprise reservation confirmed but we canceled. Have not recovered from shngles yet...
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote