Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-10-2015, 01:29 PM   #1

Wind Noise In Driver & Passenger Area

We are getting lots of wind noise when we hit 65 mph in a 2014, 31UL. This can be a combination of headwind and speed or just speed in dead area/tailwind. Any one have same problem and/or fix?? At 55 in dead air no noise. Have taped front window & side windows and done testing, dealer has caulked the whole front end, I've even taped the little elevation lights to no avail. Help.
chuck0799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 08:19 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck0799 View Post
We are getting lots of wind noise when we hit 65 mph in a 2014, 31UL. This can be a combination of headwind and speed or just speed in dead area/tailwind. Any one have same problem and/or fix?? At 55 in dead air no noise. Have taped front window & side windows and done testing, dealer has caulked the whole front end, I've even taped the little elevation lights to no avail. Help.
We picked ours up today for almost the same problem, seemed like constant wind noise, they found a bolt hole missing a plug for the mirror they also adjusted both doors, we had to pay for this, our unit is a 2015 that we have not really been able to use due to all the little things the dealership did not take care of before delivery, we are having to take ours back for different things, next thing is the generator shuts off while driving, will not restart for about 1 1/2hrs later. If you hear of anyone having problems with that Please let me know. Thanks Georgia
groy1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 02:28 PM   #3

We have "extra" wind noise when I don't get the drivers window completely closed. I lock it but it still needs a gentle push/snug. After that, our wind noise is acceptable.
As for the generator shut down. I just saw a thread on here that indicated a sensor for low oil seems pretty sensitive....even to the extent of turning corners or coming to an abrupt stop. Best to always check the oil level prior to starting each time and really keep it full.
Also, both of you are invited to join other Precept Owners in the Precept Owners Group. If you sign up, check the "Group Tools" on the right side of the page so you can be notified when someone posts.
There are over 30 of us now and lots of great problems solvers and innovative thinkers.
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/gr...%27+group.html

Enjoy, Darrell
'13 Wrangler Sahara...AKAFUN
Roadmaster base plate
Ready Brute Elite towbar and brake combo
D&MAKAFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 02:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by groy1999 View Post
We picked ours up today for almost the same problem, seemed like constant wind noise, they found a bolt hole missing a plug for the mirror they also adjusted both doors, we had to pay for this, our unit is a 2015 that we have not really been able to use due to all the little things the dealership did not take care of before delivery, we are having to take ours back for different things, next thing is the generator shuts off while driving, will not restart for about 1 1/2hrs later. If you hear of anyone having problems with that Please let me know. Thanks Georgia
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...ept-27888.html

Here is the latest thread Georgia on the generator
'13 Wrangler Sahara...AKAFUN
Roadmaster base plate
Ready Brute Elite towbar and brake combo
D&MAKAFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 06:12 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by groy1999 View Post
We had the same problem with the generator in our 2015 Class C Greyhawk. Unfortunately after 2 months at the dealership and them taking it to 5 different visits to various repair shops, no-one could correct the issue. We ended up trading the RV out. Good luck and i hope they find the correction soon for you.
Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 03:54 PM   #6

In addition to what D&MAKAFUN suggested on wind noise (we had the same issue), check your mirrors. A slight adjustment to one or both's positioning (the shell, not the mirror) may do the trick. Worked for us.
SMI Duo "Stay in Play" Braking
Barley, our Golden Retriever, on board and Buster in spirit!

McGarrett50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 09:33 PM   #7

I found the wind noise to be coming from the rain weep holes at the bottom of the side windows. Taped the 4 holes on each side and loud noise is gone.
Trying to find a weep hole cover to fit the 1 1/4" long slot on the Hehr side windows on my 2104 Precept 31UL. Jayco sells package of 20 for $50. Will not cover under warranty.
Fred
saarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 11:26 AM   #8

2021 Alante’ and the wind noise is so loud you can’t hear conversations, phone calls or music. Ours is coming from the front the fixed glass panel forward of the passenger slider. You can see daylight between the glass and the gasket. I can slide a couple pieces of thin plastic from the bottom to the top of the glass panel. I’d caulk it , but fear that would void my warranty. But trying to get a warranty repair at my dealership is next to impossible. Any thoughts?
Davidarm320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 02:22 PM   #9

