Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-15-2019, 05:04 PM   #1

Winterizing Trouble

I have a 2018 Jayco PRECEPT 29v with a tankless water heater. I am unable to get the system to suck the antifreeze into the RV. I have the " winterizing " valves set but not working. It's going to be freezing here soon so any suggestions will be appreciated.
Gaffer75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 05:27 PM   #2

As a stopgap how about blowing it out. The little screw in gadget is only 6$ most places and there are plendy out there. Maybe borrow a compressor if needed. Or this would be a good chance to buy one?????? LOL 40 psi max.

I run red through and then blow it out a second time time to pick up any stray water in the lines.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 05:39 PM   #3

Thanks but blowing out the lines are not recommended with the tankless water heater.
Old 10-15-2019, 06:11 PM   #4

Did you flip the cone screen on the hose connection so that it points in and opens the check valve? A stubborn check valve is a common problem.
Old 10-15-2019, 06:31 PM   #5

Did not try that. Thanks for the suggestion. I will try that tomorrow. Sure hope it works as we're heading toward colder weather temperatures.
Old 10-21-2019, 06:02 AM   #6

Also, if you haven't figured it out yet. Remove water filter and fill that canister with anti freeze. This speeds up the process. Use a short hose for anti freeze going in and position it high as you can not on ground.

hawkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 06:11 AM   #7

Thanks. I was able to get the RV winterized but in order to accomplish that I had to reinstall the filter in the Truma tankless water heater. With the filter out the antifreeze just poured out of the heater. After winterizing was complete I removed the filter and almost nothing came out of the easy drain lever. Hope this was ok and I will find out when I try to use it later in warmer weather South of here.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:23 AM   #8

My Precept originally came with the Girard tankless which did not require doing anything to winterize. I had it replaced with the Truma Comfort model and it is recommended to bypass this unit. I received a card from Truma in the mail with the following instructions: ".....drain all water from the appliance. Truma recommends removing and storing the filter cartridge while winterized. Truma does not recommend the use of high pressure air as it may damage moving parts. Do not use antifreeze solutions......"
I installed a bypass kit myself so I am not running RV antifreeze through it. I could also use air if I chose since I have the ability to bypass it.
Since you have already run antifreeze through yours you have two choices. 1) Run water through the system again and then bypass the Truma (ie. install a bypass kit) before winterizing. 2) Do nothing and see what happens when you get to a warmer climate and you de-winterize. My guess is you'll be fine but the manufacturer is simply covering their butt.
Jayco should have done their homework when they chose to replace the Girard with the Truma in the newer models and should have included a bypass for winterizing purposes. Good luck with your situation and please let us know how it turns out.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:47 AM   #9

Thanks for replying. My PRECEPT 29V came with the Truma tankless water heater basic model. This model doesn't work in colder weather so I had it upgraded to the Comfort model by an authorized Truma installer. I was expecting that the winterizing switches in the water station would automatically bypass the heater, otherwise what's the purpose of the different positions of normal fresh water use, tank use, winterizing and sanitizing.
Old 10-23-2019, 04:49 PM   #10

Grumpy,
Thanks for the reminder about flipping the filter to push against the check valve. This helped me I forgot all about this check valve. I was able to winterize my Precept. Thanks again.

Dbrown is offline   Reply With Quote