Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-21-2017, 11:55 AM   #1

Why valve extenders no included?!?

Since tire pressure too low went to Discount Tire to add valve extenders. ( RV shops gad 2 week wait). They said sorry couldn't handle 22.5 in tires.
Found a truck tire place that can add extenders now, but don't carry them and didnt know what size to buy somewhere.
Then had to call deslership where we bought unit back home to find out what we needed. Tech had to find a similar unit on the lot and crawl around to measure then call me back
Had to go to a 3rd place to buy the flexible 12 in extenders but only come in a set of 4 gor $60 and we only need 2. All this has taken a day out of our vacation but we want to be SAFE!
Then to the truck place.with the extenders to have the wheels taken off to put them on

All this running around and $125 later we can get a safe pressure in our mushy tires.
Our last RV was a cheaper brand and came with these things. They shouldn't be an add on any more than brakes especially when you spend 6 figures for a rig. Rant over
suscamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 01:07 PM   #2

Short answer? They gotta draw the line somewhere.

RV aftermarket devices and gadgets that save time, enhance safety, and make things generally easier when traveling, abound in places like Camping World across the country. If RV manufacturers included everything that solved a problem for the user, they would first have to anticipate what is important to each user, and then charge you another $20k for your rig after they included everything. Why wouldn't anyone want valve extenders? Dunno. Why wouldn't everyone want solar panels, six extra coach batteries, sway bars, super springs, super shocks, screened porch enclosures, high end stereo, surround sound theater systems, leather upholstery, marble floors, outside 54" televisions, gold plated fixtures .... .... you get the idea.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:33 PM   #3

But you can't put air in the rear inside tores without them
Old 03-21-2017, 02:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by suscamper View Post
But you can't put air in the rear inside tires without them
Usually a truck-specific air chuck will work, I have to use one with a straight foot on my rear 22.5" duals. Also have a pressure guage with same foot to check pressures.

Have you considered a TPMS to give you real-time pressure data? I know many of us won't travel without one, me included. All RV tires plus my toad's monitored and it has alerted me several times to a problem before it was catastrophic. Systems aren't cheap, but neither is a blowout at highway speeds!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 02:19 PM   #5

Thanks for info. You can imagine driving 1/2 hr to tire place and them saying they can't fill them was upsetting. This is our maiden voyage and felt lije we were our to sea with o life jacket
Old 03-21-2017, 03:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by suscamper View Post
Thanks for info. You can imagine driving 1/2 hr to tire place and them saying they can't fill them was upsetting. This is our maiden voyage and felt lije we were our to sea with o life jacket
I can imagine. It takes some getting used to that most tire stores and virtually zero service stations will have anything to do with tires or wheels the size that's on your Class A or my Super C. 19.5 or 22" wheels and tires also operate routinely at pressures some tire stores can't supply easily.

Carrying a spare is very cumbersome, and it's something most owners won't be able to change out themselves along the highway anyway. Too heavy and difficult. So, most don't have spares. Of course, there are a few exceptions. One of them a friend of mine who carries a very heavy duty bottle jack, a huge 6 foot breaker bar with the correct size socket, and a spare wheel and tire.

A couple of my rear dual tires have a very slow leak I have to troubleshoot and have checked. Of course, I haven't done that yet. I simply check them before rolling, and add pressure if needed. But I do carry a compressor and hoses on board my toad to keep them topped off.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:42 PM   #7

I would trade the extra TV outside for a spare tire and valve extenders any day!
Old 03-21-2017, 05:59 PM   #8

Haha!! Well, I don't think I'll be changing any spare tires on this thing any time soon, while on the road. Although, I may just go buy an extra tire to match the 6 I already have, instead of paying $600 for one to be delivered. I may be able to find a place for it in the basement. I did install my own extenders, but they aren't the source of the leak. That was happening before I installed the extenders. Don't have a clue how the previous owner was checking them, though. Turns out, the valve stems for the outside tires are aimed toward the inside, and in a position they can't be checked by even the steep angle of a truck pressure gauge.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:00 PM   #9

My in-laws have been RVing for 50 years and don't recommend the valve extenders because they can leak (they've known several people with low air in inconvenient places and all got rid of the valve extenders). I went to NAPA and bought a truck air gauge and a truck air chuck. No worries about an extender leaking and I can check and fill my inner duals anytime.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 06:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustdevil View Post
Haha!! Well, I don't think I'll be changing any spare tires on this thing any time soon, while on the road. Although, I may just go buy an extra tire to match the 6 I already have, instead of paying $600 for one to be delivered. I may be able to find a place for it in the basement. I did install my own extenders, but they aren't the source of the leak. That was happening before I installed the extenders. Don't have a clue how the previous owner was checking them, though. Turns out, the valve stems for the outside tires are aimed toward the inside, and in a position they can't be checked by even the steep angle of a truck pressure gauge.
My inner dual valves were turned also, a quick trip to Les Schwab and they turned them to line up with the hole in the outer rim.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 03:55 PM   #11

Extenders are just another point of failure, and a bad one at that. Also through off balance. I don't know anyone that uses them, and I know a lot of RV people. We use a TPMS, and if we are losing pressure there is a problem that needs correcting.
kevfra is offline   Reply With Quote