The "wind noise" is a very common problem and the easiest to fix. Your window isn't completely closed. They need to be closed very firmly. You'll know because the latch will be easy to engage when the window is completely closed.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 04:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
The "wind noise" is a very common problem and the easiest to fix. Your window isn't completely closed. They need to be closed very firmly. You'll know because the latch will be easy to engage when the window is completely closed.
Thanks for the tip, however, one the first 'fixes' the dealership had to do during delivery was to was fix the passenger sliding window that wouldn't lock.....it locks perfectly fine...it's the gasket on the fixed pane....I can see daylight between the inside edge of the glass and whatever gasket material they use..... thanks for responding though.....best...Dave
Old 01-31-2021, 05:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidarm320 View Post
Thanks for the tip, however, one the first 'fixes' the dealership had to do during delivery was to was fix the passenger sliding window that wouldn't lock.....it locks perfectly fine...it's the gasket on the fixed pane....I can see daylight between the inside edge of the glass and whatever gasket material they use..... thanks for responding though.....best...Dave
We unlock the window while travelling to reduce the noise. Also, put a thin wood strip along the bottom of the window. helps alot but not perfect.
saarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 08:37 PM   #12

Come ON.......a brand new $100K+ RV and I'm going to put shims in my windows and tape...NONSENSE....
Old 03-17-2021, 04:07 PM   #13

We have a 2020 Prestige 38H. Passenger side wide squeals terribly. Dealer replaced window noise decreased but still there. Apparently a seal between gasket frame and glass you can slide a playing card in between. They told me to get some alligator clamps. Seem very hokey to me. Anyone with a better fix?
Gfarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 07:41 PM   #14

I have a 2019 Alante 26x. Took it to my local Cummins shop for it's first service and they found an extra 7' of wiring harness tied up behind the Onan with some bare wire rubs where it was touching the chassis. Apparently this is a common condition on various motor homes because the harness that is supplied with the generator before installation
could be 10 feet or 30 feet. They trimmed it to length and no more possessed gen set. Worth a check..
PJ & Janna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 07:43 PM   #15

My dealer has agreed to replace the entire window, frame and gasket....says it's a common complaint.....we'll see...A. If it ever comes in B. If it works....meanwhile I've silicone'd the seam ....it works...but each trip I have to do it again...eh?....
Old 03-17-2021, 07:44 PM   #16

I could put 2 or 3 pages of paper through my gap....just adding.....
Old 06-21-2021, 02:10 PM   #17

Driver's window noise

We have a 3 month old 21 27U Alante.
When 55+ the driver's window makes so much noise we have to scream at each other. We push, pull, slam, lock, unlock
It's terrible. Any ideas? New window install?
Annwride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 02:23 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annwride View Post
We have a 3 month old 21 27U Alante.
When 55+ the driver's window makes so much noise we have to scream at each other. We push, pull, slam, lock, unlock
It's terrible. Any ideas? New window install?
We had the same thing only on the passenger side. The Jayco rep. said the window had be replaced and remounted. I caulked it myself because the window has been ordered for 4 months. I could slide a piece of cardboard between the vertical mount and the window glass itself. It's been fine since I did that. Good luck.
Old 06-23-2021, 10:19 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck0799 View Post
We are getting lots of wind noise when we hit 65 mph in a 2014, 31UL.
I have a 2014 as well..... this is what I advised another on this site.

My fix was make sure your mirrors are mounted and positioned outward just a bit so the wind does not hit the back of the mirror and flow toward your driver and passenger windows. Air should flow away from the coach from the mirror as much as possible not toward the coach. The mirror mounted should not be just squared straight if so then the mirror splits the air flow and sends half of it toward your window. Changing air direction off the mirror a little will minimize a lot of it. Hexagonal screws can be adjusted to turn the mount just a little away from the coach then adjust your driving view with the mirror accordingly.